Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138

Thread: What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    9,013
    Post Likes
    Sometimes people with "high intellect" are completely useless at doing practically anything.

    Even they know "how" something is done, and can critique someone else's performance, they've never attempted to do the task themselves because they can't bare to make a fool of themselves (even if they were alone) in the effort to learn the actual skill.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Sometimes people with "high intellect" are completely useless at doing practically anything.

    Even they know "how" something is done, and can critique someone else's performance, they've never attempted to do the task themselves because they can't bare to make a fool of themselves (even if they were alone) in the effort to learn the actual skill.

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    So you are saying that some intelligent people are not mechanically inclined which I agree with but the person I quoted said they can be stupid.

    "because they can't bare to make a fool of themselves..." Really that is why?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    9,013
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    So you are saying that some intelligent people are not mechanically inclined which I agree with but the person I quoted said they can be stupid.

    "because they can't bare to make a fool of themselves..." Really that is why?
    I just made a general comment about "some" intellectual people.

    That's certainly one reason some people choose not to try things.

    "He who does nothing makes no mistakes."

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I just made a general comment about "some" intellectual people.

    That's certainly one reason some people choose not to try things.

    "He who does nothing makes no mistakes."

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Whatever you say but it is a strange comment imo. Also the post had basically nothing to do with what I said.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Treasure coast, FL
    Posts
    9,013
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Whatever you say but it is a strange comment imo. Also the post had basically nothing to do with what I said.
    I didn't originally quote your post, nor anyone else's.

    Just adding to the conversation of "high IQ individuals as potential employees"

    You can read into it however you like

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I didn't originally quote your post, nor anyone else's.

    Just adding to the conversation of "high IQ individuals as potential employees"

    You can read into it however you like

    Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    You are right, my apologies.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  7. #87
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    That sentence doesn't work.

    Replace stupid with ignorant and it does.

    There is a huge difference between stupid and ignorant.


    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    So don't hire any stupid intellectuals?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    That sentence doesn't work.

    Replace stupid with ignorant and it does.

    There is a huge difference between stupid and ignorant.

    Tell that to hvacker it was his premise not mine.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    That sentence doesn't work.

    Replace stupid with ignorant and it does.

    There is a huge difference between stupid and ignorant.
    As I said you should address that to hvacker but to address your post I am a bit confused, or maybe you are. Ignorance means a lack of knowledge. So you are saying that intellectuals lack knowledge?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,548
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Not exactly positive what you are saying but it seems this is just another typical anti itellectualism or a pro common sense narrative. It is true some jobs do not have much of a need for objective reasoning and intellect. Some jobs like being a cop you actually have a better chance at being one if you lack intellect. It seems many are actually proud of their lack of intellect.

    Cop IQ How smart should cops have to be, what kind of smart, and how do we measure and promote it?

    https://www.police1.com/police-jobs-...tQlqvXInHppdW/

    Applicants are turned down because they are too smart. Some police forces seem to prefer just average intelligence. I think some people believe the same for our field whether they realize it or not.
    I'm looking at something different from the general idea of stupid. Anyone can be stupid regardless of their intellect. They simply do stupid things. Over and over.
    This was brought home in an essay I read from 1975. I had posted this on ARP but almost predictably no one responded. The author showed the difference from our usual ideas of stupid with a better understanding for me anyway.

    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

    It's understood if you have one psychopath with 100 followers, you have 101 psychopaths. Now if you have one stupid person with 1 million followers, guess what..
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  11. #91
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    No. I'm saying that using the word stupid, that's something you are born with and can not be corrected.

    Ignorance is common, and can be cured with education.


    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    As I said you should address that to hvacker but to address your post I am a bit confused, or maybe you are. Ignorance means a lack of knowledge. So you are saying that intellectuals lack knowledge?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  12. Likes hvacker liked this post.
  13. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,548
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    That sentence doesn't work.

    Replace stupid with ignorant and it does.

    There is a huge difference between stupid and ignorant.
    Ya, big difference. Who is the comedian that says "You can't fix stupid"?
    Ignorance can be fixed. Pagey's post "So don't hire any stupid intellectuals?" actually does work from my perspective. There are stupid intellectuals.
    Like the phrase "Educated idiots" Some that say this are simply insecure of people with educations but for those
    of us that aren't insecure know well the disasters some stupid educated and non-educated people create non-stop.
    One that's common is when something stupid is done and the offender says "Well I'm the one with the degree".
    The poem "The Charge Of The Light Brigade." tells of the effect of a stupid person in charge for their followers.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  14. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Pagey's post "So don't hire any stupid intellectuals?" actually does work from my perspective.
    Don't try to give me credit for that. I was simply rephrasing your position.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  15. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,548
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    As I said you should address that to hvacker but to address your post I am a bit confused, or maybe you are. Ignorance means a lack of knowledge. So you are saying that intellectuals lack knowledge?
    Knowledge w/o wisdom = stupid. I see our brain function in many ways but one that's often not addressed
    is the separation between the intellect and the emotions. They seem at constant war for superiority.
    One curious aspect of this is when a person is responding emotionally and believes that are actually thinking.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  16. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,548
    Post Likes
    Double post stupid.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  17. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Knowledge w/o wisdom = stupid. I see our brain function in many ways but one that's often not addressed
    is the separation between the intellect and the emotions. They seem at constant war for superiority.
    One curious aspect of this is when a person is responding emotionally and believes that are actually thinking.
    You found an essay that tries to redefine stupidity and attempt to do so yourself.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  18. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I'm looking at something different from the general idea of stupid.

    Yes you are.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  19. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,548
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You found an essay that tries to redefine stupidity and attempt to do so yourself.
    I came across the essay by coincidence. I have been pondering the relationship between people that have an
    intellectual response to things to those that respond to the same thing but in an emotional way for awhile.
    I made some attempts in ARP to engage but the idea didn't go far. I attempted to show the difference between
    an emotional response and an intellectual one in day to day events.

    Think of people stuck in a mindset that responds emotionally to events and causes others to just shake their head.
    Now I'm connecting emotional responds with the stupid particle. A bit like particle physics where there are these
    different possible ways to respond. I'm looking at the emotional reaction and connection to people behaving stupidly.
    As if the emotions have no thought process. Not thought but process.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  20. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    158
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Actually, it wasn't we as a society, it was the colleges and universities from all around our country. It was an advertising campaign that they all paid into, it began back in the early 70's. They paid into it for about thirty years. And I'd have to say it was a rather successful campaign.
    I'm loving seeing this validation here of what I have privately considered to be the case. The baby boomer was indoctrinated that "blue collar is bad". It was probably some kind of covert attack on Western culture intended to undermine the middle class upon which all political freedom rests.

    I spent many years in software. But I can safely say the wisdom I've found here is every bit as profound.

  21. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    13,109
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    So don't hire any stupid intellectuals?
    They get government jobs.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

  22. Likes R600a liked this post.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •