Thread: ECM bench testing

Post Likes

ECM bench testing

I am trying to bench test and ECM 142 condenser fan motor. The control board is sending a control for 28v '"DC". I have already verified line voltage. My question is, will a 24v "AC" signal test this module.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Post Likes
    My guess would be no.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    You surenuff can’t, spend to change to get a dc power supply.

Post Likes
    Try a 9 volt battery. Not sure what speed it will spin, but it should do something. Also it’s hard to judge performance without the load of the fan blade and airflow.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    I am trying to bench test and ECM 142 condenser fan motor. The control board is sending a control for 28v '"DC". I have already verified line voltage. My question is, will a 24v "AC" signal test this module.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, if it's getting 28 DC volts, and line voltage, you did test it. If it's not working, it's probably the module, could be the motor, but I doubt it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

6. Likes Artietech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    ..if it's getting 28 DC volts, and line voltage, you did test it.

8. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes, I did test it, yes it is getting line voltage and 28v DC input signal from board. Older ECM'S had an auto change over feature that would except an 24v AC signal and would at least run even if it normally took a PWM signal. I was asking if this 142 ecm was different. The answer is that this motor will not auto change over, it has to be DC PWM signal so bench testing without the board or a PWM board will not work. It is and American standard model 6H6060A100A0. I was hoping someone could tell me if the 28V DC PWM signal was correct as the module will not perform if the signal is not correct. I.E. too high or too low. I believe the module is bad but wanted to verify it and not be just guessing.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Post Likes
    https://www.thedealertoolbox.com/cus...Guide%20r6.pdf

Will you meter read Hz? If so check the DC signal and it should be between 40hz and 200hz according to one manual I read for a 142R
    https://www.regalbeloit.com/-/media/...08C6351FB2E7C5

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    It is and American standard model 6H6060A100A0. I was hoping someone could tell me if the 28V DC PWM signal was correct as the module will not perform if the signal is not correct. I.E. too high or too low. I believe the module is bad but wanted to verify it and not be just guessing.
    I emailed you a manual on Trane ECM's, so take a look at it.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.