+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone use this Drier?

Post Likes

Anyone use this Drier?

Price is good. Anyone have any quality issues with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It has a UL stamp. Give one or two a try. Open it up, it may be the same Drier as other manufacturers just different paint. Good luck

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    I've used them before, used to buy them at Insco. I would use them if I knew the system hadn't been contaminated or open, just when replacing a drier as a matter of course. They were a cheap option to the Sporlan, which was the only thing they carried for a long time. I don't know what else to say except that they seemed to work fine. I mean, wherever I put them in, they didn't leak or come apart internally, which I suppose is the minimum I could ask for. But I don't work for that company anymore, So I dont know about long term performance.

As an aside, has anyone noticed that the Sporlan quality is not what it used to be? The grey paint seems to be way easier to burn off than it used to be, and last 305S I got looked counterfeit because it's not even labeled with paint anymore, just a little paper sticker.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    I recently switched from sporlan to EK dryers. The ek video on YouTube certainly opened my eyes.
    And the ek is half the price of a sporlan

5. Likes GoCougs, mrcool liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    I recently switched from sporlan to EK dryers. The ek video on YouTube certainly opened my eyes.
    Yeah forsure that vid really surprised me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    The one where they tap the Sporlan and the trash flows right out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Wow that is crazy. I always thought sporlan was the best.
    For anybody else who hadn't seen the video here it is.
    https://youtu.be/s8oT552XeGI

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

9. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes there good.. I used a few. No problems. They also sell caps and contactors.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    So here is what I don't like about EK driers. They come with these loose caps over the ends. You can easily pull them off or sometimes they fall off. So you have a desiccant drier that is not supposed to be exposed to atmosphere as much as possible easily exposed to atmosphere and moisture.

Sporlan driers have caps that are difficult to remove. You often need a knife to get them off flare driers. You know they have never been removed or fallen off.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

12. Likes Pnasty, icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Wow that is crazy. I always thought sporlan was the best.
    For anybody else who hadn't seen the video here it is.
    https://youtu.be/s8oT552XeGI

This video is older than 2009 back in 04 or so we had the alco rep come buy some flare sporlans from us which i thought was odd. The next week guys were talking about this demonstration that was used to simulate motor shavings. I talked to my sporlan rep about this I guess this had been done for years as a marketing ploy. They knew the micron of the carbon was just below the screen used by sporlan. They eventually changed the screen to the same size as alco’s under protest of many because the new driers would clog or restrict faster in some situations. This causing more drier changes to clean the system up.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    This video is older than 2009 back in 04 or so we had the alco rep come buy some flare sporlans from us which i thought was odd. The next week guys were talking about this demonstration that was used to simulate motor shavings. I talked to my sporlan rep about this I guess this had been done for years as a marketing ploy. They knew the micron of the carbon was just below the screen used by sporlan. They eventually changed the screen to the same size as alco’s under protest of many because the new driers would clog or restrict faster in some situations. This causing more drier changes to clean the system up.
    I figured there was some catch behind it and I wasn't really ready to switch from Sporlan because I've never had a problem and I really like them. Personally I prefer better filtration with a few more clogs because I've studied bearing lubrication way too much and the really small particles do cause bearing wear.

"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Interesting video.

There isn't much of a "micron" filter, on the leaving side of any drier.

Most just have a very thin pad.

Post Likes
    That S/E, isn't that what R E Michel sells for lots less than the others?

Post Likes
    Where's the horse? Where's the cart?

I judge the "system" to help me figure out what type/style/function FD I "shall"( as per the NEC) install on this unit/system. I mostly sell the HH type of FD because I am cleaning up a crappy system. A nice new SGMI is mandatory in most cases. A bunch of times I get to replace the new 303/304/305 HH LLFD, that I installed on Monday again on Thursday or Friday, along w/ Labor. Then my next best seller is the C/EK 303....ALL SAE,ALL SAE., Again, chosen by "the system" as interpreted by me.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    RSES,SAM#620-16C,,2001,,"DESICANTS AND DRIERS" by Sporlan, 12pgs
    RSES, before SAM, 1953,,Section 5, "Refrigerant Driers" by Walter O. Walker, 15pgs.
    Copeland AEB #AE-1297-R1,,1993,,"Liquid Line Filter-Driers,,3pgs.
    Sporlan Form#40-130,,1994,,"Desicant Compatability",3 pgs
    Sporlan Bulletin # 40-10,2003,, "LLFD&SLFD" ,,31pgs.
    ALCO,Article,, "Liquid Line Filter-Driers ,,by R.W.Jokerst ,6pgs.
    the NEWS,2000,,"A guide to understanding filter-drier functions and types" ,, 6pgs

ALL a Good Read.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in