+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Compressor failed after a couple hours.....*gulp*

Post Likes
    Possible

Post Likes
    I believe that is a low side connection, The hi press port in at 12:00 as viewed from the oil pump end of the comp. That is where the other flexible line on the oil press control connects to the comp head. I wondered the same thing. I also thought about the Schrader fitting at the oil return line into the comp crankcase, is there an insert in there?

Post Likes
    Looks like a tee at the crankcase where the oil feeds back in.

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDaddy420 View Post
    Looks like a tee at the crankcase where the oil feeds back in.

I'm thinking maybe an insert in the "run" connection, not the bull fitting.

Post Likes
    Thats a low pressure access point for an MR compressor. It listed in copeland AE bulletin AE4-1094 R7. I'd post a pic but either I can't figure out how or am not able to.

Post Likes
    Ok. I am going to stick, for the moment, with my idea of floodback washing out the oil.

Copeland states:

"What is the recommended super heat of Copeland compressors?

To insure proper compressor cooling and lubrication the minimum operating compressor superheat is 20 ˚F"

MINIMUM superheat.

You have 20deg superheat with a 30' lineset run. When coming out of defrost there is a possibility of flooding on pull down.

30-40deg superheat on a freezer at the compressor is still a 30deg suction line, plenty cool for the compressor.

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

7. Likes Shane Bird liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It’s a low side...
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Post Likes
    I’m at a loss....ILl finish another job tomorrow and I will take the bottom
    Of the oil separator off and see it the oil is in there.. either way I have a failed
    System, and I need to find out why the oil didn’t return..and the oil safety didn’t do its job.

Post Likes
    Most first warranties are a given. The only first time fails I have seen a first time warranty rejected by Emerson was a three phase compressor that had been single phased. A second time fail will be put under a microscope and good luck getting a third time one under warranty.

Post Likes
    My supplier told me not to replace the compressor, he suggested I install a whole new walk-in and
    Condensing unit..told me the owner got his money’s worth out of this system..
    So when I went and bought the compressor, he didn’t like it..and I’m sure I’ll hear about it...again.

I don’t want to put another compressor in...not until and unless I know what the frick happend
    To this one..If the oil is in the separator, I will remove it and install a warranty compressor..if they will give me one..

Post Likes
    Update...today Source showed up to evaluate the system because the compressor wouldn’t start
    They couldn’t do a complete evaluation, but said the separator is the likely cause..it’s not a factory install.
    I have to figure out how to tell my supplier, if the separator failed why would they replace the c0mpressor?/
    But the safety didn’t do its job as well...

Post Likes
    Double failure is rare but can happen.

Check and recheck.

Post Likes
    If the separator doesn’t have the oil, what would cause the oil to be in the evap or c0ndensor?..I’ll be taking
    It apart tomorrow..just trying to get my ducks in a row for my supplier..he did n
    t want me to do a c0mpressor..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    If the separator doesn’t have the oil, what would cause the oil to be in the evap or c0ndensor?..I’ll be taking
    It apart tomorrow..just trying to get my ducks in a row for my supplier..he did n
    t want me to do a c0mpressor..
    Oil pressure safety is easy
    Hook N2 to the control. Set for 9# ‘s drop to 8 and wait.

Post Likes
    There’s no oil in the sight glass..pretty sure it’s gone

Post Likes
    Www I just noted something...the new oil switch is a PENN N45NCB..I asked for
    A JOHNSON P45NCA...I’m thinking the alarm is the only difference......

Didn’t use the brown wire

Post Likes
    Wouldn't it be a P45 ?

Post Likes
    My bad, it’s a
    P

Post Likes
    I hate to keep bringing new things to this conversation, but someone mentioned the service valve on the separator
    Needing to be “cracked”..this valve was 99.98% back seated..
    I noticed this today

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Looking at the photo the oil separator appears to be a Temprite 500 series accessible impingement type, probably a model 504 (1⅛") or 505 (1⅜") depending on the connection size. The 500 separator has impingement screens which collect the oil mist, allowing the droplets of oil to fall to the bottom of the separator where it's fed back to the compressor through a float valve.

https://temprite.com/products/conven...rs/500-series/

Attachment 823467

It appears to be a replacement by the 1⅛" x 5/8" reducing fitting and at first look it appears to be way oversized as it was customary to select a separator according to the discharge line size, however Hussmann as the OEM would tend to specify an oversized separator with custom connections corresponding to the discharge line size.

The missing oil from the compressor sump has to be either in the oil separator or the evaporator. My suspicion is that it's in the separator as a result of a stuck float or blocked line. The OP did say he blew out the return line but there may well be debris (crap) lodged in the float valve.

Of course it possible that it's in the evaporator even though it's located above the compressor the original suction line sized for low temp R12 could be too big for proper oil return with R404A. We would need to have the suction line size at the evaporator to the estimate proper line size for R404A.
    Here’s the instructions, no mention of the service valve, which was back seated, and I didn’t add any oil..

https://temprite.com/downloads/500_Install.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in