Thread: Hard start kit for 2-stage scroll compressor

Post Likes

Hard start kit for 2-stage scroll compressor

I have the following:
    Bryant Preferred Series, 18 Seer, Model 167A
    Prod# 167ANA048000DAAA
    Model# 167ANA048-A

According to paperwork it has a 2 stage scroll compressor.

I was all ready to purchase a 5-2-1 Hard start kit CSRU3 or a Kickstart KS1 (leaning toward CSRU3) when I ran across this Kickstart Training Manual - I can't post the link b/c I'm new. Basically it said Kickstart can be put on almost all compressors except two-stage compressors (soft start, variable speed etc.).

Is the CSRU3 also not used on two stage compressors? Google isn't helping me much..... If I can't use a 5-2-1 kit, what can be used to assist start up?

I mostly wanted to help it start easier and extend it's life.

Thanks!!

edit: I emailed cpsproducts, the manu. for 5-2-1 CSRU3 but I've read they are hit or miss for getting back to people with questions.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Site rules prohibit giving advice for DIY, which includes part numbers or technical information. You should have your contractor make the choice and be responsible for it.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I wished these things were called what they should be called "START ASSIST" 5-2-1 calls theirs "Compressor Saver" have they ever proved that this product will extend the life of a compressor? back in the day when we had lots or recips with TEV's I could understand the use of a "start assist" but now with all the high torque scrolls do we really need them? How many mfg's today still use a "start assist" in their new conventional home equipment?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Honestly if you think you need a hard start on that unit it's time for professional service.
    Because it's either got a bad capacitor or it's not set up properly.
    And adding a hard start is only going to compound the problems later. This isn't a 1980s unit with a reciprocating compressor and a hard shut off txv.

5. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Only time I might consider one is if a hard shutoff TXV is in play.

7. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sorry, this is not a DIY site. Please call a contractor. If you are a "New" Technician, please apply for professional membership then we can assist you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in