Thread: Trane xv18 idle power consumption

Post Likes

Trane xv18 idle power consumption

I have a new 3 ton xv18. When it is sitting idle, there is a 1.5-1.6 amp draw on the unit. This is almost 400W when the unit is off. I know there is a heater for the compressor, but 400W seems excessive. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

Post Likes
    Something is wrong.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    When the system is off, you aren’t getting 240V, you are only getting 120V to the heater, so that would be 192W.
    There could be an issue, so it wouldn’t hurt to call your installer to check things, but it could also be normal.
    Actually, now that I think more, I am mistaken. It still gets the 240. Ignore my post. Sorry.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    10 ton units don’t run 192 watt CCHs.

Maybe Trane does it differently. But all the resi units I see have 240 volt heaters in them getting 240 while the compressor isn’t running.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Seems like all of Trane's CCH are 45 or 65 watt. I wonder if it could be a combination of the heater and fan motor. I have never checked the amps on one of the VS fan motors but I do know when you plug in the molex on those with power on there is quite a spark with the same affect plugging in a disconnect.

Post Likes
    I found the service facts document and it states:
    Sump Heat Control Guidelines
    Sump Heat ON
    -At power up; when outdoor temperature is below 85° F
    -When outdoor temperature is below 80° F and compressor dome temperature is less than the outdoor ambient temperature

Sump Heat OFF
    -When the outdoor temperature goes above 85° F (Sump Heat remains OFF until outdoor temperature drops below 80° F)
    -Anytime the compressor is running
    -For 50 minutes after each compressor run cycle.

Note: Variable Speed systems are designed so that the compressor and sump heat will not run at the same time. Compressor windings
    are used for sump heat. When sump heat is active, line-side current will be approximately 1.5 amps. The CDA MONITOR MENU has
    a field for DRIVE >> DRIVE AMPS which can also be used to verify operation of sump heat.

So it looks like the unit should be pulling 1.5 amps when the sump heater is active (still seems crazy high) It is colder than 80 hear, but it also sounds like the sump heat shouldn't be on for 50 min after the compressor turns off. My unit pulls 1.5amps immediately after the compressor cycles off.

Post Likes
    I dont think its the sump heat. When i go to the CDA monitor, it shows drive amps as 0 (service facts document says this will be pulling amps when the heater is on because the heater uses the compressor windings)
    I am at a loss. Does anyone have access to a xv18 that they can put a amp meter on and check the standby current draw?

Post Likes
    Just a thought, are you sure it is using electricity as in have you clocked the meter? Units used to have a resister on a cap and a single pole contactor. you put an amp clamp on the power wire with out the unit running it would show 1.25-1.5 A however if you clocked the meter it did not change whether you had power to the unit or turned off the breaker.

Post Likes
    Yes, definitely really pulling the power.

Post Likes
    No one else has any thoughts/info on the xv18 idle power consumption?

Post Likes
    Call your service provider and let them look at the unit!

Post Likes
    They said that Trane said this is normal and there will always be a 1-2 A draw on the unit. I just can't wrap my head around why so much. Can someone with access to a xv18 please measure your standby amp draw?

Post Likes
    Try wrapping your head around why a AFCI breaker is pulling amps!