Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: compressor change R-421A or R-407C or R-22

Post Likes
    Rs44b/ 453a if r22 isn't an option.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Oil pretty much always mixes no matter what kind. I've had parts guys tell me if you switch to using synthetic oil in your car you can't go back and I just laugh. It's funny how synthetic oils are surrounded by so many myths.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    That is one of the most common myths I’ve heard as well. I’ve really never heard somebody give a reasonable explanation of why you can’t go back to regular oil either.

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    That is one of the most common myths I’ve heard as well. I’ve really never heard somebody give a reasonable explanation of why you can’t go back to regular oil either.
    Especially when oil formulators freely mix all types of oil to get the required characteristics.

"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I apologize if that is in fact true and it doesn't matter to mix the oils, perhaps I was misinformed. I was taught at Carrier factory training that mineral oil doesn't mix with poe oil, that it will coagulate, and create a sludge rather than mix. Attached image of Emerson bulletin stating not to use mineral oil with HFC blends.

A saturated coil is a happy coil
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

6. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACmedic911 View Post
    I apologize if that is in fact true and it doesn't matter to mix the oils, perhaps I was misinformed. I was taught at Carrier factory training that mineral oil doesn't mix with poe oil, that it will coagulate, and create a sludge rather than mix. Attached image of Emerson bulletin stating not to use mineral oil with HFC blends.

I think what happened is people put POE in old mineral oil systems that had been brazed on over the years with no nitrogen so they were full of oxide build up and the POE stripped all of that out of the tubes and caused that sludge to end up in the screens so people decided that meant that Poe and mineral oil didn't mix and made sludge.
    On top of that mineral oil systems that were not totally dry which then had POE added would have failures due to the POE breakdown in the presence of moisture and that would also convince people that POE oil was not mixable with mineral oil.

I was not around in those days but that is the story I have gleaned from those who seemed to know and it made sense to me.

"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

8. Likes droopylee95 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACmedic911 View Post

I was meaning the synthetic oil vs conventional oil for engines and such. But to the Poe and mineral oil, when that all first came out they wanted us to use different gauges and told us that if the 2 oils were mixed at all it would basically blow up. Well all that turned out not be be the case so who knows what all else we’ve been told is way exaggerated. Guess the saying of believe nothing you hear and half of what you see, rings pretty accurate.

Post Likes
    I was meaning the synthetic oil vs conventional oil for engines and such. But to the Poe and mineral oil, when that all first came out they wanted us to use different gauges and told us that if the 2 oils were mixed at all it would basically blow up. Well all that turned out not be be the case so who knows what all else we’ve been told is way exaggerated. Guess the saying of believe nothing you hear and half of what you see, rings pretty accurate.
    Thanks for clarification.. team work!

Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

Post Likes
    I'd personally leave it 22 if the system was leak free to begin with unless the customer wants to update it against future repair costs. Depends on how and how much the system holds. I never had a issue replacing a compressor with POE in a 22 system.
    The issue with MO99 is only certain supply house carry it, so its not readily available.

12. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btjfitter View Post
    I'd personally leave it 22 if the system was leak free to begin with unless the customer wants to update it against future repair costs. Depends on how and how much the system holds. I never had a issue replacing a compressor with POE in a 22 system.
    The issue with MO99 is only certain supply house carry it, so its not readily available.
    I’ve noticed that as well even with other replacements, not all supply houses carry certain ones. Mo99 is carried by the carrier dealer in our area, pretty much all of em have 407, Locke carries nu22,427,421, our trane dealer only has 407. Maybe it wouldn’t be such a pain in the butt if everybody would label what they put in the machine the way we’re supposed to. Like I said before I’ve worked on some that I don’t know what the hell kinda chemistry is going on in the machine cuz everything is all wacky and not labeled so ya just make it work best ya can and roll on.

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in