Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 138

Thread: What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Float'N Vally, MS
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I bet there are plenty of old farts around that say plenty of similar things.

    I remember the Pharoah's chief engineer telling all the young whippersnappers to pull up their pants and drop that stone tablet. The more things change the more they stay the same, right?
    I don’t particularly share your point of view. I have a younger guy working who had all of the “young habits “. One by one he dropped them all. It seems it was his “upbringing “ and was never taught how to act around business people.
    He really turned out great in time and went on to better things. We did mentor/push him.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

  2. #62
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    Before I chose this trade I was doing general labor on construction sites. Once I chose this trade, then I had to choose a trade school, figured I should choose the best so I began researching it. Keep in mind this was before God invented the InterWeb, so all research was old school. Found the best trade school to be UTI in Phoenix, AZ. They really had it dialed in, how to teach and make you into the best prospective tech possible. I graduated 1982 I think it was. Sadly NASCAR bought the school and dropped the HVACR side of things. Guess they knew a good thing when they saw it.

    Soon after graduating, up until this very day, I have been amazed at how little graduates from a trade school know. It's really just sad.


    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    I'm one of those old guys who who came back to teach his Trade. I have over 40 years in the Trade, have my Degree, and a dozen related Certifications. I'm still going to school.

    I am also someone who has taken the opportunity to explore the technical teaching world. I spent a year working for one of the largest For Profit Trade Schools. I spent a year Teaching at one of the local Jr. Colleges, and I have been teaching classes for the UA Apprenticeship program for the past 12 years.

    I can give you the straight up low down on each of these institutions. How they operate, the costs, the politics, the quality of the education, promises made, promises kept, the works.

    Personally, I am not a fan of the personal attack, but you Sir, are not well informed.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I don’t particularly share your point of view. I have a younger guy working who had all of the “young habits “. One by one he dropped them all. It seems it was his “upbringing “ and was never taught how to act around business people.
    He really turned out great in time and went on to better things. We did mentor/push him.

    Unlike yours my "point of view" is backed by thousands of years of history. I posted an article earlier showing just what I said and showing that old farts have been saying the same thing about younger generations for thousands of years.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    559
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Before I chose this trade I was doing general labor on construction sites. Once I chose this trade, then I had to choose a trade school, figured I should choose the best so I began researching it. Keep in mind this was before God invented the InterWeb, so all research was old school. Found the best trade school to be UTI in Phoenix, AZ. They really had it dialed in, how to teach and make you into the best prospective tech possible. I graduated 1982 I think it was. Sadly NASCAR bought the school and dropped the HVACR side of things. Guess they knew a good thing when they saw it.

    Soon after graduating, up until this very day, I have been amazed at how little graduates from a trade school know. It's really just sad.
    When did UTI shutter? People from El Paso would go there too. It’s been closed since I’ve been here.

    From Las Vegas to El Paso regarding Job Corps, I believe only Las Vegas and El Paso have HVAC Classes in the Desert SW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    I don't know.


    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    When did UTI shutter? People from El Paso would go there too. It’s been closed since I’ve been here.

    From Las Vegas to El Paso regarding Job Corps, I believe only Las Vegas and El Paso have HVAC Classes in the Desert SW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    559
    Post Likes
    I know this is going to have some people feeling a type of offended way. I have yet to see how a HVACR Service (Apprenticeship) Competition is a gauge for real-life. A hands-on test - yes, but a “competitive contest” between 2 or more HVACR Service Workers?
    In the Building Trades (47-Series), actual Construction Trades, a competition is reflective of real-life, as two or more workers will indeed need to provide build work for functionality, aesthetics, and will be inspected.
    HVACR Service Work is 49-Series which is NOT Construction Trades. I believe HVACR Service is more importantly - can the individual fix the equipment and depending on the setting (Residential, Light Commercial, or Applied/Industrial) can the individual get along with people (contacts)?
    I have had this outlook since ‘00/2000, nothing against Unions specifically, I see very little value in these competitions.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    371
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    I know this is going to have some people feeling a type of offended way. I have yet to see how a HVACR Service (Apprenticeship) Competition is a gauge for real-life. A hands-on test - yes, but a “competitive contest” between 2 or more HVACR Service Workers?
    In the Building Trades (47-Series), actual Construction Trades, a competition is reflective of real-life, as two or more workers will indeed need to provide build work for functionality, aesthetics, and will be inspected.
    HVACR Service Work is 49-Series which is NOT Construction Trades. I believe HVACR Service is more importantly - can the individual fix the equipment and depending on the setting (Residential, Light Commercial, or Applied/Industrial) can the individual get along with people (contacts)?
    I have had this outlook since ‘00/2000, nothing against Unions specifically, I see very little value in these competitions.

    Once again, your statements tend to reveal how isolated you apparently are.

    You're not offending anyone.

    Obviously you haven't figured out that the ACCA (Air Conditioning Contractors of America) hosts a pretty large competition each year too.

    They seem to attach quite a bit of value and importance to these competitions.

    Perhaps you know something they don't?

    Maybe you should call em up and tell them how worthless these competitions are.

    I think that maybe until you have participated in one of these gatherings........
    Oh, never mind. Some people just got it all figured out.

  8. Likes valdelocc liked this post.
  9. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    559
    Post Likes
    Tech Skills and Mechanical Inclination
    Aptitude and Problem-Solving
    Communication Skills (Excellent in Residential, because you deal with Homeowners), (Good in Light Commercial because you’d likely deal with a store manager - tops), (Fair in Applied/Industrial because you may only deal with a Building/HVAC Engineer)

    Sorry, once again I am leaving Refrig out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #69
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    371
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    Tech Skills and Mechanical Inclination
    Aptitude and Problem-Solving
    Communication Skills (Excellent in Residential, because you deal with Homeowners), (Good in Light Commercial because you’d likely deal with a store manager - tops), (Fair in Applied/Industrial because you may only deal with a Building/HVAC Engineer)

    Sorry, once again I am leaving Refrig out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    You need to participate in one of these competitions.

    Then come back, and let's talk.

    I'm done.

  11. Likes valdelocc liked this post.
  12. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    559
    Post Likes

    What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    Tech Skills and Mechanical Inclination
    Aptitude and Problem-Solving
    Communication Skills (Excellent in Residential, because you deal with Homeowners), (Good in Light Commercial because you’d likely deal with a store manager - tops), (Fair in Applied/Industrial because you may only deal with a Building/HVAC Engineer)

    Sorry, once again I am leaving Refrig out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My fault, OP - this was to you.

    Tech Skills and Mechanical Inclination
    Aptitude and Problem-Solving
    Communication Skills (Excellent in Residential, because you deal with Homeowners), (Good in Light Commercial because you’d likely deal with a store manager - tops), (Fair in Applied/Industrial because you may only deal with a Building/HVAC Engineer)

    Sorry, once again I am leaving Refrig out.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    3,819
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    You need to participate in one of these competitions.

    Then come back, and let's talk.

    I'm done.
    Dont waste your time with him, he has a history of coming here using few different aliases and posting the same random ,incoherent mumbo-jumbo, the more you engage him the more bizarre he gets........ mental issues maybe?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

  14. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,548
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lankford View Post
    My number one is honest.

    Number two is hard working.

    Then low voltage abilities.

    I am pretty good at taking those 3 and turning them into a pretty good tech over a busy summer.

    What are you looking for.
    The one you want is the one that isn't stupid. And intellect has nothing to do with not being stupid.
    A stupid employee can cost you the farm.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  15. Likes R600a liked this post.
  16. #73
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    LOL, I got one for you.

    Where I am now, about a year or so before I hired on, they had this one kid. I'm guessing with little or no experience. The idea was that he would be a helper and/or supervised when on a job site.

    Owner told him to go clean off the roof that he had been on for the last week (or whatever). He cleaned it. He cleaned it good. Including the un-installed economizers still in the boxes or crates. Not a scrap of anything to be seen on that roof.

    They way I heard the story, he had tears in his eyes when he got fired, but the owner was so pissed, he didn't give a crap. Keep in mind, the company was in its infancy, so that was a pretty big reach into the owners pocket.


    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The one you want is the one that isn't stupid. And intellect has nothing to do with not being stupid.
    A stupid employee can cost you the farm.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  17. #74
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The one you want is the one that isn't stupid. And intellect has nothing to do with not being stupid.
    A stupid employee can cost you the farm.

    Not exactly positive what you are saying but it seems this is just another typical anti itellectualism or a pro common sense narrative. It is true some jobs do not have much of a need for objective reasoning and intellect. Some jobs like being a cop you actually have a better chance at being one if you lack intellect. It seems many are actually proud of their lack of intellect.

    Cop IQ How smart should cops have to be, what kind of smart, and how do we measure and promote it?

    https://www.police1.com/police-jobs-...tQlqvXInHppdW/

    Applicants are turned down because they are too smart. Some police forces seem to prefer just average intelligence. I think some people believe the same for our field whether they realize it or not.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  18. #75
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    I had it explained to me years and years ago. The reason they don't want persons with a high IQ is because after all of the training and expense that takes, persons with a higher IQ wouldn't stick around. One reason is/was because of the intense boredom that comes with the job.


    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Not exactly positive what you are saying but it seems this is just another typical anti itellectualism or a pro common sense narrative. It is true some jobs do not have much of a need for objective reasoning and intellect. Some jobs like being a cop you actually have a better chance at being one if you lack intellect. It seems many are actually proud of their lack of intellect.

    Cop IQ How smart should cops have to be, what kind of smart, and how do we measure and promote it?

    https://www.police1.com/police-jobs-...tQlqvXInHppdW/

    Applicants are turned down because they are too smart. Some police forces seem to prefer just average intelligence. I think some people believe the same for our field whether they realize it or not.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  19. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I had it explained to me years and years ago. The reason they don't want persons with a high IQ is because after all of the training and expense that takes, persons with a higher IQ wouldn't stick around. One reason is/was because of the intense boredom that comes with the job.

    Yes, thank you and the article and most like it say that. I know that is their reasoning but have not seem evidence to back that reasonong. And that was only part of the meaning behind my post.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  20. #77
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    I didn't click on your link, just reiterated what I was told long ago. Maybe the reason you have not seen any evidence to back it up is because they learned not to hire those with high IQ's.


    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Yes, thank you and the article and most like it say that. I know that is their reasoning but have not seem evidence to back that reasonong. And that was only part of the meaning behind my post.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  21. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I didn't click on your link, just reiterated what I was told long ago. Maybe the reason you have not seen any evidence to back it up is because they learned not to hire those with high IQ's.
    If they learned then there would be evidence. But again that is only a small portion of the post.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  22. #79
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    30,544
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    If they learned then there would be evidence. But again that is only a small portion of the post.
    Maybe the reason you have not seen any evidence is because they learned long long ago.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

  23. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    6,070
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The one you want is the one that isn't stupid. And intellect has nothing to do with not being stupid.
    A stupid employee can cost you the farm.

    So don't hire any stupid intellectuals?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •