+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meter leads

Post Likes

Meter leads

I have a Redfish (Supco) iDVM550, and the leads that came with it are pretty sad and clunky. Not silicon flexible, and the screw on clamps are clunky and hard to use. The FP leads would be ok, but not really storeable with the 90° clips on.

Any suggestions for leads that are silicon, have good screw on and easy to use alligator clips? Pic shows original leads.

20210224_153712.jpg

Post Likes
    I bought a Fluke set for my BK. They were as expected but the alligator clips were like you said. A tad clunky.
    Might be "State of the art" kind of thing.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

3. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I keep hearing that the leads from Softie are the bees knees. Have yet to try them so I'm not vouching for them, but might be worth a look.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZFC06KVD&psc=1

5. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I bought a Fluke set for my BK. They were as expected but the alligator clips were like you said. A tad clunky.
    Might be "State of the art" kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanB View Post
    I keep hearing that the leads from Softie are the bees knees. Have yet to try them so I'm not vouching for them, but might be worth a look.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZFC06KVD&psc=1
    I can live with a 'tad' clunky, albeit subjective. I can't tell fro the pictures regarding the 'Sofities', but they're a bit on the outrageously expensive side. I'd have to have them in my hands to make a decision. I'm in no hurry...I have plenty of lead sets. I guess I'll ask around locally and get a first hand look.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    I have a Redfish (Supco) iDVM550, and the leads that came with it are pretty sad and clunky. Not silicon flexible, and the screw on clamps are clunky and hard to use. The FP leads would be ok, but not really storeable with the 90° clips on.

Any suggestions for leads that are silicon, have good screw on and easy to use alligator clips? Pic shows original leads.

20210224_153712.jpg
    I use an UEI meter with Fieldpiece leads. I am happy with this setup.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I use an UEI meter with Fieldpiece leads. I am happy with this setup.
    I really like the fieldpiece silicone meter leads they are very nice and not expensive although if I worked over 400v I would probably buy fluke.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I generally use that meter with the alligator clips. I have 2 or 3 of the FP ADK7 lead kits. The problem is the 90° banana plugs. An alligator clip with a straight banana plug style end would suit me. One with no lead.

I did run across these and decided to gamble. Cheap enough, got good reviews. We'll see what the quality is. The alligators fit the way I'd like them too...banana plug onto the lead. Quality alligator tips that fit like these would serve my purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post Likes
    I use these https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...ds/fluke-tl175

actually using them on my testo meter, stole them from the fluke definitely worth it, the twist thing can be annoying but when you need it it's awesome.

12. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Courious what everyones opinion on the supco meter was?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swf View Post
    Courious what everyones opinion on the supco meter was?
    Limited in some ways, but I use it exclusively with MQ, for which it works seamlessly. Set the dial to KW, and it imports the real-time values along with power factor. Also, compressor amps, L1 & L2 voltage. If your using MQ, it's the meter to have. My daily driver is an FP SC 260. It clamos to my toolbag and is a manageable size (plus has a magnet strap, which the Redfish meter lacks)

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Limited in some ways, but I use it exclusively with MQ, for which it works seamlessly. Set the dial to KW, and it imports the real-time values along with power factor. Also, compressor amps, L1 & L2 voltage. If your using MQ, it's the meter to have. My daily driver is an FP SC 260. It clamos to my toolbag and is a manageable size (plus has a magnet strap, which the Redfish meter lacks)
    I have the exact same meters for the exact same reasons.
    And I use Fieldpiece silicone leads on both of them.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I have the exact same meters for the exact same reasons.
    And I use Fieldpiece silicone leads on both of them.
    I have and use the FP leads too (have several sets). But I'm really looking for something similar to the redfish leads, but silicon and with alligator clips that attach to the lead 'handles' via banana plugs. In addition to being cumbersome, I find myself constantly tightening the A clips. I'm picky about my tools.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have and use the FP leads too (have several sets). But I'm really looking for something similar to the redfish leads, but silicon and with alligator clips that attach to the lead 'handles' via banana plugs. In addition to being cumbersome, I find myself constantly tightening the A clips. I'm picky about my tools.
    Do you have the field piece set that comes with alligator clips and molex probes?

Post Likes
    Do you have the field piece set that comes with alligator clips and molex probes?

Yes. The A clips are on the end of a short lead and the connectors are at a 90° angle. Unless they've come out with another set.

Post Likes
    Yes. The A clips are on the end of a short lead and the connectors are at a 90° angle. Unless they've come out with another set.
    Yeah that 90° bend drives me nuts. Every time I use them I think what were they thinking?

22. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah that 90° bend drives me nuts. Every time I use them I think what were they thinking?

And what are they continuing to think? I see no valid use for those, at least not for my purposes. I use them (not on the Redfish), but they're not very practical.

Post Likes
    And what are they continuing to think? I see no valid use for those, at least not for my purposes. I use them (not on the Redfish), but they're not very practical.
    I plug them into the end of the leads and they work but the 90 annoys me. I usually only use one clip so that I can free up one hand.

Post Likes
    Last week, I ordered and received my Fluke leads (TL175) and alligator clips (AC175). They are exactly what I needed and great quality. They set me back close to $75, but it was worth it to get what I needed.

The alligator clips fit tightly and make it easy to grab terminals and spade clips. The leads are as tangle free as it gets.

Post Likes
    Last week, I ordered and received my Fluke leads (TL175) and alligator clips (AC175). They are exactly what I needed and great quality. They set me back close to $75, but it was worth it to get what I needed.

The alligator clips fit tightly and make it easy to grab terminals and spade clips. The leads are as tangle free as it gets.
    Sounds similar to the Field Piece ones I get.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

27. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Sounds similar to the Field Piece ones I get.
    I like the FP leads (and have several pair in use for various meters), but the 90° angle on the alligator clips killed the deal for my iDVM550.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in