Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Calling my electric teacher’s bluff

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    90
    Post Likes

    Calling my electric teacher’s bluff



    Context: this is the 24 volt side of a 120 input transformer.

    So he said the last line will cause a direct short. Really? One line is hot and neutral so if there is ever a direct connection, I’m thinking it would be a return path for the power.

    If it were 3 phase, and phase to phase connection then I would agree.

    If I’m wrong, I’m all ears for an explanation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    9,129
    Post Likes
    He's correct

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  3. Likes heatingman, VTP99, Bombboy90 liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    80,352
    Post Likes
    Thats a short.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. Likes heatingman liked this post.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,033
    Post Likes
    Yup a short..... Why do you want that line there?
    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

  7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    90
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Would this blow the transformer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    90
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Yup a short..... Why do you want that line there?
    I didn’t have it there in class, but someone else had it so I added it to mine just to pose this question


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    80,352
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabr7 View Post
    Would this blow the transformer


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Yes it would.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    va
    Posts
    1,870
    Post Likes
    No bluff....

  12. Likes Sabr7, heatingman liked this post.
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    90
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    It’s starting to make sense now, what threw me off was thinking that the neutral line returns unused voltage. This is true but only trace amounts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    SouthEast NC ICW & Piedmont Foothills
    Posts
    8,187
    Post Likes
    You will definitely come to the realization that all things electrical operate on magic smoke, let that magic smoke out and the electric item will cease to operate.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

  16. Likes dieseldude, dbacmc liked this post.
  17. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,033
    Post Likes
    The problem is related to how you calculate amps.

    You really need to figure it out yourself though so that it sticks.

    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    va
    Posts
    1,870
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabr7 View Post
    It’s starting to make sense now, what threw me off was thinking that the neutral line returns unused voltage. This is true but only trace amounts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Full voltage, not trace. Need more time on basic electricity.

  19. Likes heatingman liked this post.
  20. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Likes
    The generic simple thing I always said was “something needs to consume or eat the voltage before it gets back to the neutral.” Weather it is a light bulb a coil on a contactor or what have you. Just my easy way to remember it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. Likes Sabr7 liked this post.
  22. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    12,338
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabr7 View Post
    It’s starting to make sense now, what threw me off was thinking that the neutral line returns unused voltage. This is true but only trace amounts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not exactly.

    Neutral completes the circuit. Without it, nothing happens.

    Need 3 things.

    Source, path, load.

    Source in this case is the transformer. But could be a battery, utility, generator etc...

    Path is the physical wires (and case ground in a car or similar) and any switches.

    Load is anything consuming power

    Any complete path connected to a source without a load is a short circuit.

    Think of the circuit like a circle.

    Complete the circle with a load between the 2 sides of the source


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. Likes Sabr7, R600a, 2sac liked this post.
  24. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    90
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thanks for your explanations, this sheds light on my lack of clarity on the neutral, and honestly even googling the ‘purpose of the neutral wire’ doesn’t add any clarity


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    90
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Not exactly.

    Neutral completes the circuit. Without it, nothing happens.

    Need 3 things.

    Source, path, load.

    Source in this case is the transformer. But could be a battery, utility, generator etc...

    Path is the physical wires (and case ground in a car or similar) and any switches.

    Load is anything consuming power

    Any complete path connected to a source without a load is a short circuit.

    Think of the circuit like a circle.

    Complete the circle with a load between the 2 sides of the source


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got it, this, coupled with the other explanations makes me understand. I think I was looking into it more than what’s necessary.

    Always complete the circuit and give the electricity a job to do


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. Likes R600a liked this post.
  27. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    12,338
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabr7 View Post
    Got it, this, coupled with the other explanations makes me understand. I think I was looking into it more than what’s necessary.

    Always complete the circuit and give the electricity a job to do


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listen. No rush. Take your time, ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

    Quite literally having a solid grasp on the basic concepts of how electricity works is the most important thing you can do to ensure success in this career.

    Lots of knowledge here to glom onto.

    We were all where you are at some point.

    Hopefully your getting lots of lab time in your school


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. Likes 2sac, R600a, Sabr7 liked this post.
  29. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Hendersonville NC
    Posts
    382
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabr7 View Post
    It’s starting to make sense now, what threw me off was thinking that the neutral line returns unused voltage. This is true but only trace amounts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There must be a resistance between the got leg and the neutral in order for it not to become a direct short.. light bulb, motor, etc etc

    A saturated coil is a happy coil
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

  30. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    13,504
    Post Likes
    No such thing as unused voltage.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

  31. Likes R600a, Elfshadow liked this post.
  32. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    3,603
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Listen. No rush. Take your time, ask questions. The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

    Quite literally having a solid grasp on the basic concepts of how electricity works is the most important thing you can do to ensure success in this career.

    Lots of knowledge here to glom onto.

    We were all where you are at some point.

    Hopefully your getting lots of lab time in your school


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except the guru that graced us for a while. He was master electrician and service tech before he left the womb.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. Likes R600a, BBeerme liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •