Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying mini splits online -vs-distributer

Post Likes
    Just recently my friend who does install jobs with me asked to put a Daikin mini split at his uncles house. We actually talked about it few weeks before his uncle bought the unit on Amazon. I told him to tell his uncle not to buy it online because of warranty and support issues you wil have with a online vender vs local vender. I told him I can get local equipment easily. Nope he didnt listen. His Daikin system came in..we installed it. Install came out nice. Few days later
    my friend tells me the daikin system is leaking water...bc the drain pan is cracked. Lollllllllll

2. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I might be concerned with the warranty.
    There are certainly many online outfits that do NOT provide support, and other's do. But of course it's very common that a tech might mess something up and then try to warranty the broken parts which is wrong since it wasn't actually a manufacturers defect issue. Many online outfits are aware of that which is why they might not be willing to help you in the event of a possible warranty problem.

I've actually started sourcing ALL my ductless inverter equipment from an online distributor on the east coast since last summer and frankly I couldn't be happier with how it's worked out. What got me started down this road, began with a warranty dispute I had with my local Mitsubishi supplier, and we were supplied a 12K heat pump that was DOA. The compressor was defective but Mitsubishi would NOT let us simply exchange the equipment. They were willing to supply a new compressor, but of course we had to pay for the labor, and materials. I felt burned by this and I realized that since my local suppliers won't really take care of us when theirs a legit warranty issue, than why pay all that extra money to source it locally under a popular brand. So I jumped ship.....

Media has been making a lot of product for Trane, Bosch, LG, and Carrier these last 5 years and recently they started offering their ductless products directly under their name through a distributor on the east coast. I connected with them and it's worked out really well over all. I can source really nice equipment at a price that is sometimes HALF of what Mitsubishi charges and the service has been just fine. They have 3-4 tech support people who are very helpful in case I have a question and they have taken really good care of me when there was a problem. Typically orders take about a week to arrive and it's nice having it shipped right to my shop instead of driving out to get it like before.

It's really important that I emphasize too that the Media ductless equipment is the very BEST that I've ever worked with too. There ducted air handlers are considerably better than Mitsubishi in every way imaginable and they simultaneously cost HALF as much.

4. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    We gave a bid to a guy with Mitsu equipment for as i recall around 15k. A couple weeks later we get a call from the guy begging us to install the equipment we bought online for 10k because "nobody" will come and install it for him, and his wife is about to kill his ass. I told him it's June and our phone is blazing with people who want to pay our price. Why woulde I put them off to come and save your marrage.
    That's happened to all of us. I usually tell the guy that look what if there's a problem with this equipment you bought online? Say I were to agree to install it and the equipment had a bad board then I'm still gonna want to be paid for all my labor. I'm going to feel really awkward having to bill you for all my labor when your equipment isn't working yet. What if the board goes out 6 months from now. Of course it's not an installation defect problem but since I was the one that touched it last the client my try to pin it on me anyway. Lot's of potential problems if I install equipment the customer purchased so sorry but NO.

Post Likes
    "It's really important that I emphasize too that the Media ductless equipment is the very BEST that I've ever worked with too. There ducted air handlers are considerably better than Mitsubishi in every way imaginable and they simultaneously cost HALF as much."

How to find a source? You can't come to Indiana from Belleview!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ekid View Post
    "It's really important that I emphasize too that the Media ductless equipment is the very BEST that I've ever worked with too. There ducted air handlers are considerably better than Mitsubishi in every way imaginable and they simultaneously cost HALF as much."

How to find a source? You can't come to Indiana from Belleview!
    Feel free to send me a PM

8. Likes ekid liked this post.
    Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    Fujitsu voids the warranty if purchased online at least the claim so on their dealer portal. The problem with online sales from the manufacturer's side; Any nincompoop with a credit card can buy and install.
    I see lots of mini split units in my parts with some of the most interesting wiring. The most recent was a two wire romex on a Fujitsu, terminal 1 was black, 2 was white, ground was bare copper and 3 was a low voltage 2 conductor with the red on 3 and the white also on ground. The problem was on the blower, the 1 wire was on 3, not sure how they screwed that up. I figure there must have been an inside guy and and outside guy and bad communication skills
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12