Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

Post Likes
    I don't see it happening either, but a pretty good book called PolyMath talks about how people understanding problems (wide knowledge) from multiple directions really contributes to the depths that they understand something quickly. But the world revolves around the thoughts in other books like Malcolm Gladwell talking about the 10,000 rule or depth of knowledge instead of wide.

I remember the old Luxair units from the 70s with the slant front... the way the fan was mounted sucked, and the service valves were inside so it was dorking up your hoses which sucked, BUT they were SO easy for someone to work on to change a compressor , motor, coil... AND with the coil pointed towards the back... kids were not writing their name in the fins all the time...

Now,40 and 50 years later the mini-splits are doing the same kind of thing... fortunately, the louvers make this not as big a problem that it used to be...

But now all of the compressors (and reversing valves) are deep down inside of those wrapped coils... makes my back hurt just thinking about it... so they are no longer designed for repair... just replacement... or a young mans back... which is not the person I would want changing MY reversing valve... but I guess we have become a disposable society...

But you are 100% correct about furnaces being worse. I am not positive, but I am pretty sure they know more about sharpening metal going towards the flame sensor then Buck or Case.

Post Likes
    To add to that... HVAC techs that have no idea how cold an indoor coil is supposed to be, how hot an outdoor coil is supposed to be, or even worse, just guess at what a pressure is supposed to be.

There was a pretty big company down in FL that grew by basically hiring people from the hospitality industry... heard rumor they did not even carry gauges on the truck... were condemning equipment left and right...

There is a moral hazard in our industry and some people can't resist taking advantage of people... it pisses me off and hurts ALL of our reputations...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Any experience helps. Seen new engineers with no ac experience assigned as product managers, 20+ year ac engineers who did not know basic refrigeration, products released without design reviews, and units tested strictly at design conditions.... over sized txv’s, oversized hgbp, critical control set points incorrect, inadequate or improper piping designs, improper component selections, only to name a few.
    Really you need one person on a project to know what they are doing for the overall design or be ready to take advice or input. Many of the engineers will be doing just a part and have no need to know the overall function. Sure experience helps but engineers don't have to be techs. Funny but it seems I have run unto a hundred engineers on my job who thought they were techs.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    I look for an overall appearance. I listen for what they want. I listen for eagerness. I listen for some sort of professionalism fitting their status. I look for happiness. I smell BS rather quickly. I am more of "Let's go see whatcha got" kinda guy. Lets go on a servicer call and you do it all ,from saying hello to the customer to saying "I'm finished". This is for those that say "I am a Tech"! A bunch of them do not like being "TOLD" what to do or how to do it. Most get aggravated w/ me after I say. I did not see you test for "no electricity" after turning off the disconnect, so stop before you put your fingers into that control panel,, for the 4th-5th time. Cripes.

For those in BOCES/Trade Schools/Collège. Lets go to work and bring your book/ 2 top books to work with you and a complete change of clothes. 90% failed that "listen to me" rule. Most say "I thought you were kidding". Then I say "Do not show up for work w/o the books or clothes" or I will send you home. 90% of them tried again to convince me why I was wrong. 100% of them went home. Those that did stay and went to work w/ me would have to show me in their books where they got their info from. Some had no idea where the info was in their study book.

For those looking for a new profession. I am looking for someone who simply listens and mimics after being shown things, like test for no electricity before getting zapped.

Post Likes
    Heh... just had our Jr tech tell our lead who has been out sick for a few months that he could do 80% of the ductwork as good as our installer ... who has been in the field for 30 years and is even better than I am ... we all just laughed .

I remember when we used to MAKE all of our own metal pipe / square duct...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I look for an overall appearance. I listen for what they want. I listen for eagerness. I listen for some sort of professionalism fitting their status. I look for happiness. I smell BS rather quickly. I am more of "Let's go see whatcha got" kinda guy. Lets go on a servicer call and you do it all ,from saying hello to the customer to saying "I'm finished". This is for those that say "I am a Tech"! A bunch of them do not like being "TOLD" what to do or how to do it. Most get aggravated w/ me after I say. I did not see you test for "no electricity" after turning off the disconnect, so stop before you put your fingers into that control panel,, for the 4th-5th time. Cripes.

For those in BOCES/Trade Schools/Collège. Lets go to work and bring your book/ 2 top books to work with you and a complete change of clothes. 90% failed that "listen to me" rule. Most say "I thought you were kidding". Then I say "Do not show up for work w/o the books or clothes" or I will send you home. 90% of them tried again to convince me why I was wrong. 100% of them went home. Those that did stay and went to work w/ me would have to show me in their books where they got their info from. Some had no idea where the info was in their study book.

For those looking for a new profession. I am looking for someone who simply listens and mimics after being shown things, like test for no electricity before getting zapped.

Attitude first.
    Intelligence and aptitude second.

Seasoned Techs prove themselves to me with the little stuff.....

Such as..... hand cleaner, maybe an extra clean shirt, and in our climate, a really seasoned Tech will have drinking water and something to use for poo paper. I always expect a busy seasoned Tech to have a messy truck.

They are suspect if they don't.

Post Likes
    Decades ago there was only one question you needed to ask:

Do you work on your own car?

Problem is, that's hardly a fair question any more, cars are a lot more complicated now than they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lankford View Post
    My number one is honest.

Number two is hard working.

Then low voltage abilities.

I am pretty good at taking those 3 and turning them into a pretty good tech over a busy summer.

What are you looking for.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

8. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Really you need one person on a project to know what they are doing for the overall design or be ready to take advice or input. Many of the engineers will be doing just a part and have no need to know the overall function. Sure experience helps but engineers don't have to be techs. Funny but it seems I have run unto a hundred engineers on my job who thought they were techs.
    Best engineers spend time in field or lab resolving equipment issues. The most impressive I've worked with was Texas A & M grad who initially worked for a design build company where the engineer did the start-ups and warranty . You could discuss an issue with him and he could understand consequences without you having to explain and convince. Worst could not understand why sub-cooling or subcoolers were necessary.

Post Likes
    The guys at FL Watersource Heat Pump (bosch now?) used to call my dad back in the 80s and ask him things... had a lot of respect for them looking for opinions from the field...

Post Likes
    It is strange nowadays, I understand there’s a shortage of Techs nationwide - including in the Unions.
    An HVAC Tech Journeyman who struggles on a 6TR 2 Stage Package Unit and caN’T fix fractional Light Commercial Refrig equipment? When did that become acceptable?
    The Unions haveN’T faired much better, I can name you 2 dozen “Service Tech Journeymen” who are nothing more than Helpers i.e. Service Tradesmen. How did we get to this point?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    It is strange nowadays, I understand there’s a shortage of Techs nationwide - including in the Unions.
    An HVAC Tech Journeyman who struggles on a 6TR 2 Stage Package Unit and caN’T fix fractional Light Commercial Refrig equipment? When did that become acceptable?
    The Unions haveN’T faired much better, I can name you 2 dozen “Service Tech Journeymen” who are nothing more than Helpers i.e. Service Tradesmen. How did we get to this point?!

we as a society decided that people that get their hands dirty are lesser people and we promoted away the respect due are trades
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

13. Likes tmst liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Actually, it wasn't we as a society, it was the colleges and universities from all around our country. It was an advertising campaign that they all paid into, it began back in the early 70's. They paid into it for about thirty years. And I'd have to say it was a rather successful campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by dkalasz View Post
    we as a society decided that people that get their hands dirty are lesser people and we promoted away the respect due are trades
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Actually, it wasn't we as a society, it was the colleges and universities from all around our country. It was an advertising campaign that they all paid into, it began back in the early 70's. They paid into it for about thirty years. And I'd have to say it was a rather successful campaign.
    Yes but we as thinking individuals made the purchase with may have been a fraud to start but we took the ball and ran with it

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I don't see that happening or see the need for it frankly. I assume you are talking about the servicability of certain units. Furnaces come to mind before AC's frankly.
    Depends on the industry. I agree with (HVAC) appliances there should not HAVE to be field time. With CAD computers today you should be able to spin the device around and check for accessibility, access and serviceability. But that doesn't happen all the time, does it. Plus the factory should have a mock up and play with it before it goes into production.
    That being said.. another lifetime I worked for a major oil company. Whenever a PE or any engineer came to work for them they spent 2 to 6 months in the field working with us. That way they got their hands dirty and had an idea when talking about something in the board room. This really worked.

A friend of mine who works with Lockheed told me he spends a lot of time telling new engineers to pull up their pants and to get off their cell phones...
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post

A friend of mine who works with Lockheed told me he spends a lot of time telling new engineers to pull up their pants and to get off their cell phones...
    I bet there are plenty of old farts around that say plenty of similar things.

I remember the Pharoah's chief engineer telling all the young whippersnappers to pull up their pants and drop that stone tablet. The more things change the more they stay the same, right?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Good friggin luck man

The saying "its hard to find good help" has never been more true with this lazy ass generation
    i second the emotion
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

Post Likes

What do you look for in hiring Tech skills first or Aptltude

In my Training Coordinator time, I came across 5 Apprentices who I could tell didN’T have what it took for them to become HVAC Tech. How was I to break it to them? 4 of those 5 are now Service Journeyman Techs who struggle even on smaller Light Commercial repairs. The 5th one is out of the Union, but I’m NOT sure if they’re still in the HVACR field.

Post Likes
    In my Training Coordinator time, I came across 5 Apprentices who I could tell didN’T have what it took for them to become HVAC Tech. How was I to break it to them? 4 of those 5 are now Service Journeyman Techs who struggle even on smaller Light Commercial repairs. The 5th one is out of the Union, but I’m NOT sure if they’re still in the HVACR field.

Seems to me that you are a failure as training coordinator for your union, I can tell you without a doubt the in my local there is not one journeyman that struggles with little boys type of equipment, my union does not waste time and resources on losers, if they are not cut for HVAC service we dump them into the construction side. Contractor wont pay top wages for unskilled guys period.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes

Out of WW2, our Gov in all it's wisdom decided they needed office workers... put out a bunch of propaganda with posters showing greasy guys in working mans clothes beat down next to guys wearing suits and girls hanging off of them talking about how you should go to college...

Now we have massive amounts of people counting the productivity of the few.

Mike Rowe talks about this quite a bit, how they shamed the working man.

Germany took a different direction. Out of HS, you went into an apprenticeship / tech school or college and both were respected.

Post Likes
    Time for this video again. It never gets old.

Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

23. Likes BBeerme, Nuclrchiller, dieseldude liked this post.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast