Thread: Heat Pump efficiency and low temps 2021 - Replacement existing system

Post Likes

Confused Heat Pump efficiency and low temps 2021 - Replacement existing system

So I am working on buying a house with a 3 ton Heat Pump built in 97 with an addition in 2005/6?. Insulation level are mixed 2x6 and 2x4 framing. Not sure on insulation status. We will be redoing exterior and adding 1-2 inch of foam with updated air sealing from the exterior. We will probably replace the windows as well.
    We are also converting a 24x24 garage into living space. 1972 sqft. before conversion.
    We tend to drop the temperature in the house to about 63/64 in the winter as we go to bed. Makes for a better/deeper sleep and raise the temp to 67-69@7AM.
    During the summer we drop the temp at night to the same 63/64 and let it naturally warm up to 72.
    We are in South West Idaho by Twin Falls.

Heat Pump installed is a Bryant 661CJ036-E and FC4DNF036 installed when addition was done.

What do you guys advise? Should I replace the Heat Pump with a modern 4ton or leave it? Ground based heat pump?

Long term I would like to add solar and a wind mill. Heating and cooling = 31% of the average electric bill. Reducing that reduces our solar requirements.

Thanks for any advice. If there are any additional questions you have feel free to ask.

Post Likes
    I forgot to mention ceilings are average R-38-40.