Thread: Thoughts on forum joining

Post Likes

Thoughts on forum joining

I am looking forward to being a "full member" but would like to leave this feedback as a new member.

I have been in HVAC since 1979, helped quite a few customers and green techs, pretty technical in nature and have been on the internet before Amazon and Google.

But the posting / becoming a full member procedure here is pretty frustrating... X amount of posts, but they can only be in this or that area etc... Perhaps an added method as an alternate with say a technical set of questions or a small dissertation could be used also?

Post Likes
    I think the only requirement on the 15 posts is that they be of a technical nature. Very easy to do that. I've even seen guys tack on to the end of a thread with something like "good idea", or "I hate when that happens", lol. Maybe just add on another piece of advice to one.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    I don't want to be one of "those guys" that just half asses things...

I want to do it proper and earn it.

4. Likes Nuclrchiller, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I think the reason is it would be easy to find answers to questions on the web as well as get info to write a paper so to speak. Giving tech talk to a situation is a bit different in my opinion, makes it easier to pick out the guys that are true techs and those that play at being a tech. I think it is part of trying to keep the technical side of this forum the best it can be.

I guess the other response would be if you don't want to go through the hazing process maybe you really don't want to be part of the club.

I don't know, it really doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, but what do I know.

6. Likes Nuclrchiller, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lankford View Post
    I don't want to be one of "those guys" that just half asses things...

I want to do it proper and earn it.
    Just a quick glance at your profile and your posts leads me to believe that you've been eligible for pro status for some time now. You just gotta ask for it to happen. It isn't automatic.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There's "pro" members on here that probably shouldn't be considered pro but their here.
    What's holding you back ?

10. Likes Nuclrchiller, kdean1, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Pro here seems to use the definition that you are paid. Not necessarily that you are an expert.

12. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Pro here seems to use the definition that you are paid. Not necessarily that you are an expert.
    That's very true and is probably the case in most professional fields 😉

14. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I think the only requirement on the 15 posts is that they be of a technical nature. Very easy to do that. I've even seen guys tack on to the end of a thread with something like "good idea", or "I hate when that happens", lol. Maybe just add on another piece of advice to one.
    The minimum number of posts is 15 to qualify for Pro Technical membership and 30 posts for Business & Marketing.

It's true that they must be technical in nature HVAC-related. In addition, frivolous posts are not acceptable, so those such as "I hate it when that happens LOL" could be considered frivolous as it doesn't really contribute to a technical discussion. These 15 posts should be taken seriously, as they are a reflection of your professionalism.

16. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You don't necessarily have to get paid to become a Professional Member, just have the proper credentials to show that you are in the business or connected with the industry in a reasonable capacity. IE: I don't see why a retired Pro can't get in. Icemeister can give more details.

As for post minimums, etc...we are using older forum software that don't have some of the newer forms of verification, and for now we cannot upgrade to newer software due to fragility in our database from the great crash we had awhile back. So we're doing the best we can with the tools we have. Spammers are a HUGE problem these days, and we do our best to keep them out. For the ones that still get through, we respond and "poof" them as quickly as possible. We have an army of members here who report spammers when they see them so the mods can respond and nuke them. Ultimately, the eyes of our loyal members are the best weapon we have for keeping this forum safe and secure.

18. Likes R600a, VTP99 liked this post.