+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Door Gasket Installation Assistance

Post Likes

Door Gasket Installation Assistance

I ordered two Thermo-Kool 511500 Door Gaskets from Partstown for a cooler and freezer in one of my kitchens. The gaskets I received look just like the gasket in the photograph off of the Partstown website.

The problem I'm having is I can't get the magnets to move inside the gasket in order to get the corners of the magnets to meet up with the corners of the magnets at the top of the gasket and to not have the magnets sticking out of the bottom of the gasket.

Is this by design or is Thermo-Kool sending out screwed up door gaskets because both of my gaskets look just like the one in the photograph. I've installed a lot of door gaskets in my day, but I've never had one where the gaskets aren't sealed at the ends and with the magnets coming out like these.

Is there a trick to getting the magnets to move inside the gaskets? I've tried manipulating the gaskets, but it's like the magnets are stuck and they won't budge.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 12.12.40 PM.png
Views: 956
Size:  162.5 KB
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I've gotten them like that. I think it took repetitive steps of "pushing" the magnet in as far as possible, "pinching" the end (bottom of gasket), then "massaging" to gradually work the magnet back up to the mitered corners while getting it all to lay flat again (vice full of humps). It's a PITA.

I'd noticed that original three-sided gaskets installed at the factory come pinched under the sweep gasket to keep the magnet from sliding out. To simply just seal up the end outright, I've used vinyl cement.
    https://rhadhesives.com/product/hh-66/

3. Likes SandShark liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Silicone
    or a small flat head screw

Post Likes
    I just got off the phone with Thermo-Kool. I was told that the ends aren't sealed because they sometimes need to be cut to length to match up with the door sweep. I understand that, but I've installed many Kolpak 3-sided door gaskets and 1) none of them have to be cut and 2) because they don't have to be cut, the bottom of the gaskets are sealed.

He tells me to put them in a sink and soak them with hot water for a few minutes. Then, he tells me to take a rubber mallet and use the mallet to beat on the gasket to make the magnets work their way up to the corners. I'm not convinced that's going to work, but that's all I got from Thermo-Kool. We'll see...

Post Likes
    I would return it. Not having a finished edge on the non-corner side is not acceptable. In fact as these part houses continue to gobble up one another I hold them to product quality and at their expense. They all need better training of their staff. Don't buy gaskets from them if they are not willing to ship you quality. Look around for another source. One I work with is Case Parts. They never gave me a gasket with a loose magnet end.

7. Likes Gary Warren Jr liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EjBreeze View Post
    I would return it. Not having a finished edge on the non-corner side is not acceptable. In fact as these part houses continue to gobble up one another I hold them to product quality and at their expense. They all need better training of their staff. Don't buy gaskets from them if they are not willing to ship you quality. Look around for another source. One I work with is Case Parts. They never gave me a gasket with a loose magnet end.
    I hear what you're saying. I don't disagree, but what good would it do to return them? These gaskets are manufacturer specific, made for specific doors and they have a specific part number. I don't know, even if I did buy from another source other than Partstown, that the gaskets would be any different. Besides that, I can deal with the edge not being finished. I just can't deal with the magnets hanging out of the bottom and not being able to move them further up into the gasket without having to beat on them with a rubber mallet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    I hear what you're saying. I don't disagree, but what good would it do to return them? These gaskets are manufacturer specific, made for specific doors and they have a specific part number. I don't know, even if I did buy from another source other than Partstown, that the gaskets would be any different. Besides that, I can deal with the edge not being finished. I just can't deal with the magnets hanging out of the bottom and not being able to move them further up into the gasket without having to beat on them with a rubber mallet.

I have never in 35 years in this profession seen a gasket made were the magnets were free to drop out. What piece of equipment is this for. Model number if you have it. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EjBreeze View Post
    I have never in 35 years in this profession seen a gasket made were the magnets were free to drop out. What piece of equipment is this for. Model number if you have it. Thanks.
    They are for doors on a Thermo-Kool walk-in-cooler and walk-in-freezer.

They look just like this door.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 7.50.09 PM.png
Views: 864
Size:  1.12 MB

Post Likes
    Normal 3 sided gasket. The ends should be sealed so the magnets doesn't come out. I see this happening when ordering a gasket to be made to size and it was ordered incorrectly. Did you find the make and model?

Post Likes
    I have never seen a gasket made open. I'd return it, go to a supply house that will order what you want. I usually go to my supply house with the sizes that I measured (make sure to measure the outside of the gasket). Then they could custom make the gasket. Id take a sample to the supply house due to there are so many different types.

Post Likes
    The ends should be sealed. Might be a manufacture defect. I get all my gaskets from Case Parts or Refrigeration Hardware Supply (RHS).

Post Likes
    I use RSD.

15. Likes Bob-Brr liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you still have brand, model and serial you can order the factory seals. If not you can measure and get custom seals.

Post Likes
    Hot water is your friend , get them warm and straightened out before you try to get them back in. I don't have any issues after I let them "loosen up"

18. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I know many brands like Brown that are three sided and you cut to length. Some use a screw to keep them from coming out or you can seal them yourself with soldergun or quick sealant.

Post Likes
    Yes hot water, direct sun or heat gun works great.

Post Likes
    X million times. You da man pec.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in