Thread: Licenses required for equipment repair & Installation

Post Likes

Confused Licenses required for equipment repair & Installation

I am having difficulties finding information on what license is required for specific work (Ontario, Canada). (What contractor should be hired for various equipment based specifically on licensing)

Scope/equipment: (All commercial equipment)

DCW (Domestic cold water) Booster pump motor & Starter? (Electrician?)
    DCW piping and pumps (Cold water distribution no heating or cooling)? (Plumber ?)
    Garage exhaust fans and starters? (Electrician?)
    Carbon dioxide monitors over 48vac? (Electrician?)
    Fresh Air fan without Heating or Cooling electrical portion? (Electrician?)
    Fresh Air fan without Heating or Cooling mechanical portion?
    Stand alone exhaust fans electrical side (Garage, rooftop)? (Electrician?)
    Stand alone exhaust fans mechanical portion (Garage, rooftop)?
    Any voltage over 48vac not attached or required for a Heating or Cooling Unit/equipment? (Electrician?)

I know HVAC (313A with a G1) often work on this equipment but does it really fall within there scope/license?
    Thank you.

Post Likes
    I believe your 2 missing links, (Fresh air and exhaust mechanical) would be HVAC. To further complicate things, that stuff might be split between the HVAC sheetmetal (ductwork), and HVAC mechanical (gas piping and startup and maybe control wiring). As far as you are concerned though, that will usually be done by the same HVAC company, just different people. The HVAC mechanical guy might also need to get involved with the controls wiring/start up for the CO2/garage exhaust system and the plumbing pumps, since the plumbers and electricians sometimes aren't smart enough to figure that stuff out.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Thank you for the reply.
    This is strictly in the sense of licensing, not being smart enough lol. As for fresh air and exhaust mechanical I have not been able to find in the 313d or Gas code any mention they can be worked on unless there is a gas or refrigeration portion (At least in Canada). Again this is not about who is more qualified it is specifically in regards to what their license states. ESA (electrical) specifically states the only acception to the rule when it comes to electrical is if the equipment is directly connected or required for Gas or refrigerant. Hence why I don't know if Booster pumps, stand alone exhaust, mua without htg or cooling all might fall outside the scope.

Post Likes
    Not sure about Ontario. But here in manitoba maintenance and repair other than gas systems require no license.
    Obviously with refrigeration the environmental license is required for anything involving the refrigerant end of things.
    For equipment installation up to 20 amp hvac or gas fitters license also covers the electrical from panel to equipment.
    For smaller pumps etc generally it's hvac installing the pumps and electrician running the circuit.
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.