Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying mini splits online -vs-distributer

Post Likes

buying mini splits online -vs-distributer

Do any of you buy any of your equipment (mini splits) online? I am asking because for example my Daikin/goodman distributer is an hour drive from me. The prices I get it for at the distributer for Daikin mini splits I can get it online for the same price.

I was just wondering if the quality is any different or are the the exact same units. Just trying to budget my time better if I can.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I might be concerned with the warranty.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

3. Likes heatingman, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For my Fujitsus the supply house runs the #s. If it shows a Dot Com seller they charge a fee for warranty parts $200 or $250

5. Likes Zamoramax, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Our Rheem distributor won't even warranty online purchases even when we, one of their best customers, were going to do the work.

I wouldn't buy an expensive product online. Who knows how long they'll be around. Switch brands to someone closer.

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For myself, If I could save alot I might. If its just a couple hundred, then no.

Some parts I will buy online, again for myself to save money.

When I have to warranty something for a customer I will buy local.

That said, I personally have no issues installing customer supplied parts or equipment. Only warranty is labor in that case, and only for workmanship issues, which for me is not an issue. If a part fails, they have to source it themselves, or pay street rate for me to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shopman View Post
    Do any of you buy any of your equipment (mini splits) online? I am asking because for example my Daikin/goodman distributer is an hour drive from me. The prices I get it for at the distributer for Daikin mini splits I can get it online for the same price.

I was just wondering if the quality is any different or are the the exact same units. Just trying to budget my time better if I can.

Thanks
    I can get most equipment at my local distributors cheaper than the online stores. I would prefer to pay a little more to buy locally. I like to see their smiling faces.

Doesn't your distributor have delivery? Ask them if they want your business or not.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

11. Likes R600a, heatingman, theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Im looking into them for my house. Everything Ive read shows that the best ones( work way down in the dingle digits) wont honor warrant claims unless installed by a professional. Mr Cool makes precharged systems specifically set up for DIY. Trouble is their cold weather output is not suited for my northern climate. Mitsubishi, the one with the best low temp heat rating for sure wont honor DIY warranty . Again, Im not involved in HVAC and this is just things I found a year ago from net forums and digging around for information. Take it FWIW just watch out in the Warranty area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Then buy Mr. Cool S hit

Why waste out time?

Post Likes
    Thinking the first thing they ( the carrier ) do once its delivered to you, they have you sign the paperwork then leave. Once you open the box(es) up and find any damage your stuck with dealing with the online company you bought it from, as the paperwork you signed probably says in fine print it was delivered damage free or something like that.

Post Likes

Thanks
    Your supplier doesn't deliver ?

16. Likes jacob-k liked this post.
    Post Likes

Thanks
    They don't have deliveries ?

Post Likes
    I am speaking of Goodman/Daikin in particular. On delivery I assume since it is a main distribution center it would be an 18 wheeler delivering. I don't have a commercial address, I work out of a small shop at my residence they would not be able to get to. I was also talking mini splits only since they are so small/easy to deliver via UPS/FED EX.

I have not bought online because one I have always worried about the warranty, and the quality (I know they say the john deer equipment sold at big box stores is not the same as what you would get at a JD dealer), I was not sure if the HVAC equipment is the same.

Regards to warranty: I hold a masters license in my state in HVAC, if I fill out the warranty form/install I would think they have to honor it. If I have an issue i should be able to do my hour drive the the distribution center to get a new system/part if needed even if I bought online I think.

Regards to quality: The online daikin mini splits have the same model numbers as what I get at my distributer do you think the quality is any better, or are they made on the same assembly line and one unit goes to distributer the next one to some online seller?

I think to play it safe I will keep buying from the distributer, I would rather see them get my money than amazon/online web hvac seller, I was just curious because it would save me alot of time.

Thanks

Post Likes
    buy online with mitsu and the warranty is 5 years instead of 12 with diamond dealer installation. Install DIY and no warranty. Buy yourself and call a company to install and maybe they will and maybe they wont install it. Where I'm at its a bit of an underserved area so we all seem to have all the business we want just cant find employees to grow. So its pretty frequent we get a customer purchased equipment call that is so pissed off because no company will install it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    buy online with mitsu and the warranty is 5 years instead of 12 with diamond dealer installation. Install DIY and no warranty. Buy yourself and call a company to install and maybe they will and maybe they wont install it. Where I'm at its a bit of an underserved area so we all seem to have all the business we want just cant find employees to grow. So its pretty frequent we get a customer purchased equipment call that is so pissed off because no company will install it.
    We gave a bid to a guy with Mitsu equipment for as i recall around 15k. A couple weeks later we get a call from the guy begging us to install the equipment we bought online for 10k because "nobody" will come and install it for him, and his wife is about to kill his ass. I told him it's June and our phone is blazing with people who want to pay our price. Why woulde I put them off to come and save your marrage.

21. Likes jacob-k, kdean1, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you look at the Daikin warranty paperwork it specifically states no internet warranty unless installed to local and state codes by a licensed dealer. I imagine if you pulled permits and got necessary inspections that would qualify, but you local shop may still make you go to the online seller for any warranty parts. That's what Mitsubishi does.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    We gave a bid to a guy with Mitsu equipment for as i recall around 15k. A couple weeks later we get a call from the guy begging us to install the equipment we bought online for 10k because "nobody" will come and install it for him, and his wife is about to kill his ass. I told him it's June and our phone is blazing with people who want to pay our price. Why woulde I put them off to come and save your marrage.
    We install generacs. Very few people here have a Generac Tech ID. No tech ID, no tech support. 95% of the Generac installers cant fix them and therefore cant warranty them.

Customer calls us for quote. uses someone else for install. Has an issue with equipment. installer says call generac. generac gives them our number since we are certified with tech ID. customer calls us. Dispatch tells them we only work on Generators we install. I sleep with a smile....

24. Likes BALloyd, heatingman, theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Flyersfan,
    Not sure what constitutes a licensed dealer with goodman/Daikin, but I have had an account with the goodman dist (now goodman/daikin) for over 20 years. I have bought a ton of equipment from them, but I am small and dont do a ton of business with them. I am a licensed contractor ( started trade in 1987, state HVAC full masters license for the past 18 years). I have never had any issues in the past with warranty claims with them (on the goodman equipment side) have not had to deal any warranty claims with daikin mini splits yet. I would assume I would meet the qualifications for buying online/installing with the warranty. However to be safe, plus I usually get a ton of other items while at distributer, I will keep buying from my distributer and not online, just to be safe with the warranty.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Cant you just have the distributor use fed ex/ups to ship from them to you?

Or get some local delivery service to do it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Cant you just have the distributor use fed ex/ups to ship from them to you?

Or get some local delivery service to do it?

Goodman/Amana/daikkin here in East Tx delivers with a bob-tail e/w lift gate . They were 50+ miles away but came thru every Thursday. Every supplier I used delivered at least once a week and a couple delivered twice a week. Closest was 30 miles.

Post Likes
    I take it nobody in this thread services daikin ductless units. Many sell them and many install them but if you are so lucky to have to clean one of those POS daikin ductless units you wouldn't sell one to your worst enemy. Sorry, forgot to say, in my opinion.....
    Pay a couple bucks extra and buy/sell/service Mitsubishi. The local distributor made a video on how they recommend you clean a daikin indoor unit and it involved using zip ties to hang the evaporator coil off the back mounting plate so you can basically uninstall the unit to clean it. Once removed from the wall you still have to deal with the horrible blower wheel/motor design. Then all the extras plastic crap that is in the way and impossible to remove.

Pm's shouldn't take 3 hrs on a ductless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast