Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compressor Went Bad with R22, Replace Exact Compressor with R407?

Post Likes
    Did you get a 2nd or 3rd opinion yet?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Maybe we miss understood and it's 4 guys for one hour.
    Ohhh wait it's probably that big yellow box company with HOUR in the name 😆
    In my neighborhood the big yellow box guys are trained crooks, they don't stop with the elderly, they use fear tactics to force sales at night.
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Just yesterday I replaced a compressor. Removed 14 pounds of R-22. Probably another pound of vapor in the system even though it was in a vacuum. Put 13 pounds (actually 12.7) back in. Just the recovery alone probably took over an hour. The vacuum after words, including a blank off test to assure no leaks, maybe 2 hours.

The job as a whole took 8 hrs. But it was commercial. Two story building with no elevator. And a new hire apprentice, which takes extra time showing him and telling exactly why I am doing what I am doing.

But a one hour compressor change is about as hack as it gets. Just sayin'.
    ?How many tons of cooling? I remember a post where the "insurance repair company was going to charge 12# of R22 into a 3 ton heat pump at an exorbatant amount.
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Biltmore View Post
    Hi everyone. New on here, so hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

I was told that our ac compressor has died and needs to be replaced. It is covered under home-owner warranty, and they have yet to get back to me, so I was wanting to be informed in advance. Also because, I've been told varying things in regards to the system. Last time, the HVAC tech told us during a servicing that they will need to replace the entire unit when it went bad because it was the outdated R22. The recent tech said that they can just replace the compressor and drop R407 in it instead and keep everything else the same (coils, evaporator, fan, board etc). Also online, in a search of putting R407 in a R22 system, a result popped up saying it is illegal to do and has heavy fines.

I am attaching a picture of the unit's label for your info if it could be of any help.

So my questions, was the last tech right about having to replace the entire unit or is the new tech right about just replacing the compressor only? Also, will it be safe? Similar function/efficiency and expectancy? Will it need any further modification such as coils or piping etc?

Also, a side question, I was told the warranty only covers $/lb freon, and the tech told me R407 will be around $/ lb. That seems expensive and I was wondering if that seems about right or if that is too high?

Thank you for all of your help and advice in advance!

Attachment 823287
    Attachment 823288
    You’re fine to switch to 407c Evacuate the system properly as to remove all traces of R22 and I’m not positive but I think 407c uses POE oil. If old compressor had mineral than you may wanna flush the system with r-11; not a bad idea anyways if this is a burnout; weather 407c works with mineral or Poe the new compressor will most likely come with Poe in it; change the dryer out and drop that 407c right in there; 407c will run a higher head; check your pt charts

5. Likes Biltmore liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Did you get a 2nd or 3rd opinion yet?
    Yes, today Bazooka Joe. Another came out and said the compressor is an electrical burnout. It shorted to ground and tripped the breaker. Said the refrigerant will be containment and will need to be properly flushed. Said will need a new compressor and refrigerant, and filter I think.

Post Likes
    I believe this is a straight a/c if I looked up the model correctly; you really need to replace the unit and an indoor coil is cheap and easy to replace to match the new outdoor unit; maybe the home warranty company could put in a new unit and allow you to pay the difference. Honestly I’d be pissed if my home warranty company doesn’t qualify that as totaled; I don’t think we can discuss numbers but I can say with certainty that a compressor cost more than a new a/c; when you buy a compressor you have to buy a dryer, r-11 flush, Freon at the going rate and it takes just as long to replace as a new unit; a new unit comes precharged with Freon and any cheap brand is better than an old ac and coil with a new compressor; idk what the warranty company has to loose

Post Likes
    It was pretty heavy. Copeland with a 53 in the model number, so maybe 4.5 tons? Split system for the first floor, condensing unit on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpdigger View Post
    How many tons of cooling? I remember a post where the "insurance repair company was going to charge 12# of R22 into a 3 ton heat pump at an exorbatant amount.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Did they say the refrigerant IS burnt or should be replaced? A compressor can short to ground without it being to bad, but if it was a running burnout then the whole inside of the condenser may have contamination. This might require the contractor to come back and replace the filter/driers and refrigerant until the system is free of acid, failure to do that will allow the acid the eat away the copper from the inside and eat the windings on a new compressor. At the least, a high moisture filter/drier should be installed on the liquid line and a filter installed on the suction line and the system tested for acid after a day or three. The suction line filter is only meant to be on for a couple days and then removed, as it can cause compressor damage if left on, so potentially your looking at several trips for a contractor and no, your HW will not pay for that. Take their payout before it becomes an endless money pit for you

Post Likes
    What’s your plan, if you don’t mind me asking, as you got a bunch of good info....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in