Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much education do I need for HVAC?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rp3703 View Post
    The builder/GC gets the bad review either way. If I hire an HVAC sub that does a bad job, the homeowner will blame me every time
    Yes, that’s true, the same with the A/C system, as an example if the fan motor goes bad or a capacitor goes bad the brand of HVAC manufacturers gets blamed, even thou those parts ( which are supplied by vendors ) have nothing to do with the HVAC manufacturers, even the Copeland compressor ( if it bails ) escapes scrutiny, the brand of A/C gets dinged and the compressor could have easily failed due to a bad install initially by the Contractors or errr the GC....

Post Likes
    Epa card required to purchase refrigerant or hook up gauges to a unit.
    Need to be able to provide load calculations per code.
    Need a code book and be familiar with installation requirements.
    Need someone capable to handle warranty services thu compressor replacements.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Epa card required to purchase refrigerant or hook up gauges to a unit.
    Need to be able to provide load calculations per code.
    Need a code book and be familiar with installation requirements.
    Need someone capable to handle warranty services thu compressor replacements.
    Thanks.

Post Likes
    And duct design, construction, & installation.

Post Likes
    All of the States, including DC have some form of licensing requirements before folks are legally allowed to hang out their shingle and call themselves HVAC contractors.

Unfortunately, the reason for this is simple. Shoddy, and sometimes downright dangerous installations were becoming far too prevalent. People are pissed, and the States were forced to attempt to put a stop to it.

And, it doesn't necessarily stop at the State level. Quite often, Local Authorities have a further hand in the regulating, and the fines and punishments for failure to follow the rules and guidelines of the State and Local Authorities can be very substantial. Depending on the jurisdiction.

Before you can legally enter into the HVAC business in our State, you, or someone working for you (they are ultimately responsible if the rules are broken) must first demonstrate practical experience under a licensed Technician, and then pass a State exam, for either an "A" Commercial, or a "B" Residential License. Everyone working for you, (working under that license), then must be registered with the State as either a "Registered", or "Certified" HVAC Technician.

They enforce the rules here, and they regularly pass out heavy fines and punishments to those who decide to attempt to skirt the rules. This is serious business.

Understand, I'm talking about State and Local Licensing, not the EPA 608 Refrigerant Handlers Certificate, which you will also need.

Your original question. How much education do you need? You need a lot of education to do the job correctly.

Normally, the easiest way to enter into the HVAC Contracting business as a GC, is to hire someone who already has the licenses, and who can help you hire the educated folks who have the ability to actually do the work properly, and legally.

The days of the fly by nighters, the half assers, and the people who think they can turn a quick buck in the HVAC business are coming to an end.

By the way, installers like you have described are obviously not the cream of the crop......are they? Sometimes you get lucky, but most often you get what you pay for. I don't associate with people like that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    All of the States, including DC have some form of licensing requirements before folks are legally allowed to hang out their shingle and call themselves HVAC contractors.

Unfortunately, the reason for this is simple. Shoddy, and sometimes downright dangerous installations were becoming far too prevalent. People are pissed, and the States were forced to attempt to put a stop to it.

And, it doesn't necessarily stop at the State level. Quite often, Local Authorities have a further hand in the regulating, and the fines and punishments for failure to follow the rules and guidelines of the State and Local Authorities can be very substantial. Depending on the jurisdiction.

Before you can legally enter into the HVAC business in our State, you, or someone working for you (they are ultimately responsible if the rules are broken) must first demonstrate practical experience under a licensed Technician, and then pass a State exam, for either an "A" Commercial, or a "B" Residential License. Everyone working for you, (working under that license), then must be registered with the State as either a "Registered", or "Certified" HVAC Technician.

They enforce the rules here, and they regularly pass out heavy fines and punishments to those who decide to attempt to skirt the rules. This is serious business.

Understand, I'm talking about State and Local Licensing, not the EPA 608 Refrigerant Handlers Certificate, which you will also need.

Your original question. How much education do you need? You need a lot of education to do the job correctly.

Normally, the easiest way to enter into the HVAC Contracting business as a GC, is to hire someone who already has the licenses, and who can help you hire the educated folks who have the ability to actually do the work properly, and legally.

The days of the fly by nighters, the half assers, and the people who think they can make a quick buck in the HVAC business are coming to an end.

By the way, installers like you have described are obviously not the cream of the crop......are they? Sometimes you get lucky, but most often you get what you pay for. I don't associate with people like that.
    A GC is allowed to install an HVAC system here in California as long as they are doing other things. For a remodel/addition they can do it legally.

Post Likes
    I say you sound like a guy who is going to do this/try this HVAC stuff cause you watched "them guys" put it in and you can do it too. Its a good thing that you're a GC who can rip out that sheetrock to correct a mistake, if one /several are made. Try it! You might be adapt at this HVAC stuff. W/ over 50 years in trade I have met and advised maybe 5 people that did what you want to do. They were lucky because I guided them in doing what they were doing as they proceeded., My last HomeOwner HVAC wannabe made and flew his own airplane, and raced and repaired his own MG(that English Car). He was one smart SOB.

8. Likes neosec liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12