Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Screwdrivers !?!?!? What do you guys use ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    Malco has a great set
    I had one of the 1/16" flat blades and it was great until I lost it.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    Pull over a MAC tools truck. Expensive yes. Best handles in the business for torque? Yes. Square type plastic handles with amazing texture for getting grip for torque.
    Are the tips the best? No. But unlike snap on, with MAC they replace the whole screwdriver, not just the tip.
    But other than flat heads I really don't use screwdrivers anymore. I buy the Milwaukee 6" long bits for my impact these days
    Which brand are they actually? I swear every MAC tool now is just a rebranded version of another manufacturer. Not saying they are not quality because they have good tools, but sometimes you can get the original for cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well mac is owned by stanley. And yeah lots of junk on the mac trucks these days.
    It's been a few years since I've been on a mac truck but the screwdrivers were still the same at that point.
    For every other hand tool except channel lock pliers I don't care for mac. I'll either buy cheap, or get proto, sk or snap on.
    But the screwdrivers rock
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Proto is Stanley as well....

The Proto chisels and punches are nice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Proto is Stanley as well....

The Proto chisels and punches are nice.

I have a stanley ratchet set that I remember having in 10th grade so it is at least 10 years old and the only part that broke was the 3/8 ratchet because I put a 2' pipe over the handle and put my foot on it and hit the end with a 10 lb sledge trying to break a bolt loose. A couple years after I got mine my stepdad went out and spent something like $800 on a fancy set and a socket and extension broke almost immediately. I even use my standard duty stanley sockets with an impact and I have never broke one. They are too the point where the chrome is wearing thin and the copper plating is showing through in places but they still work great.
    Oh and I am so fond of the set that I disassemble the ratchet semiannually to clean and grease it.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I stuck with klein tools as much as possible until loosing them from my van one night. Then I started buying cheaper stuff. I hated using screwdrivers (too slow and hard on wrist).

If possible I always used my Rigid cordless. They come with lifetime warranty if you fill it out and send it in. Mine is too heavy though and perhaps they have smaller/lighter ones. The warranty has replaced 4 triggers and a new outer shell. The shell/drill was so worn out from so many years in the field. I believe they remade the trigger to hold up better, its been probably 7 years since last replaced.
    Nate Certified

Post Likes

Screwdrivers !?!?!? What do you guys use ?

I use Klein. I have quite a few Wiha as well and notice the tips wear unusually fast. Its like there may be less chance of snapping them but they are so soft that the edges and teeth just deform.

Wiha handles suck as well...way too small to feel comfortable to your meat hooks.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I keep a big beater flathead. A long Phillips. Brands dont matter in those two since their seldomly used. 98% of the time I use my Lenox 6in1. Im not a fan of more than 6 functions in a screwdriver cuz Im way too bad about losing the inserts. Back around Christmas I picked up a Klein 32 piece precision set that has all kind of bits all in a magnetic case and I really really like it. Keep it in my glovebox. It has torx bits from 2.5 up to t15. Allen bits and several different security bits. The set has only been out for a few months and for 25$, I think its a sore dick deal, ya cant beat it.

Post Likes
    I usually use a Klein 11-1 for my screw driver. Although a flat blade beater would be handy to keep around too. For a nut driver I usually use the flip blade Klein 5/16 and 1/4 inch, which saves me from carrying two around. My only complaint is that it's a bit short for some of those hard to reach spots. I just ordered one of these Malco CONNEXT handles. I plan on putting the 6" Malco reversible 1/4 and 5/16 bit in there, which would give a little overall length than the Klein 2-1 nut driver.

10. Likes jbhenergy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Klein HVAC 11 n 1

Has nut drivers , tiny little t-stat screwdriver , schrader tool ... etc ...

Post Likes
    I bought this commercial electric 14 in 1 screwdriver yesterday... don’t know why.

Has 3/16,1/4,5/16,3/8,........ no 7/16.... 1/2 inch and 9/16... why they skipped 7/16 is beyond me..

But anyhow... wild hair... it’s in a kitchen drawer now...
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Harry/Meghan 2024

Post Likes
    Wera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Somebody mentioned using a Rigid driver instead of a screwdriver most of the time, and I do that a lot too. I carry a Makita 12V subcompact drill and impact driver in the truck. In my bag, is a Dewalt 8V screwdriver, the kind that you can use straight or bent like a drill. It has served me very well over the last couple years. I keep a Malco dual hex driver in it, and can take apart a package unit is just a couple minutes. It has a clutch, but I hardly use it, just keep it on full torque. It really isn't strong enough to strip out too many screws, but easily strong enough to loosen most things, and if it can't, you simply use it as a wrench without pulling the trigger and it locks up tight. I use it a whole lot more than the Makitas as it's usually with me. Great tool. I also like the subcompact 12V tools, they are light and powerful and I'm not kidding, I can't remember when I charged them the last time, they hold a charge forever, and driving sheet metal screws doesn't seem to drain them much at all.

Post Likes
    I buy these on sale for about $25 once a year or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085NTQJK...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Wera Kraftform Plus 160i/6 Insulated Professional Screwdriver Set, 6-Piece

I also carry this and love it. The Wera set doesn't have a larger flat head.

Klein Demolition Screw Driver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9HIBYA...WM07WFM84ST02K
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    I buy these on sale for about $25 once a year or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085NTQJK...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Wera Kraftform Plus 160i/6 Insulated Professional Screwdriver Set, 6-Piece

I also carry this and love it. The Wera set doesn't have a larger flat head.

Klein Demolition Screw Driver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9HIBYA...WM07WFM84ST02K
    Try Milwaukee.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...3EHand%20Tools

Ive been very pleased. Ive laid waste to many Klein demo screwdrivers. And why buy the same set of screwdrivers every year.

Tips garbage? Ive had the Milwaukee set for a couple years and have beat the piss out of them, and tips are still good. I treat the larger flat head like a demo screw driver and its held up very well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Try Milwaukee.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...3EHand%20Tools

Ive been very pleased. Ive laid waste to many Klein demo screwdrivers. And why buy the same set of screwdrivers every year.

Tips garbage? Ive had the Milwaukee set for a couple years and have beat the piss out of them, and tips are still good. I treat the larger flat head like a demo screw driver and its held up very well.

Lol. I loose them. They are very good.

I'll give the Milwalkees a shot though.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

18. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    can't seem to get away from the Kleins, the lennox drivers look really solid. I really like my malco quickconnex 1/4 hex locking bit driver. You can get impact style notched bits that are slimmer profile to get into more narrow openings and the bits don't pull out because they're locked in the handle which is nice.

Post Likes
    Every black Friday I hit Home Depot for 2 sets of Milwaukee screwdrivers and by the following Black Friday it's time for 2 new sets My help seems to loose, bend or break them. As for nut drivers it's Klein all the way, I like the 10" with magnet because they hold up well and the longer shank makes a good handle as I use the grip to beat ice off of accumulators and ac ends

21. Likes ryantrials liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by browningv308 View Post
    Every black Friday I hit Home Depot for 2 sets of Milwaukee screwdrivers and by the following Black Friday it's time for 2 new sets My help seems to loose, bend or break them. As for nut drivers it's Klein all the way, I like the 10" with magnet because they hold up well and the longer shank makes a good handle as I use the grip to beat ice off of accumulators and ac ends
    Yes on klein nutdrivers, haven't really found anything else I like, also crimp tool and strippers. ALSO the klein small control style screwdriver is SO nice to use.

Post Likes
    Klein and Greenlee are my favorites. Klein had a dip in quality about ten years ago which caused me to switch to Greenlee for a while but they've gotten that solved for a while now and both are about equal these days.

I also like the Lennox 6 in 1. It seems to be a pretty tough tool at half the price of the Klein.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast