Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

Post Likes
    Once again, your Local is the best in the world. Your Local dumps Service losers into the Construction side? If they’re “losers” - why keep them at all?
    It’s typical for a Pipe Trades Union guy to belittle the Residential and Light Commercial sides, even tho those lines account for what - 95% of HVAC Techs in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lankford View Post
    Out of WW2, our Gov in all it's wisdom decided they needed office workers... put out a bunch of propaganda with posters showing greasy guys in working mans clothes beat down next to guys wearing suits and girls hanging off of them talking about how you should go to college...

Now we have massive amounts of people counting the productivity of the few.

Mike Rowe talks about this quite a bit, how they shamed the working man.

Germany took a different direction. Out of HS, you went into an apprenticeship / tech school or college and both were respected.
    Germany has a much higher percentage of college graduates than the US does. College is free in Germany also.

You are correct by default in implying that Germany got it right.
    Last edited by pageyjim; 04-05-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    Once again, your Local is the best in the world. Your Local dumps Service losers into the Construction side? If they’re “losers” - why keep them at all?
    It’s typical for a Pipe Trades Union guy to belittle the Residential and Light Commercial sides, even tho those lines account for what - 95% of HVAC Techs in the US.

Is not about being the best in the world or not, you as a union officer have the power to change your local yet you rather come here a complain instead of taking action. Commercial HVAC service is far more complicated than plumbing or pipefitting, often time guys struggling with service do well screwing,grooving and gluing pipe, you know the old saying " the poop runs down hill, dont bite your nails and payday is Friday....
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    1st off, you got me messed up. Former TC, the TD and TC are NOT Officers here, they are hired positions.
    Why is there 3 to 2 ex-Union (or Union working non-union) to Union in AZ? 3 to 1 in NM? 6 (maybe 7) to 1 in El Paso? NO less 60 ex-members to 10 members! Maybe to you that’s acceptable.
    If you feel strongly against what I speak, I’ll be in Atlanta and Indianapolis several times this year.

Post Likes
    1st off, you got me messed up. Former TC, the TD and TC are NOT Officers here, they are hired positions.
    Why is there 3 to 2 ex-Union (or Union working non-union) to Union in AZ? 3 to 1 in NM? 6 (maybe 7) to 1 in El Paso? NO less 60 ex-members to 10 members! Maybe to you that’s acceptable.
    If you feel strongly against what I speak, I’ll be in Atlanta and Indianapolis several times this year.

Here you go again asking questions about YOUR jurisdiction, I have never been to AZ. Take the ball and roll with it, call McManus and let him know about your local issues, he can shake the tree and I know he wants to grow service within the UA, go straight to him pissing and moaning here doesn't help at all. What do you mean by "I’ll be in Atlanta and Indianapolis several times this year" I couldn't care less about your traveling affairs.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Yeah, I doN’T have to do any of that, Union-is-better-just-because guy.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I doN’T have to do any of that, Union-is-better-just-because guy.

Then is on you, whinny-undecided-???! Union is better because nobody around here comes even closer to the union package in therms of training, pension, annuity, heath care and pay, I can see why your local is not doing well...members like you tell the whole story, a local is as good as its members!

Post Likes

What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

And “members” like you - only tell half the story.

Post Likes
    And “members” like you - only tell half the story.

Help me out. I'm curious?

What's the other half of the story you're referring to?

Sounds like it might be important.

Post Likes
    Yeah, that’s enough of that. Getting back on track, what’s with the letting almost anybody in? Is it just the money? In the Unions, membership dues and if the member is working - working dues. Community Colleges, several thousands of dollars. Trades Schools, as much as $30K. Is it all about money? The only place where it doesN’T cost money is in a vocational high school setting or Job Corps.
    I went to Trade School on split grants, when I was finished - I didN’T know much about HVAC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Is not about being the best in the world or not, you as a union officer have the power to change your local yet you rather come here a complain instead of taking action. Commercial HVAC service is far more complicated than plumbing or pipefitting, often time guys struggling with service do well screwing,grooving and gluing pipe, you know the old saying " the poop runs down hill, dont bite your nails and payday is Friday....
    Gluing pipes...loolll

If you guys are crying alot for service techs then do what everyone else does when they need help...go lobby to Congress. Btw 2sac..not all millenials are garbage. Just sorry some aren't available and are doing higher paying jobs. I really don't know whats the industry problem.

But I bet its because of compensation. I'll cut a little story about me which some of you know my story. I work in the medical lab field and I love hvac. But the lab field pays much more and in the past when I had interviews with hvac companies and they loved me..but they would offer low ballin hourly rates. I just said no and moved on. When I meet Dad here in person and gave my details he even told me I was way ahead financially then most people who start off in hvac.( and not to break my back for hvac, just maybe on the weekends) At that moment I was very lime green( about to turn into another color) ..yes not all green cause I had a hvac school diploma and hvac-talk schooling.

So lobby to congress, pay more and also I think more training is needed in general. Maybe require every licensed hvac company to have their techs do 36 CE courses every year. But its true this is a dieing industry for techs. I wont be surprised in the future that techs will be outsourced. Like how school teachers are being out sourced in public schools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    Gluing pipes...loolll

If you guys are crying alot for service techs then do what everyone else does when they need help...go lobby to Congress. Btw 2sac..not all millenials are garbage. Just sorry some aren't available and are doing higher paying jobs. I really don't know whats the industry problem.

But I bet its because of compensation. I'll cut a little story about me which some of you know my story. I work in the medical lab field and I love hvac. But the lab field pays much more and in the past when I had interviews with hvac companies and they loved me..but they would offer low ballin hourly rates. I just said no and moved on. When I meet Dad here in person and gave my details he even told me I was way ahead financially then most people who start off in hvac.( and not to break my back for hvac, just maybe on the weekends) At that moment I was very lime green( about to turn into another color) ..yes not all green cause I had a hvac school diploma and hvac-talk schooling.

So lobby to congress, pay more and also I think more training is needed in general. Maybe require every licensed hvac company to have their techs do 36 CE courses every year. But its true this is a dieing industry for techs. I wont be surprised in the future that techs will be outsourced. Like how school teachers are being out sourced in public schools.
    Never said millennials were garbage, I have a few of my own. Sorry you didn't get the humor in the video.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Never said millennials were garbage, I have a few of my own. Sorry you didn't get the humor in the video.
    I will admit I didnt watch it this time ( but have in the past)..loll but I understood it wasn't saying good things (or making fun of) about millennials. Lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lankford View Post
    My latest hire was out of Tech school, one of the better ones in the area... pretty bright kid and really loves it... but he had almost no idea about the refrigeration cycle when he first started.

It's almost like they flip through the books and have them memorize a couple things here and there, but they have no idea about design temps etc.

Fortunately, I am pretty good at bringing them up to speed on that, but can't tell you how much it hurts to watch the fresh ones start to reach into a live cabinet with both hands like they are going for a fresh bag of M&Ms.
    I did a presentation at our local trade school recently on wireless gauges and such. This was the second year of a 2 year class and almost the end of the year and they had not got around to even mentioning superheat or subcooling yet so the kids had no clue what I was talking about.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Judging by our 3 most recent new hires, I'm thinking one of the questions would be to bring your hand tools to the interview. The tools I have seen recently are sparse and brand new. Just that right there tells a lot.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Yeah, that’s enough of that. Getting back on track, what’s with the letting almost anybody in? Is it just the money? In the Unions, membership dues and if the member is working - working dues. Community Colleges, several thousands of dollars. Trades Schools, as much as $30K. Is it all about money? The only place where it doesN’T cost money is in a vocational high school setting or Job Corps.
    I went to Trade School on split grants, when I was finished - I didN’T know much about HVAC.

I'm one of those old guys who who came back to teach his Trade. I have over 40 years in the Trade, have my Degree, and a dozen related Certifications. I'm still going to school.

I am also someone who has taken the opportunity to explore the technical teaching world. I spent a year working for one of the largest For Profit Trade Schools. I spent a year Teaching at one of the local Jr. Colleges, and I have been teaching classes for the UA Apprenticeship program for the past 12 years.

I can give you the straight up low down on each of these institutions. How they operate, the costs, the politics, the quality of the education, promises made, promises kept, the works.

Personally, I am not a fan of the personal attack, but you Sir, are not well informed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I did a presentation at our local trade school recently on wireless gauges and such. This was the second year of a 2 year class and almost the end of the year and they had not got around to even mentioning superheat or subcooling yet so the kids had no clue what I was talking about.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Misinformed about what? What I’ve seen with my good eye? Across the board here in the Desert SW? There’s a reason why the President of EMCOR Services (CA, NV, AZ) told me that out of all the Locals in his geography, AZ and Las Vegas have the worst Training.

Post Likes
    Misinformed about what? What I’ve seen with my good eye? Across the board here in the Desert SW? There’s a reason why the President of EMCOR Services (CA, NV, AZ) told me that out of all the Locals in his geography, AZ and Las Vegas have the worst Training.

Are you possibly basing your opinion on that limited geographic area, and maybe not seeing the broader picture? Are you forgetting that those guys that you're trashing are part of a much larger group? The organization that they're a part of encompasses all of the U.S., Canada, and Australia.

I choose to stay where I am, and to promote what we have for very good reason. Some of which I've already related to you.

The Technicians that make it through our school are top notch, hands down.

We may not win the National Annual Apprenticeship competitions, but we're always in the running.

And the 5 year hands on /classroom education they receive costs the student nothing. It's paid for by the membership. Not to mention the Associates Degree they can walk away with if they take a few online classes during their Apprenticeship.

Misinformed about what? ....... A lot.

Post Likes
    Holy crap that is awesome... Stealing that for sure.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast