Thread: Pipe Threader

Post Likes

Pipe Threader

Hey guys,
    My business is getting a little bit bigger and Im thinking about advertising for this coming bbq season for some gas lines. Does anyone have experience in purchasing an entry level pipe threading machine? Or a hand threader? Ive never hand threaded pipe Im sure it's not easy (excuse the ignorance)

Post Likes
    Half and 3/4" aren't that bad by hand. Squirt threading oil with one hand and thread with the other.

One time I did three or four joints of 2" by hand, meaning no electricity, told my boss never again. This is what we used, and it was bullet proof. At least it was the way they made stuff 40 years ago.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/700-power-drive

This will take dies up to 2", and with the adapter chuck and another adjustable gizmo, 2.5 to 4". You'll need the three legged pipe vice and a bucket to catch the oil with a hand pump. I'll see if I can find a photo of that.

Quote Originally Posted by chill1986 View Post
    Hey guys,
    My business is getting a little bit bigger and Im thinking about advertising for this coming bbq season for some gas lines. Does anyone have experience in purchasing an entry level pipe threading machine? Or a hand threader? Ive never hand threaded pipe Im sure it's not easy (excuse the ignorance)
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Here's the oil bucket you will need. Looks plastic. The one I grew up with was aluminum.

https://www.toolup.com/ridgid-10883-...ad-Cutting-Oil

Probably cheaper ones out there, not worth trying to make one yourself, probably the cheapest part of the whole setup.

Post Likes
    Regarding what brand of threader to buy will depend on which dies and die teeth are on the shelf and available ASAP. Pretty sure that's why first employer went with RIGID. Name brand and stuff easily available. Don't want to be ordering the cutting teeth once you're into a job.

Post Likes
    Threading pipe is a drag and very time consuming, if your going to buy anything buy a Ridgid press tool and some press rings and do MegaPress all the way. I havent used my threader in years and hope to never use it again. Buy a Ridgid RP340 off Ebay and a set of jaws and your good to go. Fittings cost more but you make up for it in time saved.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/megapress-jaws-and-rings

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Press tool and or Trac Pipe!

8. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Or soft copper if it's allowed in your area. It is where I live. Type L or K. It can be directly buried and you can either use flare fittings or brazed (underground should be brazed). Or, even though I generally don't like the stuff there's CSST (or what everyone around here calls "gas tite"). Now that it's black it's actually not too bad. The old yellow stuff stuck out like a sore thumb and usually looked like crap no matter how hard you tried for it not to. CSST can not be buried though. If you need to bury pipe it should be copper (if allowed) or yellow plastic pipe and fittings that are specially made for that purpose.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.