Thread: Key west commercial tech

Post Likes

Key west commercial tech

Looking to move to key west/lower keys. Anyone know a decent commercial refrigeration co down there??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chr358 View Post
    Looking to move to key west/lower keys. Anyone know a decent commercial refrigeration co down there??
    no but if you find a good resi position lmk cus we would love to move there as well..
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

Post Likes
    I used to avoid killing my future ex-wife (this was an error in judgment but hey; we all make mistakes) I used to fly down to Key West and kick-it for a while. One of amusements, besides lounging in tiki bars and chatting up the locals, became looking at boats for sale. Somehow that morphed into buying a sailboat. I kept it anchored out near Christmas Tree island - almost straight out from the Mallory Square dock.

One time I got up at just after dawn and heard a D/B horizontal screw compressor running. I called the water taxi and circled around town until I found it in the penthouse mechanical room of an ice plant. Two 200 HP machines - one was running and one wasn't. Somebody caught me up there and I said:

Look; I heard the screw from way out on my boat so I came see who had screw compressors running. Sorry; I was just curious - I'm outa here.

What? How the hell do you know what screw compressors sound like?

Work on them all the time - the sound is unmistakable - I'd know one anywhere.

Where do you say you heard it From?

So we walk out onto the little stairs balcony platform and I point. Hell; it's so far I'm not even sure the little dot I pointed to was the right boat - a mile at least. <g>

Think you can get the other one working? It's been down for weeks - we're waiting for some ******* from Miami to come does to look at it.

Miami Mike? You're better off with me; I'm pretty sure. <g>

So he gets me all tools I need and I tweak the bad one into working, adjust the oil pressure, DSH, I set up the load/unload speeds, etc. Afterwards he's still not back so I go over the running unit; loads speeds are all too fast, etc.

When he gets back he's pretty amazed by it all and drags me downstairs to some guy's office: "You can call Miami - both compressors are running - tell them to forget it.

What? What happened? How did you get it going after all this time?

This guy did it.

Who the hell are You?

And blah, blah, blah - they insisted on paying me and I told them to just leave me a message at the tiki bar - it was right next to Turtle Krauls - if they needed anything else. Later the ice plant mechanic went there looking for me and told everybody the story. Key West was a pretty small town in those days and everybody knew everybody. In no time I was wandering all over town fixing all kinds of refrigeration equipment - everybody had some problem or other and was 'waiting for somebody from Miami'. <g> I'm sure there must be an actual service refrigeration company there now - but I was too stupid in those days to just stay and be The Company. <g>

Actually; I couldn't put my hands down and say: "You Win honey - it's all yours - see ya! You can keep everything but me." I just HAD to keep getting back off the stool for one-more-round whenever the bell rang. And later, although missing half a million dollars, I guess I 'won' the divorce-fight. It was a damned shallow victory though - I can tell you that. <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

4. Likes HVACmedic911 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I used to avoid killing my future ex-wife (this was an error in judgment but hey; we all make mistakes) I used to fly down to Key West and kick-it for a while. One of amusements, besides lounging in tiki bars and chatting up the locals, became looking at boats for sale. Somehow that morphed into buying a sailboat. I kept it anchored out near Christmas Tree island - almost straight out from the Mallory Square dock.

One time I got up at just after dawn and heard a D/B horizontal screw compressor running. I called the water taxi and circled around town until I found it in the penthouse mechanical room of an ice plant. Two 200 HP machines - one was running and one wasn't. Somebody caught me up there and I said:

Look; I heard the screw from way out on my boat so I came see who had screw compressors running. Sorry; I was just curious - I'm outa here.

What? How the hell do you know what screw compressors sound like?

Work on them all the time - the sound is unmistakable - I'd know one anywhere.

Where do you say you heard it From?

So we walk out onto the little stairs balcony platform and I point. Hell; it's so far I'm not even sure the little dot I pointed to was the right boat - a mile at least. <g>

Think you can get the other one working? It's been down for weeks - we're waiting for some ******* from Miami to come does to look at it.

Miami Mike? You're better off with me; I'm pretty sure. <g>

So he gets me all tools I need and I tweak the bad one into working, adjust the oil pressure, DSH, I set up the load/unload speeds, etc. Afterwards he's still not back so I go over the running unit; loads speeds are all too fast, etc.

When he gets back he's pretty amazed by it all and drags me downstairs to some guy's office: "You can call Miami - both compressors are running - tell them to forget it.

What? What happened? How did you get it going after all this time?

This guy did it.

Who the hell are You?

And blah, blah, blah - they insisted on paying me and I told them to just leave me a message at the tiki bar - it was right next to Turtle Krauls - if they needed anything else. Later the ice plant mechanic went there looking for me and told everybody the story. Key West was a pretty small town in those days and everybody knew everybody. In no time I was wandering all over town fixing all kinds of refrigeration equipment - everybody had some problem or other and was 'waiting for somebody from Miami'. <g> I'm sure there must be an actual service refrigeration company there now - but I was too stupid in those days to just stay and be The Company. <g>

Actually; I couldn't put my hands down and say: "You Win honey - it's all yours - see ya! You can keep everything but me." I just HAD to keep getting back off the stool for one-more-round whenever the bell rang. And later, although missing half a million dollars, I guess I 'won' the divorce-fight. It was a damned shallow victory though - I can tell you that. <g>
    LMAO

Post Likes
    I dont do resi so dont know what to say. But I did just get back from there and everyone I talked to about the issue says theres such a need for commercial techs its crazy

Post Likes
    I'm sure they need resi techs too.. i can handle some commercial work.. just not the big industrial stuff, there's also a lot of building controls I don't know much about.. but restaurants, gas stations, etc.. usually having resi equipment anyway I'm sure I could hold my own. Lets just team up and head down there start our own service biz lol! Hell if it don't work out I noticed the panhandlers live pretty well there too haha. Sunrise at southernmost every day I had coffee with the local street sleepers, gave them a cigarette or two.. listened to their crazy stories about how they ended up homeless and why they walked all the way to the keys. Heck, one dude was showing off all the cool shit he bought with his stimulus check last December.. he had a new bike, a trailer to pull with bike, a new tent and some other crap.. living the dream!
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

Post Likes
    I talked about the issue there's such a need for commercial techs its crazy