Thread: Carrier EEV

Post Likes

Carrier EEV

We sold this customer a new chiller. But while thats in its 8 weeks to deliver time frame I need to make the current chiller work.

What I need to know is on the carrier chillers with the EEV what powers it. Sure i know its 3 some thousand steps but i am looking for the voltage, and is it power open, power close.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Is this a 30 series chiller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    30rb. in the manual it shows looking for 6v dc at the valve. I hope this board works tomorrow and i can check the voltage live.

Post Likes
    Exv board powers the valve and yes it powers open and close.
    What is the problem ?
    Gibbo

Post Likes
    Yes 30 series

Post Likes
    Is the plan to open part way and hope for the best? The exv board power the open and close windings I believe. They will/may work but lockouts will happen. I have used to sporlan tool to crank it open 30%+/- until new exv board
    Scame

7. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    As far as I know, its a bipolar motor, which means that there's a set of windings for each direction, and it requires a pulsed signal with the proper phase relationship between the wires to make it step. So, its not just apply power open, power close

There's not much you can do except drive it part way open through the test mode or use a Sporlan tester and then unplug it. I doubt that would operate very long like that. I assume theres some reason like a failed exv board that you cant do that? There aren't that many issues that have a work around, other than a proper repair. what's wrong with it?

Post Likes
    The EXV board pulses voltage in sequences to the bi polar windings. Using a digital meter sometimes is misleading so the use of an analog meter indicates better. My old Simpson 250 set on DC volts would show needle bounce. My fluke digital would generally just show some numerical aberrations. If you get an opportunity to save an exv motor that you know is good you can use it to test an exv board output when utilizing service test.

Post Likes
    Pull the charge on that circuit, pull the power head on the valve, manually stroke it open and closed and observe. Im assuming you already ohmed out the windings, the only other thing it can be is the driver board. If the valve has a sight glass you dont even need to pull it.

11. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    now it gets interesting. its powered by 12 volts. by the diagram it has 2 motors in it. it looks like it powers both one gets normal polarity, the other gets reversed polarity.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Post Likes
    Get the IOM, there is a clear troubleshooting procedure for checking the EXV and the driver board. Have you verified the transducer and the thermistor are accurate?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillertech4 View Post
    Get the IOM, there is a clear troubleshooting procedure for checking the EXV and the driver board. Have you verified the transducer and the thermistor are accurate?

We still havent been told what the actual problem is, OP is apparently hung up on the idea of finding a way to drive the valve motor. But I'd like to know what the actual problem is that this chiller has, and what is meant by "make the current chiller work"

Imma laugh when it turns out to be a bad SST thermistor or something.

15. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    they work. I'm trying to get the actual operation figured out so I can retrofit a new controller into a 30HX

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool breeze 38 View Post
    they work. I'm trying to get the actual operation figured out so I can retrofit a new controller into a 30HX
    Well, I certainly could be mistaken, but the EEV on an RB is not the same as an HX, I wouldn't necessarily assume they are the same electrically, either. Why did you ask about the valves in a 30RB if you were thinking about a 30HX?

EDIT, I just started thinking about how nuts your plan is. How are you going to control the oil pumps and all the other pieces? An 06N compressor is a mighty expensive piece of hardware to be experimenting with. Why jump through all those hoops? You got a bad HSIO or something?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    Well, I certainly could be mistaken, but the EEV on an RB is not the same as an HX, I wouldn't necessarily assume they are the same electrically, either. Why did you ask about the valves in a 30RB if you were thinking about a 30HX?

EDIT, I just started thinking about how nuts your plan is. How are you going to control the oil pumps and all the other pieces? An 06N compressor is a mighty expensive piece of hardware to be experimenting with. Why jump through all those hoops? You got a bad HSIO or something?
    I was thinking the same thing, the OP isnt doing a very good job of painting any type of realistic picture for us. Im willing to try and help but its scattered all over the place. What kind of machine are you working on and what is the actual issue?

Post Likes
    I’m still trying to get back to 1 particular building that keeps having high SH trip very randomly on stage 2 of the carrier chiller to troubleshoot..so far others mentioned 1 glycol pump was off, air damper actuator was replaced and new Suction sensor ordered...

These are things I enjoy doing to finally figure it out...but I get no good information from the other techs I can use yet, “because carrier was called and they said......

I want to know what the other techs saw, not what carrier said..

Post Likes
    yeah the psio are bad. they are 7500 to have rebuilt. and this hotel has 1 of 4 compressors working>

I can write a control program for anything if I know the proper sequence and voltage control.

I was working on an HX the day I started the post. To see how a working unit operated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool breeze 38 View Post
    yeah the psio are bad. they are 7500 to have rebuilt. and this hotel has 1 of 4 compressors working>

I can write a control program for anything if I know the proper sequence and voltage control.

I was working on an HX the day I started the post. To see how a working unit operated.
    Are you still back east? Did it just lose the program? I know someone that will do it for a couple grand.