Thread: Asking advice on York vs. other heater options for Bay Area bungalow. Two-stage?

Post Likes

Asking advice on York vs. other heater options for Bay Area bungalow. Two-stage?

Hi all, I’m a new member and hope everyone is keeping well. I’d appreciate your thoughts on the best heater options.

Humble abode: 920sf bungalow, working class city north of Berkeley CA , built 1948, bought 11 years ago. Basically a solid one-story home in Zone 3 but like its owner a bit creaky. 10 windows, crawl space. Attic has a 30y.o. Payne unit that still runs with some repairs, but it’s time to replace. Return in hallway; I do swap filters out. The Payne has 69,000 BTUH input at 80%. I want to have a spanking new furnace added and 7 ancient supply ducts replaced. Will also upgrade attic insulation w/ R-38 batting (not included in estimates). Don’t know TEL and most HVAC folks who have visited don’t do a load calc.

Contractors: All over the place, from exorbitant to pretty cheap. Let’s just say high estimate for heater and ducting runs about 3x the low. I very much liked Mr. Low who has an excellent reputation and is local. Didn’t try to upsell; thought I’d do fine with 80% single stage York, which he deals. HOWEVER, the estimate came in-- without model #s,-- lowest for a 60K BTU 80% York Guardian, which a bit of research suggests is barrel-bottom model. The output seems about right, 40-45K range (I think).

Questions:
    1. Tempting to go for a high-efficiency model but why bother? It’s San Francisco weather here: Mediterranean. 80% AFUE should work, right?
    2. Do I need two-stage? I presume I can do without variable speeds. It’s a six-room bungalow.
    3. As others on this site have said, I’d like to not overspend. But I want to get a decent *middle-tier* heater that is reliable and durable. 20 years would be nice. Our ancient Payne heats the place fine, and does not quick-cycle. We keep it at 68-70 when on.
    4. I’m tempted to ask Mr. Low for a mid-range Bryant quote, or similar. You guys are the experts (I know there’s no agreement), but what make/models are likely to endure?
    Really appreciate your answers. Stay safe!

Post Likes

Building Thermal Envelope Description ? ?? ???

ZIP _ _ _ _ ?

$0._ _ _ / kw-hr
    $_._ _ _ / Therm Natural Gas

Design Temperature 42.4'F ___ ASHRAE 99.0%

Original Windows
    _ or _ Replaced with Double Pane in 19_ _ or 20 _ _ ?

R-38 Ceiling _ new
    R-3 Walls _ no insulation

R_ ?? Floor

_________ 920 Sq feet, single story
    Perimeter: ~ 36' x 26'
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nuanqi1 View Post

Hi all, I’m a new member and hope everyone is keeping well.
    I’d appreciate your thoughts on the best heater options.

Humble abode: 920sf bungalow,
    working class city north of Berkeley CA , built 1948, bought 11 years ago.

Basically a solid one-story home in Zone 3 but like its owner a bit creaky.
    _____ 10 windows, crawl space.

Attic has a 30 Year Old Payne unit that still runs with some repairs,
    but it’s time to replace.

Return in hallway; I do swap filters out. The Payne has 69,000 BTUH input at 80%.
    I want to have a spanking new furnace added and 7 ancient supply ducts replaced.
    Will also upgrade attic insulation w/ R-38 batting (not included in estimates).

Don’t know TEL and most HVAC folks who have visited
    Don’t do a Load Calc.

Contractors: All over the place, from exorbitant to pretty cheap. Let’s just say high estimate for heater and ducting runs about 3x the low. I very much liked Mr. Low who has an excellent reputation and is local.

Didn’t try to upsell; thought I’d do fine with 80% single stage York, which he deals.

HOWEVER, the estimate came in-- without model #s,
    -- lowest for a 60K BTU 80% York Guardian, which a bit of research suggests is barrel-bottom model.
    The output seems about right, 40-45K range (I think).

Questions:
    1. Tempting to go for a high-efficiency model but why bother?
    It’s San Francisco weather here: Mediterranean.
    80% AFUE should work, right?

2. Do I need two-stage?
    I presume I can do without variable speeds.
    It’s a six-room bungalow.

3. As others on this site have said, I’d like to not overspend.
    But I want to get a decent *middle-tier* heater that is reliable and durable.
    20 years would be nice.
    Our ancient Payne heats the place fine, and does not quick-cycle.
    We keep it at 68-70 when on.

4. I’m tempted to ask Mr. Low for a mid-range Bryant quote, or similar. You guys are the experts (I know there’s no agreement), but what make/models are likely to endure?

Really appreciate your answers. Stay safe!
    ~ 21,900 BTU/HR at 36'F ODT at 70'F inside
    ___ 19,320 ______ at 40'F ODT

Do you use ~ 390 therms Natural Gas per heating seaason?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    As far as brands go they really are pretty much the same. I'd actually lean more towards bottom of the line personally. They have fewer bells and whistles so reliability is likely to be better with them.
    Going to middle of the road really means 2 stage equipment, and that's generally a good thing. It will bring you better comfort with longer run times provided it's wired correctly.

Post Likes
    My family is from the bay area and I recently converted my Dad off gas and over to a ductless system. He's VERY happy with it. If you go this route you won't have to worry about your old ductwork. Also the low nox gas furance that you get in CA are VERY unreliable. Do yourself a favor and consider a ductless system.

Post Likes

Thanks

Many thanks for taking the trouble, Dan. Stay safe! David

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post

ZIP _ _ _ _ ?

$0._ _ _ / kw-hr
    $_._ _ _ / Therm Natural Gas

Design Temperature 42.4'F ___ ASHRAE 99.0%

Original Windows
    _ or _ Replaced with Double Pane in 19_ _ or 20 _ _ ?

R-38 Ceiling _ new
    R-3 Walls _ no insulation

R_ ?? Floor

_________ 920 Sq feet, single story
    Perimeter: ~ 36' x 26'

Post Likes
    Great advice, RM, many thanks. Heading that direction for the heater. stay safe, David

Post Likes
    Thanks very much for taking the time, James. Appreciated. best, stay safe, David

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in