Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Screwdrivers !?!?!? What do you guys use ?

Post Likes

Screwdrivers !?!?!? What do you guys use ?

Hey guys in the market for some new Screwdrivers and Nut drivers. I am going to make another pouch just for service. Primarily a/c and furnaces we also work on wall hung boilers and hot water heaters.

I am just interested in what you guys use. I am primarily a klein guy have been for years but some of there tools have went downhill including there screwdrivers.

I would just like to know what you found works good for you and what holds up well. Any help would be great. thanks in advance guys.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton HVAC View Post
    Hey guys in the market for some new Screwdrivers and Nut drivers. I am going to make another pouch just for service. Primarily a/c and furnaces we also work on wall hung boilers and hot water heaters.

I am just interested in what you guys use. I am primarily a klein guy have been for years but some of there tools have went downhill including there screwdrivers.

I would just like to know what you found works good for you and what holds up well. Any help would be great. thanks in advance guys.
    I’ve been a Klein user for years too. I know what you mean about their quality going down. Their “heavy duty” demo screwdriver broke on the first screw head that I tried to break loose. I didn’t even abuse it, it was literally it’s first use. I had to do the job with a 9-in-one instead. That’s just one of many examples.

I switched to using Wiha screwdrivers and love how well they grip the screws. The handle has a little different feel to it so it takes a bit to get used to but not in a bad way, it actually has a nice feel to it. Plus they are rated to 1000v and much safer to use than the Klein set that I have. The shaft of the drivers seem to be thinner around the working end than some others so it’s easier to get them into terminal slots and holes where screws are tucked far into. For service work I would say this is a solid choice, hard to go wrong.

I haven’t used their nut drivers
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

3. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

5. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No more than a 4-1 for tool pouch, but like single purpose for heavy use. Williams used to be my favorite. Now with all of the buy outs, consolations, and out sourcing not sure. Would stick with USA made for everyday users. The wihas look good.

7. Likes Blake79 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Orange juice and a good quality vodka 👍🏻

Post Likes
    I have not had any problems with Klein. I bought a 7 piece "Journeyman" screwdriver set, used it to remove screws out of a 1950's furnace heat exchanger to take it apart. It has a hex on the shank by the handle you can put a wrench on for more torque. I liked them so well I bought a second set for my back up bag. Told the Klein rep they need to run the shank all the way through on the large screw driver so you can beat on it with no handle damage. He was shocked that one would beat on a screwdriver, go figure.

I have also used the Klein nutdrivers and had good luck with them also. Haven't had to grind the end yet to get back to the part of the socket that is not worn. And I like the rubber handle.

Which reminds me on the screwdrivers mentioned above, they have a great handle to grip, fits the hand well, or mine anyway.

Post Likes
    Wiha and Wera are german made both are good. I have some of each and like them and they hold up well i think for the price. I also have some williams wrenches. and honestly for the price i am satisfied. I will agree they are maybe not what they used to be years ago but for the price they are a quality tool. They are snap ons industrial brand. I think some of there stuff is not USA made anymore but truthfully what is?

Post Likes
    Wiha web site claims American made, wera stated German engineered . Go figure....

I remember working at a utica tool plant , SC, ~1980, they cast, stamped, & filed the tools , then sent the parts overseas for assembly and packaging. Some kind of tax incentives.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I have not had any problems with Klein. I bought a 7 piece "Journeyman" screwdriver set, used it to remove screws out of a 1950's furnace heat exchanger to take it apart. It has a hex on the shank by the handle you can put a wrench on for more torque. I liked them so well I bought a second set for my back up bag. Told the Klein rep they need to run the shank all the way through on the large screw driver so you can beat on it with no handle damage. He was shocked that one would beat on a screwdriver, go figure.

I have also used the Klein nutdrivers and had good luck with them also. Haven't had to grind the end yet to get back to the part of the socket that is not worn. And I like the rubber handle.

Which reminds me on the screwdrivers mentioned above, they have a great handle to grip, fits the hand well, or mine anyway.
    That one with the through shank and metal back plate is the one that broke on me when I used it the first time (not beating on it, never even got the chance to try that, just used it like a normal screwdriver and it couldn’t handle it.) I returned it for the model with the hex bit near the handle, those have been good from my experience.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Does anyone use anything else besides klein tools nut drivers ? i personally do not. I would be open to something different but honestly i have not found anything i liked more. It would be interesting to see if anyone is using anything any different. I personally like the six inch shaft ones that are magnetic. I also buy them because i can not find anything else that i like better. But i also will say that the quality of even their nut drivers has went down hill i think. Some i have are 12 years old and some i bought last year are junk already.

Post Likes
    I use Klien 10" nut drivers. I have 1/4 and 5/16 sizes and they work really well at reaching inside a cramped furnace to remove parts.

Milwaukee just came out with a multiscrewdriver that has a core remover for king valves. It's very usefull and I also keep 2 of them on my bag.

Post Likes
    Screwdrivers are one thing that's hard to live with for me. For insulated I use either Klein or Lenox. I actually like the lenox best, light, slim and very tough. Regular screwdrivers, I mostly use Klein, but am not all that happy with them, it's just finding a good cabinet tip slotted screwdriver is not that easy.
    For nutdrivers, there's not a whole lot to choose from. I want magnetic, and I also need long ones too. So far I've only found Klein and Hilmor. I actully like the Hilmor the best. I usually grind the end of the socket head down just a little so it will hold sheet metal screws with some authority on the Hilmor and they work great. There's a new supply house here and they sell a lot of Hilmor hand tools so I bought a set of long nutdrivers there and have been using them ever since with no complaints. I did look at the new Klein Heavy Duty nutdrivers and they are monsters. If I'm not mistaken Greenlee and Ideal make pretty much the same nutdrivers as Klein.

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ve always like Klein. I don’t care for ergonomic handles though I do have a couple of big foot long kobalt screwdrivers... one is 3/8 and one I filed into a 5/16 for big disconnects and set screws.

Everyday use I just use a Klein six in one. Klein nutdrivers
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Harry/Meghan 2024

Post Likes
    i use Klein too
    During a Hurricane i was bored at home so i started to buy tools online LOL
    i got a pair of swiss made screwdriver brand PBSWISS
    not cheap but possibly the best Philips #2 screwdriver i ever had.
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com

Post Likes
    For everyday work. I’ve found Milwaukee screwdrivers to be quite good, and not too painful to loose. Very ergonomic, and I have yet to break a tip on one.

Klein still my go to for nut drivers, extended versions. But mainly I use a drill with an extension bit anyways.

Klein screwdrivers have gone to shit. The 6 n 1 type are still okay, but Lutz or any give away, or one you find on the road just as good.

Not worth getting snap on or other or real high end screwdrivers for our line of work, unless the company is buying. Too painful to loose, and warranty is a nightmare for anyone the snap on truck does not make rounds to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton HVAC View Post
    Does anyone use anything else besides klein tools nut drivers ? i personally do not. I would be open to something different but honestly i have not found anything i liked more. It would be interesting to see if anyone is using anything any different. I personally like the six inch shaft ones that are magnetic. I also buy them because i can not find anything else that i like better. But i also will say that the quality of even their nut drivers has went down hill i think. Some i have are 12 years old and some i bought last year are junk already.
    I like Hilmore (like their dual headed nut drivers) and Greenlee screwdrivers.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

23. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Malco has a great set

25. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Pull over a MAC tools truck. Expensive yes. Best handles in the business for torque? Yes. Square type plastic handles with amazing texture for getting grip for torque.
    Are the tips the best? No. But unlike snap on, with MAC they replace the whole screwdriver, not just the tip.
    But other than flat heads I really don't use screwdrivers anymore. I buy the Milwaukee 6" long bits for my impact these days
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I like Hilmore (like their dual headed nut drivers) and Greenlee screwdrivers.
    Those are my favorite too. I am currently using Klein and they are not near as tough. The tips just wear too fast.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast