+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    They get government jobs.
    But who is left to work the counter?

Post Likes
    For what it is worth, I think it was greed. Sure there are a lot of underlying factors that could fall into the categories of things like indoctrination, attacks, and any number of other liberal agendas. But at the heart of it, back in the 70's, higher education just wanted more money. Don't know the actual numbers, but it goes something like this: The rate of inflation doesn't even come close to the rate increase from higher education. Salaries have MASSIVELY increased. Hours worked are less. There have also been capital expenses; though I can't imagine how the structures have increased the ability to learn.

That's how the snowball started. It's been getting bigger and bigger as it rolls downhill.

The universities have 'tapped' into the government financing, which was nothing decades ago. Now they're pushing for forgiving student loans, talk about another windfall. The single biggest problem with where this has all lead is how much control the higher education has, and with their indoctrination, comes more control and change to the fundamentals of the founding of our country.

Actually, got off track with what I started to say. Can't remember if in that post of mine that you responded to I saw a poster in the late seventies. A man in a three piece suit with a secure smile beside a plumber who was filthy, holding a big pipe wrench, head not held high, and certainly not with a happy or pleasant expression on his face.

That poster at first 'confused' me. And the more I thought about it, began to disgust me. Who in hell wants to wear a three piece suit, that's got to be a pain in the ass!

About maybe 15 years later I heard the origin of that poster. I was glad to hear I chose wisely !!

Quote Originally Posted by tmst View Post
    I'm loving seeing this validation here of what I have privately considered to be the case. The baby boomer was indoctrinated that "blue collar is bad". It was probably some kind of covert attack on Western culture intended to undermine the middle class upon which all political freedom rests.

I spent many years in software. But I can safely say the wisdom I've found here is every bit as profound.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Illegal immigrates who cannot speak English. And you're a racist if you cannot understand them. You know, your white supremacy and all.

/s

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    But who is left to work the counter?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Illegal immigrates who cannot speak English. And you're a racist if you cannot understand them. You know, your white supremacy and all.

/s
    Que?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

5. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Que?

Post Likes
    Q: What's the difference between ignorant and stupid?
    A: I don't know and I don't care.

8. Likes hvacker liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    For what it is worth, I think it was greed. Sure there are a lot of underlying factors that could fall into the categories of things like indoctrination, attacks, and any number of other liberal agendas. But at the heart of it, back in the 70's, higher education just wanted more money. Don't know the actual numbers, but it goes something like this: The rate of inflation doesn't even come close to the rate increase from higher education. Salaries have MASSIVELY increased. Hours worked are less. There have also been capital expenses; though I can't imagine how the structures have increased the ability to learn.

That's how the snowball started. It's been getting bigger and bigger as it rolls downhill.

The universities have 'tapped' into the government financing, which was nothing decades ago. Now they're pushing for forgiving student loans, talk about another windfall. The single biggest problem with where this has all lead is how much control the higher education has, and with their indoctrination, comes more control and change to the fundamentals of the founding of our country.

Actually, got off track with what I started to say. Can't remember if in that post of mine that you responded to I saw a poster in the late seventies. A man in a three piece suit with a secure smile beside a plumber who was filthy, holding a big pipe wrench, head not held high, and certainly not with a happy or pleasant expression on his face.

That poster at first 'confused' me. And the more I thought about it, began to disgust me. Who in hell wants to wear a three piece suit, that's got to be a pain in the ass!

About maybe 15 years later I heard the origin of that poster. I was glad to hear I chose wisely !!
    I'm not sure how "greed" can be defined. I don't personally think it has any useful meaning. You need enough money to support yourself, your family, your favorite charities, political groups, etc. Why not fund a city that is designed from the ground up for efficiency? How about a colony on the Moon? "Enough" is just a lack of imagination.

Where we went off the rails was in transitioning from a productive to a consumer economy. I believe the transition occurred due to JFK getting assassinated and the demoralization of the baby boomer by the rock/drugs/sex counterculture which emanated from British intelligence. FDR deprived them of their empire and they, in turn, subverted our industrial capacity.

Post Likes
    Your last paragraph sounds like a segment from Monty Python's "Confuse A Cat."
    Really, the 60's "emanated from British intelligence." The Beatles were secret agents?
    "FDR deprived them of their empire and they, in turn, subverted our industrial capacity."
    Really? FDR was in office when we became a qualified Empire and we are still at it. Everything from our politics to
    our insistent control issues to Russians wearing blue jeans point our Empire status in the world.
    What subverted (your words) our industrial capacity was cheap labor that was effectively used to sell stuff to our
    wealthy population.
    Anyhoo G'Day
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Your last paragraph sounds like a segment from Monty Python's "Confuse A Cat."
    Really, the 60's "emanated from British intelligence." The Beatles were secret agents?
    "FDR deprived them of their empire and they, in turn, subverted our industrial capacity."
    Really? FDR was in office when we became a qualified Empire and we are still at it. Everything from our politics to
    our insistent control issues to Russians wearing blue jeans point our Empire status in the world.
    What subverted (your words) our industrial capacity was cheap labor that was effectively used to sell stuff to our
    wealthy population.
    Anyhoo G'Day
    I'm not familiar with that Monte Python. It sounds hilarious. But, yes, my statements were complete bloody nonsense. When you see the "%^&" at the end of this sentence you will forget you ever saw them. "%^&"

Post Likes
    I'm not familiar with that Monte Python. It sounds hilarious. But, yes, my statements were complete bloody nonsense. When you see the "%^&" at the end of this sentence you will forget you ever saw them. "%^&"
    I never was a good subject for hypnosis. So I will subject your sentence to my sea of unforgetfulness. . I'll never forget.......
    But you will "%()/&"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I never was a good subject for hypnosis. So I will subject your sentence to my sea of unforgetfulness. . I'll never forget.......
    But you will "%()/&"
    The power is strong with you! :-)

Post Likes
    The power is strong with you! :-)
    And I keep tripping over it....

Post Likes
    Q: What's the difference between ignorant and stupid?
    A: I don't know and I don't care.
    I just saw another one of these:
    Q: What's the difference between conscious and conscience?
    A: When you're aware of something and wish you weren't.

16. Likes 2sac, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    if they work on your field in their free time, they'll be a good worker on the clock

Post Likes
    This may sound weird but I look for humility. Too much arrogance in this trade as it is. If a kid has humility then he also will have a willingness to listen, learn and take direction. Aptitude will come with time.
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

19. Likes pageyjim, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettaknight View Post
    This may sound weird but I look for humility. Too much arrogance in this trade as it is. If a kid has humility then he also will have a willingness to listen, learn and take direction. Aptitude will come with time.
    Technically, aptitude doesn't come with experience. I'm still a mediocre software developer after 20 years and likely far less productive than were I originally directed to where my exceptional aptitude lay (mechanical reasoning). It was right there in the test scores which my parents and I lacked the wisdom to properly evaluate at the time. So much unnecessary pain...

Post Likes
    Technically, aptitude doesn't come with experience. I'm still a mediocre software developer after 20 years and likely far less productive than were I originally directed to where my exceptional aptitude lay (mechanical reasoning). It was right there in the test scores which my parents and I lacked the wisdom to properly evaluate at the time. So much unnecessary pain...
    In one post you don't care about the meaning of words and in another you are correcting a definition?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    In one post you don't care about the meaning of words and in another you are correcting a definition?
    No. What I'm doing is hopefully saving someone else some heartbreak. Please forgive me for using your statement to make a point. I know it comes from a good place.

Post Likes
    Point taken. I was more referring to skills needed to be a good tech. Some of the better techs I’ve met are not necessarily naturals but because of their desire to learn and apply themselves are stellar. Like a dog with a bone. They won’t give up easily.
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Post Likes
    Sheer aptitude is driving me at this point. Life, the pandemic, economic and health situations and even the crunchy attitudes of instructors are throwing out roadblocks but I'm doggedly pursuing my ACR studies regardless. The computer science program I completed never offered any real obstacles, partially due to the more civilized nature of the field, so it's certainly an adventure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in