+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused about gfci on generator tripping

Post Likes

Confused about gfci on generator tripping

I have a friend who asked me to look at something electrical at his house. He has a male 4 prong plug on a cord connected in his panel. The other end plugs into his generator. The cord is connected to a double pole 30 amp breaker which is off. There is a 35 amp breaker on the generator which is a gfci that trips immediately when he plugs in the cord. There is no load because the breaker is off in the panel. He text me and said he disconnected the ground in the panel and it quits tripping the gfci. I don't understand why it is tripping

Post Likes
    Really it could just be a ground fault in the cord. Or it could be the gfi on the generator not playing nice with household wiring.
    Most generators use a bonded ground \neutral.
    And sometimes they don't get along well with household ground rod and neutral buss applications.
    But I'd be checking the cord with my megger personally

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice. He has used 2 new cords. I think you are correct about the 2 don’t play nice together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in