Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a Hilmor recovery machine?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Man things escalated quickly. Been using the same g5 for 12 years. Only time I can recall having an issue, using to pump virgin 410a into a system when it was 0* out and the wind blowing like a mother trucker on the roof. Yes, I had to throttle it in very slowly.

Outside that, never used ice or the such. I let someone borrow my machine for a weekend to recover 90+ units so he could scrap them. But he also filled a 50# tank with 100+ lbs soooooo I can’t really blame the machine for him slamming refrigerant into an already full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Darn it nobody mentioned temperature so I used freshly boiled water!
    All of your advice siting originally "operator error"... something tells me you don't even recover...

Post Likes
    LOL

Last place I worked (been where I am now ~7 yrs) had one recovery unit for 8-10 techs, and the service area is/was HUGE. That's when I went out and bought my own recovery unit.

The idea is that you always want to do things proper and to the very best of your ability, even when working alone. Because if you don't, two things happen. First, you will never know how good you are. Secondly, likely you won't be able to get it right when someone is watching over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tackett View Post
    All of your advice siting originally "operator error"... something tells me you don't even recover...
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

Post Likes
    Man things escalated quickly. Been using the same g5 for 12 years. Only time I can recall having an issue, using to pump virgin 410a into a system when it was 0* out and the wind blowing like a mother trucker on the roof. Yes, I had to throttle it in very slowly.

Outside that, never used ice or the such. I let someone borrow my machine for a weekend to recover 90+ units so he could scrap them. But he also filled a 50# tank with 100+ lbs soooooo I can’t really blame the machine for him slamming refrigerant into an already full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Darn it nobody mentioned temperature so I used freshly boiled water!
    Where was your bucket of water with ice on this one, smart guy?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Where was your bucket of water with ice on this one, smart guy?
    His bucket of ice was in Ohio and my recovery tank was sitting dry in the Oklahoma sun because I have never needed ice or water for the small systems I work on.
    I did have a high pressure trip the other day but that's because I overfilled a tank so I had to have a spare brought out.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

5. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes

I'm the "smart guy" remember 😃

7. Likes R600a, vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I do my HVAC like I do my women. Blo and go. Ain’t nobody got time to recover that stuff.

9. Likes R600a, HVAC_Marc, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The bucket of water IS the recovery tank.
    Nest is POO!!

11. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Ive been really happy with my CPS recovery machine. It's light and chugs liquid just fine. CPS sells all their own repair parts, not that I've ever needed any. It only went out on safety once and that was my fault for not cooling my recovery cylinder. I took a chance because it was a very steep roof and setting up a bucket with ice water just wasnt going to happen.

We have both The G5 twin and the CPS. We keep the G5 on our install truck but I keep the CPS on my little service truck. It works great and is so little and light. I never need ice for the G5 but we only do residential and we are usually recovering in the morning.

13. Likes HVAC_Marc, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim5418 View Post
    We have both The G5 twin and the CPS. We keep the G5 on our install truck but I keep the CPS on my little service truck. It works great and is so little and light. I never need ice for the G5 but we only do residential and we are usually recovering in the morning.
    You’re clearly doing it wrong. Didn’t you read the OP

Post Likes
    You’re clearly doing it wrong. Didn’t you read the OP

Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    R600a took the words right outta my mouth. I've been using a g5twin for about 7 years with not a hitch. Can't imagine anything else.
    I bought a NAVAC recovery machine....puts the G5 to shame...which used to be my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    My friend has their vacuum pump and yes it kicks azz !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    My friend has their vacuum pump and yes it kicks azz !
    I have the Vacuum pump too..

Post Likes
    Small but mighty 😉

Post Likes
    Word around town is the Fleshlight thingy is more exciting and better than a mere pump...
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    I bought a NAVAC recovery machine....puts the G5 to shame...which used to be my favorite.

You have the 4 cylinder machine and recover vapor?
    I'm not seeing anything that comes close to the G5 liquid numbers. Let it rip with liquid. Might slow with vapor but your ahead of the game with initial liquid recovery. Can't see it being put to shame with those published specs.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Navac may be good but I have to research their parts availability and repair services before I'd be interested in owning one.
    Heck I bought their $15 tubing cutter but only after checking how many parts were available for it and they have great parts availability on that tool so I bought it and I'm probably going to buy a couple more sizes when I wear out my rigid because the little navac cuts twice as fast as the bigger ridgid.
    Personally in residential I don't see that much potential for saving time with a fast recovery machine.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I believe people are missing the importance of the 3 brown bottles embedded in the ice.....

24. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    You have the 4 cylinder machine and recover vapor?
    I'm not seeing anything that comes close to the G5 liquid numbers. Let it rip with liquid. Might slow with vapor but your ahead of the game with initial liquid recovery. Can't see it being put to shame with those published specs.
    Not sure what you are looking at??

https://navacglobal.com/wp-content/u...ylinder-RU.pdf

I have the NRDD 2 cylinder.

Appion is fast with some refrigerants and slower with others....really not enough difference to worry about.

The NAVAC is almost as light, the power cord is detachable and easily replaced as it is a standard style electronics cord. It comes with a shoulder carrying strap. It came with a filter dryer. It came with the 80% tanks shut off if you so desire to use that.

It also has a purge function, to purge the refrigerant out of your hoses and into the tank. The Appion drove me nuts with how much gas you would loose with all the refrigerant sitting in your hoses.

NAVAC has a standard 2 year warranty and 3 years if you register the unit. Appion is 1 year.

26. Likes R600a, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Not sure what you are looking at??

https://navacglobal.com/wp-content/u...ylinder-RU.pdf

I have the NRDD 2 cylinder.

Appion is fast with some refrigerants and slower with others....really not enough difference to worry about.

The NAVAC is almost as light, the power cord is detachable and easily replaced as it is a standard style electronics cord. It comes with a shoulder carrying strap. It came with a filter dryer. It came with the 80% tanks shut off if you so desire to use that.

It also has a purge function, to purge the refrigerant out of your hoses and into the tank. The Appion drove me nuts with how much gas you would loose with all the refrigerant sitting in your hoses.

NAVAC has a standard 2 year warranty and 3 years if you register the unit. Appion is 1 year.

Those are different than the numbers at true tech tools.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast