+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help identifying the tonnage on this Carrier Split system

Post Likes

Need help identifying the tonnage on this Carrier Split system

Hello,

Went out to look at this ancient carrier split system today for replacement. And this is the model number I got off of it. I will type the air handler because the model is hard to make out from the picture. The air handler model number is 40HH005300 Could anybody help me figure out the tonnage of both the air handler and condenser. Thanks in advance!

Name:  20210426_154529.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  82.6 KBName:  20210426_151850.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  121.9 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jf1202 View Post
    Hello,

Went out to look at this ancient carrier split system today for replacement. And this is the model number I got off of it. I will type the air handler because the model is hard to make out from the picture. The air handler model number is 40HH005300 Could anybody help me figure out the tonnage of both the air handler and condenser. Thanks in advance!
    With that combination of indoor and outdoor units, the Product Data manual states the total capacity is 45,000 btuh at design conditions (95º ODT, 80º IDB, 67º IWB), with a sensible heat ratio of .78.

I'm sure you know this already, but installing a new system based on the old system capacity is not the way to proceed with a replacement unit.

Many older systems are oversized for the home, and the duct work is undersized for system.

To avoid complaints from the home owner after the install, a heat load calculation would be the prudent way to determine the correct size for the new installation.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

3. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    38GR is sure an oldie early 70s. Looks like a matching air handler.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in