Thread: Combustion Analyzer probe placement gas logs

Post Likes

Combustion Analyzer probe placement gas logs

Am I recalling correctly that my Insight CO/stack sensor should be slowly waved back and forth about an inch above the flames to check the exhaust of a direct vent gas log set? This old Valor was FULL of BIG soot balls and I want to get a baseline CO reading before looking for why it appears to be running fuel rich.

The last tech apparently helped the homeowner by "turning up the flame" because "it wasn't putting out enough heat"

Next time back I'll check gas pressure and investigate flu draft. The logs seemed to be in the correct location.

Post Likes
    I figured out the propane pressure is low and the "aeration" plate is probably mostly closed - will check next time. The air restrictors are of the wrong style and a shield is missing over the pilot light. I haven't figured out the make up air yet. Gas pressure ok at high end of range. CO steady from 4ppm to 14 ppm depending on where it is measured above the burner.
    Valor model 535XAP - Here is a flame picture just for general interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    this one has a glass cover and I'm not sure but I think those two bottom oval vents on the back are the make up air maybe. I had air blowing in through those while my smoke pen was drawing out the two top vents. Owner says he has the co linear vents with make up air in one line and combustion products in the other with a special cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    This is interesting. I am looking forward to seeing you get it figured out.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk