I'm getting ready to have two Daikin FIT systems installed. Currently, one is a 4-ton unit and the other is a 3-ton, but that may change. Click here for more details. Both are connected to Daikin 2-stage, variable-speed gas furnaces.

The Daikin's are replacing two old Janitrol 14-SEER single-stage furnaces. For the past 14 years, I've been using an Aprilaire 700 bypass humidifier, but only on the 4-ton garage-based furnace because the 3-ton is in unconditioned space in the attic. With this setup, I've been able to get about 35% relative humidity until I discovered the Run with Fan option this year, which enabled me to get up to 45% RH.

I'm trying to decide whether I should stick with the updated, and extremely reliable, Aprilaire 700 bypass humidifier or upgrade to an Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier. My main concerns are water and electric usage. I was told by Aprilaire tech support that they both use about the same amount of water (3 gallons per hour,) but in reading the reviews on Amazon many people have complained of extremely high electric bills will the Aprilaire 800, especially when powered with 240 volts.

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.