Thread: BRYANT HEAT PUMP - 76/78 LOW/HIGH STAGE REPEAT NO START

Post Likes

BRYANT HEAT PUMP - 76/78 LOW/HIGH STAGE REPEAT NO START

Hello,

Homeowner here on a new-to-me system. The system is a Bryant system (see below) with Evolution Connex Wifi Thermostat. I receive emails labeled "ROUTINE NOTIFICATION" that are one of two types almost everyday:

76-LOW STAGE REPEAT NO START
    78-HIGH STAGE REPEAT NO START

I had technician came out and could not find anything wrong with the heat pump. He said mechanically there was nothing wrong, so might be some electronics components, but he wasn't sure and seemed frustrated himself. He replaced the capacitor and low/high stage relays, and messed around with the thermostat, the errors came away for a week or two, not it is back.

From the Bryant iPhone App:

Fan Coil
    Model: FE4ANB005

Heat Pump
    Model: 286ANA036000CB

We still get hot/cold air as we should, but the heat pump would shut down when these errors pop up and would wait for a good 15 minutes to kick back on. We would lose heating or cooling during these minutes which makes the house hot/cold.

Any suggestion/help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Likes godwei123 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    How old is it, if you don't know, post the serial number of the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    How old is it, if you don't know, post the serial number of the outdoor unit.
    The outdoor unit serial no. Is 4208E10730. It was installed in 2008 i think.

Post Likes
    Should have a Bristol TS compressor in it. Unless it failed earlier and had the scroll replacement put in it.

Those units had lots of compressor problems.

Was the tech that came out, from a Carrier dealer.

Unfortunately, yours is out of warranty.

http://siglercarrier.com/wp-content/...nt-Program.pdf

Post Likes
    Yes the tech was an authorized dealer. It's frustrating to see an authorized technician struggle(and fail) to find the cause.

Do you think it would be caused by a bad control board? Since it's about opening and closing relays, and if relays are new, must be the signal source that fails.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Could be the board. Or an overload safety opening in the compressor.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately you will find parts changers more often then true mechanics or technicians. Keep looking you will find one eventually!

Post Likes
    I can't disagree with that. Worst case I think I would have to replace the heat pump.

Does anyone have recommendation on single vs two-stage? I know two stage comes with a lot of bells and whistles. But that also translate into more problems and cost more to fix. Thank you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in