Thread: How do you think manufacturers are going to handle the lack of techs coming in

Post Likes

How do you think manufacturers are going to handle the lack of techs coming in

Will they start using more technology to compensate like they have been, or will they start to make systems simpler?

Post Likes
    I think manufacturers will first and foremost look at profitability... and come up with reasons why techs need to do things the way 'they' say to...

Ever read an annual report of a co like Trane or Carrier???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

3. Likes CHAINIK liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have not, sounds like something I would get something out of. I am always looking for data about our industry.

BTW, I have been lurking here a long time and you are everywhere.

I live in west cobb but drive over and work in Tucker every day where I have bought into a partnership.

What part of town are you in?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lankford View Post
    I have not, sounds like something I would get something out of. I am always looking for data about our industry.

BTW, I have been lurking here a long time and you are everywhere.

I live in west cobb but drive over and work in Tucker every day where I have bought into a partnership.

What part of town are you in?
    Sorry you get to 'endure' the construction traffic on the top end...
    IMO the job is going fairly well.
    It is amazing to me the scope of what will be done by the time that job (and all the extra stuff being discussed) is done!!!

I am on the NE side, outside the perimeter... from time to time, I do work for folks in Cobb Cty... special jobs...
    And I did one in Jasper in February... for the son of a long term friend.

My business is kinda a specialty problem solving arrangement... always love a challenge!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    As an option go back to AeroQuip precharged screw in linesets, like the old days, excess lineset curl up as best you can by indoor section, as an example used on Mr. Cool Universal ducted, No Vac linesets A/C and Heat Pumps, and some other brands already use. No need to worry about getting charge correct, or leak testing, brazing , evacuating etc. etc. until they come up with a different type of cooling system. It’s not like the compression type refrigerant system will be going on forever.

Maybe another question is what type of system will be used in the future, hot/cold thermal plates, ??

Post Likes
    Yeah I saw your post about that.. then the construction stuff they did not pull the trigger on. I had a VERY bad taste of new construction back in the 80s and will never let a builder get into me that deep again.

I get up every day at 6 SSS and hit the road... most of the distributors are close to the Coke plant in 'Mayretta' so I swing by there sometimes to pickup equipment / parts / etc... but as long as I don't lollygag, I can make it in less than an hour...

Afternoons are the crappy part... will be glad when they get done.

So... if I get something we can't get to, I can throw it over the wall to you? Or are you saturated?

We are 90% Resi 10% Light commercial and mostly older clients within about 5-10 miles of Tucker.

Post Likes
    Yeah I saw your post about that.. then the construction stuff they did not pull the trigger on. I had a VERY bad taste of new construction back in the 80s and will never let a builder get into me that deep again.

I get up every day at 6 SSS and hit the road... most of the distributors are close to the Coke plant in 'Mayretta' so I swing by there sometimes to pickup equipment / parts / etc... but as long as I don't lollygag, I can make it in less than an hour...

Afternoons are the crappy part... will be glad when they get done.

So... if I get something we can't get to, I can throw it over the wall to you? Or are you saturated?

We are 90% Resi 10% Light commercial and mostly older clients within about 5-10 miles of Tucker.
    Yeah, sure...

And the opposite... will pass you along in your neck of the woods...

Look in my profile, send me an email...

BTW... suggestion...
    Go ahead and get your PRO status on this site... it is well worth it!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I'm looking forward to the Pro status. I have been coming here for years but have had my nose to the grindstone.

Will look you up.

Post Likes
    Will they start using more technology to compensate like they have been, or will they start to make systems simpler?
    About 12-15 years ago Trane was having their techs use a couple of things that led to one of my then coworkers to say that they were trying to make techs out of taxi drivers, lol. Thank goodness they dropped that stuff (handheld device, laminated repair list of repair codes).

I saw the other day in some industry publication where one of the OEMs (Daikin?) was rolling out a head mounted device that their techs would wear to transmit what they see and hear to factory tech support. It could have been a global publication, can't remember.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    I think manufacturers will do what manufacturers do, make stuff. they have never really cared about the guys in the field and write it into their warranty. if they start seeing higher warranty claims than they can absorb they will change the warranty on the next Ser# change and move on.

We have known for years that smarter, better techs do a better job of install and better service yet the amount of training from the Man. is little, most of it is through the distributor as it helps cut their warranty costs. Even at that most distributors now charge for the training that has the chance of saving them money through less warranty issues.

If you dig through most warranties anymore there is a clause where the equipment has to be serviced by a qualified tech. If the Man. does not train them what makes them qualified? No one that I know of has enforced this clause but if warranty claims go up you can bet it will start to be questioned if not enforced.

12. Likes 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quick question Nuclrchiller, who is RichardL?

14. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is there a shortage of new techs?

It seems to me that there are plenty of new techs coming into the field. The equipment has been getting more complicated and it is much harder to get training as it was in the past and that shortfall lies with the local HVAC contractors and not the manufacturers.

What are owners of businesses going to do if anything to rectify any of the real or perceived problems?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    I see now that this thread is covering both residential and commercial. My comment was strictly from a commercial viewpoint.

Post Likes
    RichardL was a longtime member here. He posted mostly in the chiller forums. Maybe exclusively there. He passed away a few years ago. He was highly respected here. He was somewhere in your neck of the woods. Georgia, that is. He had a terrific way with words, and I always looked forward to hearing from him. A site search would probably lead you to some of his posts, if you're interested. My sig line was his. I thought it would be a shame to see it go away. Plus, it sometimes leads to someone asking about him, and he was definitely worth mentioning now and then.

Post Likes
    The overall the HVAC/R field is suffering - OEM’s, Unions, everything. Even tho JCI is the Pipe Trades Union’s largest Service employer, after JCI spun-off its non-Building Technology businesses, they partnered with Lincoln Tech to develop new talent. The Apprenticeships just wereN’T attracting new blood.
    Daikin Applied is seemingly getting away from self-perform Service. There are many new SAP’s over the last 4 years.
    Carrier, after spinning itself off from UTC, says they want to rebuild their Service side.
    Trane, similarly to JCI and Carrier, also spun itself off from IR. I believe they are the largest OEM workforce and will only get bigger with Franchise acquisitions or new Offices.
    Good luck to all of them.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure the manufacturers would care. A shop owner should care and hire/train accordingly. A tech who attends training and learns the products will be worth more to himself and any company he works for. On the other side of that coin, in my neck of the woods, pneumatics are still very common. A young commercial guy in Chicago would only be doing himself a favor by learning them. My personal opinion is manufacturers should step up their game with tech support which, seems to becoming non existent. One of my customers said Honeywell told him to call us(I'm a wholesaler in Chicago) for tech support on their flame safeguards. Had a guy come in today looking for an ICP txv. The unit is 3 years old and ICP no longer supports it. They've obsoleted the part. I'll take the sale.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    RichardL was a longtime member here. He posted mostly in the chiller forums. Maybe exclusively there. He passed away a few years ago. He was highly respected here. He was somewhere in your neck of the woods. Georgia, that is. He had a terrific way with words, and I always looked forward to hearing from him. A site search would probably lead you to some of his posts, if you're interested. My sig line was his. I thought it would be a shame to see it go away. Plus, it sometimes leads to someone asking about him, and he was definitely worth mentioning now and then.
    Richard's contributions to the forum are sorely missed. A few guys in my neck of the woods worked with him personally back in the day and he was highly regarded by every one of them.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user.

21. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post

It’s not like the compression type refrigerant system will be going on forever.

I think the current mechanical compression principle is basically quite elegant. Are you thinking that some new scientific principle will come along and replace it? Like, perhaps, some quantum-radiative molecular cooling whereby lasers are used to expel heat from air?

Post Likes
    As long as there are sharks with frickin' lazer beams on their heads.

Post Likes
    LOL. I wonder why a lizard just popped into my mind?