Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Screwdrivers !?!?!? What do you guys use ?

Post Likes
    I was at Lowe's and saw they had the new Southwire screwdrivers with the straighter plastic handle. The slotted blade driver was absolute junk, too thick, chromed so it was so slick, it wouldn't stay in a screw, and shaped in a pure wedge from stem to stern, what a piece of junk. I couldn't help thinking, if someone set out the design the worst screwdriver blade ever, they couldn't do any better than those.

2. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    but they dont look like a Klein screw driver... how are people supposed to know I dropped a ton of money on my tools if they dont look like a klein!?!

in all seriousness though, how are the grips on them?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I was at Lowe's and saw they had the new Southwire screwdrivers with the straighter plastic handle. The slotted blade driver was absolute junk, too thick, chromed so it was so slick, it wouldn't stay in a screw, and shaped in a pure wedge from stem to stern, what a piece of junk. I couldn't help thinking, if someone set out the design the worst screwdriver blade ever, they couldn't do any better than those.
    I am surprised, I bought 2 pairs of Southwire strippers because their 2 sizes covered every size wire I wanted. Their strippers are pretty nice IMO. I might have to use a little caution before I buy other tools of theirs though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton HVAC View Post
    Hey guys in the market for some new Screwdrivers and Nut drivers. I am going to make another pouch just for service. Primarily a/c and furnaces we also work on wall hung boilers and hot water heaters.

I am just interested in what you guys use. I am primarily a klein guy have been for years but some of there tools have went downhill including there screwdrivers.

I would just like to know what you found works good for you and what holds up well. Any help would be great. thanks in advance guys.
    I like raptor drivers from Ferguson. They are nice and tough. The rubber grips are solid and ergonomic. I'm not super senior tech or anything.. started hvac in 02.. but like knee pads. Hand tools are no place to cut corners cus after you've turned 1000s of screws and cut miles of sheet metal etc etc.. your hands start to wanna not cooperate. I'm only 43 and have arthritis, tendinitis, and bursitis.. sometimes I'll be holding a tool and go to use it and it's not there but I think it is.. (lose grip).. other times my hands just cramp up where I can't use em anymore. It sucks to spend good money on tools only to lose them so I protect my shit with my life.. even still continue to lose em.. besides raptor nut drivers I still rock all kline screw drivers. Hilmors stuff has never let me down either. You know now that I think of it when I was an installer I spent some dough on a big set of Milwaukee drivers.. they were middle of the road cost and just and durable as everything else.. now if your nervous around electric at all you may feel more confident if you had some decent insulated drivers for your service pouch. You still gotta play by the rules but they do give some extra assurance. Green Lee brand insulated drivers are a decent middle of the raod option but the best ones I've seen are wiha.. found on Chinamazon but high dollar still.. then in pliers I'm a knipex man.. best pliers I've ever used. Keep a few sets in NY bag at all times.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Say "I just need a little Freon" one more time!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton HVAC View Post
    Does anyone use anything else besides klein tools nut drivers ? i personally do not. I would be open to something different but honestly i have not found anything i liked more. It would be interesting to see if anyone is using anything any different. I personally like the six inch shaft ones that are magnetic. I also buy them because i can not find anything else that i like better. But i also will say that the quality of even their nut drivers has went down hill i think. Some i have are 12 years old and some i bought last year are junk already.
    Raptor brand from Ferguson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACmedic911 View Post
    I like raptor drivers from Ferguson. They are nice and tough. The rubber grips are solid and ergonomic.
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACmedic911 View Post
    in pliers I'm a knipex man.. best pliers I've ever used. Keep a few sets in NY bag at all times.
    the raptor ones just look like another klein knock off so never gave them a shot. will have to give them another look... I love knipex tools though... i have a few of their channel locks, a set of linemans, and insulated needlenose

8. Likes HVACmedic911 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_ View Post
    the raptor ones just look like another klein knock off so never gave them a shot. will have to give them another look... I love knipex tools though... i have a few of their channel locks, a set of linemans, and insulated needlenose
    Yeah I had the same yellow and red raptors in my everyday bag for 4 years still no issues .. and like i said before the have a really nice feeling handle.. not to mention great grib in the rain. The rubber is actually softer to the touch than the new Klein.. so much better grip. These days a wet Klein screwdriver feels like a Walmart special.. I'm such a nerd .. just realized I got an ultra mega set of cheapo craftsman screw drivers in a veto pouch on my van I hardly use.. but got weird sizes for those weird days.. and also a big set of Lennox hollow nut drivers I thought was gonna be awesome for condenser fan motors.. like 5 or big sizes.. got home opened em up and there's no 7/16 in the set.. I'm like wth.. go from 3/8 to 1/2, 9/16... no 7/16 which is like stupid. I maybe used that set twice in a year lol they just sit there taking up space in another large veto see through pouch.. which by the way I love! Veto all the way!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_ View Post
    but they dont look like a Klein screw driver... how are people supposed to know I dropped a ton of money on my tools if they dont look like a klein!?!

in all seriousness though, how are the grips on them?
    I feel like I can generate more torque with these drivers than anything I have ever used. After I used the first set for a while I bought a second set so if I left my main bag at the shop or job and needed a driver I would not settle for something less.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I feel like I can generate more torque with these drivers than anything I have ever used. After I used the first set for a while I bought a second set so if I left my main bag at the shop or job and needed a driver I would not settle for something less.

Wow, I thought I was ocd, after reviewing the replies, I have very mild symptoms.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I wouldn’t say OCD, just know a good tool that I don’t want to be without. I went through wood handles, plastic, a little bit of everything breaking tips off on a regular basis. Then I found some called the Grip. They had a triangular handle with the straight one yellow and black and the Phillips red and black. They held up well and I could generate a good twist but still had problems some times. Then I got to the point where I needed to replace several and couldn’t find them. That’s when I found the Klein Journeymen. They were better than the grip and I was hooked.

14. Likes R600a, dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My go-to is an inexpensive 6-in-1 that I picked up at the local supply house. It works great for me, and has a better bit reach than the 11-in-1 Klein I have that keeps having tips fall out...

Post Likes
    Today i was trying to disconnect hi voltage wires from a/h the screws was rusted, i guess i applied too much torque and twisted my brand new Klein screwdriver flat tip made in USA.
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    Today i was trying to disconnect hi voltage wires from a/h the screws was rusted, i guess i applied too much torque and twisted my brand new Klein screwdriver flat tip made in USA.
    I just broke my favorite flat blade today too and it was special order.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not to hijack this thread, but is it me or what. Someone mentioned demolition screwdrivers, and I dont like them for HVAC work. I just think someone will grab one and touch a live screw or slip off an open top contractor and get a surprise. I mean I keep a set of demo drivers for home use but thats it. Id rather beat up a good screwdriver than have a helper get zapped.

19. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Not to hijack this thread, but is it me or what. Someone mentioned demolition screwdrivers, and I dont like them for HVAC work. I just think someone will grab one and touch a live screw or slip off an open top contractor and get a surprise. I mean I keep a set of demo drivers for home use but thats it. Id rather beat up a good screwdriver than have a helper get zapped.
    Yeah. I never thought of that but I just don't like them.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Most of my tools are Stanley. Ever since I started out this career.

Post Likes
    Not to hijack this thread, but is it me or what. Someone mentioned demolition screwdrivers, and I don’t like them for HVAC work. I just think someone will grab one and touch a live screw or slip off an open top contractor and get a surprise. I mean I keep a set of demo drivers for home use but that’s it. I’d rather beat up a good screwdriver than have a helper get zapped.
    Not picking on you but just curious. Does this mean all your screwdrivers have a insulating sleeve on the shaft down to the working tip so only the tip is exposed to live terminals?

Post Likes
    Oh no, I use mostly regular screwdrivers. I just wonder about metal all the way thru the handle around electrical jobs.

Post Likes
    Oh no, I use mostly regular screwdrivers. I just wonder about metal all the way thru the handle around electrical jobs.
    Well for the most part you shouldn't be putting a driver on a live circuit but having said that I have lost the tips of many screwdrivers when the shaft accidentally touched another terminal or ground. Just writing that previous post makes me think maybe I should heat shrink the shafts of most of my drivers now, probably should have done it long ago.

When I think of drivers with the shaft through the handle I would use them for removing knockouts, tightening lock nuts, opening duct joints and seams, beating a starter opening for cutting a hole in a duct or using it as a pry bar/temporary shim. You know places generally away from live electrical parts and a driver not much good for screws after used a few times. Trane seems to put a lot of knockouts in their cabinets that are far removed from knock. When you have to drive the tip through the tab left to hold the knockout in place it takes some serious beating to get then broke free.

Post Likes
    I do wrap some of my driver shafts with electrical tape to help prevent accidental arcing in tight quarters.
    As for knockouts yes Trane does seem to use heavier gauge metal on their cabinets.
    Take for instance the side return option. Those little triangles are tough. I'll usally get one open enough to get my electric shears in then complete the cutting with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast