Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 91

Thread: Screwdrivers !?!?!? What do you guys use ?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    14,313
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I do wrap some of my driver shafts with electrical tape to help prevent accidental arcing in tight quarters.
    As for knockouts yes Trane does seem to use heavier gauge metal on their cabinets.
    Take for instance the side return option. Those little triangles are tough. I'll usally get one open enough to get my electric shears in then complete the cutting with them.
    Sometimes I'm bad. I get frustrated with trying to get through the cabinet so I use the plasma cutter on it. The burning insulation is a down side to this method.

  2. Likes R600a liked this post.
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,866
    Post Likes
    How about those new blower housing's doesn't the plastic stink profusely from the sparks ? 😜

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,748
    Post Likes
    Any suggestions for a 3/16 blade round shaft flat blade screwdriver that is made in north America or any country where the workers get paid decent?
    My Hilmor that I recently bought just didn't last like my first one did and I don't want to keep putting more Chinese tools in my bag so it is time to try something else. I value a very hard durable blade.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    14,313
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    How about those new blower housing's doesn't the plastic stink profusely from the sparks ? ��
    No, most of them don't make it through the insulation. Usually the only thing inside the cabinet is little pieced of burnt insulation. I should say my plasma cutter is not very big, potable with a small built in compressor. It will cut 20 Ga but not much heavier so it's not like it is blowing sparks 3' like the big cutters do. I think it is listed for 1/8" but the metal would have to be prefect to do it with a new tip.

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    22,866
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    No, most of them don't make it through the insulation. Usually the only thing inside the cabinet is little pieced of burnt insulation. I should say my plasma cutter is not very big, potable with a small built in compressor. It will cut 20 Ga but not much heavier so it's not like it is blowing sparks 3' like the big cutters do. I think it is listed for 1/8" but the metal would have to be prefect to do it with a new tip.
    Why did I think you were joking ? I've got a 220volt plasma cutter I use for heavy metal but never considered using it for something like this.
    Can a little knowledge be dangerous 🙄

  7. Likes R600a liked this post.
  8. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    52
    Post Likes
    Kinda of sad of how the quality of hand tools have declined. How complicated is it manufacture a decent screwdriver? I'm a pretty good diy kinda guy. I look at the hand tools in my tool chest which easily dates back 20 years, i can easily see the difference esp in Craftsman of tools made in America & ones made in China. Esp in the sockets. The American ones are still shiny, no rust, just better quality etc. The Chinese ones look like they are about 60 years old, pitted, hint of rust, rough quality to them etc.

  9. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sea to Sky
    Posts
    4,999
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Any suggestions for a 3/16 blade round shaft flat blade screwdriver that is made in north America or any country where the workers get paid decent?
    My Hilmor that I recently bought just didn't last like my first one did and I don't want to keep putting more Chinese tools in my bag so it is time to try something else. I value a very hard durable blade.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    Anything Wera. Made in Germany

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  10. Likes thatguy, dieseldude liked this post.
  11. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    14,313
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Why did I think you were joking ? I've got a 220volt plasma cutter I use for heavy metal but never considered using it for something like this.
    Can a little knowledge be dangerous 🙄
    Nope serious as a heart attack. The insulation came off when I pulled it out of the scrap barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  12. Likes R600a, VTP99 liked this post.
  13. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,748
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Anything Wera. Made in Germany

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Are they hard? Someone posted that they were a bit soft. I should probably just try them for myself.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  14. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,748
    Post Likes
    I picked up a Klein to get me by until I can find a weira but I thought the comparison between the Chinese hilmor and the Klein was rather interesting. The Klein is not nearly as nice as the hilmor. The shaft is skinnier and the blade is just generally flimsy looking but it claims to me made in the us. I have a funny feeling that it is not actually made in the US but just the rubber sleeve that slips over the handle is made in the us.
    While I was in there I figured I would replace my last Chinese crescent wrench with an American made one.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  15. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    14,313
    Post Likes
    Here’s my set. I think you can tell which gets abused the most I don’t think they are in bad shape for over 7 years of abuse. If you look close at the photo taken from the end you can see it has a bit of triangular shape for better grip.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  16. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,029
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I picked up a Klein to get me by until I can find a weira but I thought the comparison between the Chinese hilmor and the Klein was rather interesting. The Klein is not nearly as nice as the hilmor. The shaft is skinnier and the blade is just generally flimsy looking but it claims to me made in the us. I have a funny feeling that it is not actually made in the US but just the rubber sleeve that slips over the handle is made in the us.
    While I was in there I figured I would replace my last Chinese crescent wrench with an American made one.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    They are made in the US. They are cheeping out on materials to keep the costs down. Saddly made in the US is no longer a good indicator of quality.
    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

  17. Likes R600a liked this post.
  18. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,748
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    They are made in the US. They are cheeping out on materials to keep the costs down. Saddly made in the US is no longer a good indicator of quality.
    At least I'm supporting someone who makes a somewhat Fair wage.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  19. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    754
    Post Likes
    check out the s-k drivers on zoro. my favorite

  20. #75
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    494
    Post Likes
    i just ordered a Wera flat screwdriver
    i have a pb Swiss philips #2 and i love it
    i will compare both see which one i like betteri love handles of pb swiss
    wera have a different one more ergonomic, will fit nicely in my small hands ??
    Stay tunes lol
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com

  21. #76
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    China
    Posts
    8
    Post Likes
    6pcs, 29.75usd, looks nice

  22. #77
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    494
    Post Likes
    So i got my Wera scredriver today, very nice built quality hopefully will last, time will tell
    but not super impressed by the handle okayish but not great at least to me
    still prefer PB Swiss better
    They are made in Swiss only, Steel is hardened to 60 Rockwell.
    my #2 Philips is 3 year old and still almost perfect
    Ordered another PB Swiss today, i guess i found screwdrivers brand to fall in love with LOL
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com

  23. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    7,748
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    So i got my Wera scredriver today, very nice built quality hopefully will last, time will tell
    but not super impressed by the handle okayish but not great at least to me
    still prefer PB Swiss better
    They are made in Swiss only, Steel is hardened to 60 Rockwell.
    my #2 Philips is 3 year old and still almost perfect
    Ordered another PB Swiss today, i guess i found screwdrivers brand to fall in love with LOL
    Those PB Swiss look amazing. I have never liked the look of the Wera handles.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  24. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,478
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    Today i was trying to disconnect hi voltage wires from a/h the screws was rusted, i guess i applied too much torque and twisted my brand new Klein screwdriver flat tip made in USA.
    Was this the demo screwdriver they sell. I found that one to be exceptionally weak and fragile. I broke the tip on mine with the first screw too. Got warranty on it but don’t trust it to spread butter.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

  25. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,478
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    So i got my Wera scredriver today, very nice built quality hopefully will last, time will tell
    but not super impressed by the handle okayish but not great at least to me
    still prefer PB Swiss better
    They are made in Swiss only, Steel is hardened to 60 Rockwell.
    my #2 Philips is 3 year old and still almost perfect
    Ordered another PB Swiss today, i guess i found screwdrivers brand to fall in love with LOL
    The handles take a little bit to get used to.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •