+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New amp meter

Post Likes

New amp meter

I just lost my Fluke T5-1000

So I’m gonna need to replace it. My gut position is to just by another one, maybe try the T6-1000

The main purpose I use the meter for is amperage, and I don’t really have a big desire for an all in one type meter.

But, for roughly the same money, perhaps less, I could get a UEI-DL369

Which has sort of caught my eye. I’ve never owned a non-fluke electric meter.

But I think I may have used a co-workers and remember not hating it like I have when I tried the fieldpiece ones some of them have.

Any other suggestions?

keeping in mind main features I’m looking for are compact size, amp readings, basic volt/ohms, and around 100 bucks price range.

I have plenty of other meters for the advanced stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I picked up the UEI wireless one, buttons too small , meter too big. I still prefer the Fluke T-series.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

3. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm sour on UEi right now. One of my favorite meters I've had was a mini clamp meter. It was a little beefier than a Snickers bar. I want to say amprobe because that's what it replaced but can't remember. The clamp pulled off the end where the test leads also went.

Extech MA150 is kinda similar.

Post Likes
    Knowing you, just from this site, I would say that you would not like the dl369. I had one actually two or three in the last 10 years and I finally gave up on them because what will happen if the battery gets weak, but doesn't show low battery, is you will get voltages that don't make sense. You may read 260vac across 2 , 480 legs and think there's a problem. Theres is, but it's the meter. It is also slow to react. But that's ok, just takes getting used to.
    I just got the FP 480. It will check rotation also, and is bluetooth and power use capable.
    Added strip heat to a lab furnace recently, and it was cool standing at the stat and watching the amperage change from there.
    The 680 has a swivel head too, but I didnt want the extra bulk.
    Killer magnet on the DL. Nice seeing vac and amps on the screen at the same time on the DL and 460.
    I dont really like the small switch on the 460.
    Personally, with the work you do, you should go fluke cause at least then you can feel like you have the better meter for the job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Seems like you have said you have a Fluke 87. Have you looked into the amp adapters for it? I have had one for years and year, goes up to 200 A, don't know if you can still get that style, about an 1" square 3" long, jaw opening about a 1/2 so not for huge wire but seems very accurate.

Post Likes
    For $100 try what ever you want but if I'm reading you right if there is one minor thing you don't like about the new non-Fluke you will buy a Fluke. It is hard to change after you have had instruments you know are always on the money.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    The T6-1000 seems cool measuring voltage and amperage simultaneously with just the jaw.
    Haven't heard much about it if it actually works. I thought there were some grumblings early on though.

9. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Seems like you have said you have a Fluke 87. Have you looked into the amp adapters for it? I have had one for years and year, goes up to 200 A, don't know if you can still get that style, about an 1" square 3" long, jaw opening about a 1/2 so not for huge wire but seems very accurate.
    Yes, I have that remote type. Which Im using now in the interim till I get the replacement everyday amp meter.

I like to measure amps while measuring other things from time to time. So 2 small everyday meters in the pouch is my method

11. Likes COOLJIM liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I get it. I have the 87 with the clamp attachment in the bag then I have a 902 hanging on the bag. Then there is always the 289 in the truck. I may be covered.

13. Likes HVACmedic911 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Extech MA140 looks interesting.
    Inrush
    Low Pass
    True RMS

Button style batteries stink

Post Likes
    Flir VT8-1000

Looks pretty competitive also to the Fluke I’m used to, but will also do micro farads and the leads are removable. And the 1000v meter will go to 200 amps, where the fluke topped out at 100 if I recall right.

I might give them a try.

Not settled though.

Post Likes
    I use a fluke 902 and really like it!
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I use a fluke 902 and really like it!
    Better see if that 902 was recalled. I must say, fluke has really gone downhill in the last 10 years

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I really like my Testo 770-3, I also have flukes but prefer the testo. The amp clamp on it is very different and the one side retracts down into the meter body instead of two arms opening to the sides. Makes for very easy and safe grabbing of wires inside motor starter panels etc... Downside is it doesn't have a magnet strap on the back, but some epoxy and some rare earth magnets on the back makes it even better for sticking to metal panels

19. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by technocratic View Post
    Better see if that 902 was recalled. I must say, fluke has really gone downhill in the last 10 years

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    the recall is for the FC model.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

21. Likes crazzycajun liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Still undecided. I did find an Amprobe I forgot I had, so Im using that for now. So, the necessity for a speedy purchase has fallen away.

I did however figure out that I am partial to the fork design of the fluke T series.

After seeing that flir has a fork type, I have found a couple more. The testo 755-2 has caught my eye because it has a phase rotation feature, and also goes to 200 amps.

Post Likes
    I’ve always been interested to try Hioki for meters, maybe check them out

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post

When I first got into this trade I had a Hioki analog VOM. It was a good meter but I wouldn’t trade it for the Fluke 87 I have.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post

I looked at them, and maybe its just the specs are listed weird, but they all start at 5 amp to whatever from what I recall.

So seems low end amperage may not work well.

But I have heard good things about hioki from some of my industrial electrician/plant maintenance customers.

But they deal in high amps mainly, so not sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in