Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Meter leads

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes

    Meter leads

    I have a Redfish (Supco) iDVM550, and the leads that came with it are pretty sad and clunky. Not silicon flexible, and the screw on clamps are clunky and hard to use. The FP leads would be ok, but not really storeable with the 90 clips on.

    Any suggestions for leads that are silicon, have good screw on and easy to use alligator clips? Pic shows original leads.

    20210224_153712.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    10,409
    Post Likes
    I bought a Fluke set for my BK. They were as expected but the alligator clips were like you said. A tad clunky.
    Might be "State of the art" kind of thing.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  3. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    117
    Post Likes
    I keep hearing that the leads from Softie are the bees knees. Have yet to try them so I'm not vouching for them, but might be worth a look.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZFC06KVD&psc=1

  5. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I bought a Fluke set for my BK. They were as expected but the alligator clips were like you said. A tad clunky.
    Might be "State of the art" kind of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanB View Post
    I keep hearing that the leads from Softie are the bees knees. Have yet to try them so I'm not vouching for them, but might be worth a look.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZFC06KVD&psc=1
    I can live with a 'tad' clunky, albeit subjective. I can't tell fro the pictures regarding the 'Sofities', but they're a bit on the outrageously expensive side. I'd have to have them in my hands to make a decision. I'm in no hurry...I have plenty of lead sets. I guess I'll ask around locally and get a first hand look.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    3,370
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    I have a Redfish (Supco) iDVM550, and the leads that came with it are pretty sad and clunky. Not silicon flexible, and the screw on clamps are clunky and hard to use. The FP leads would be ok, but not really storeable with the 90 clips on.

    Any suggestions for leads that are silicon, have good screw on and easy to use alligator clips? Pic shows original leads.

    20210224_153712.jpg
    I use an UEI meter with Fieldpiece leads. I am happy with this setup.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  8. Likes R600a liked this post.
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    6,307
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I use an UEI meter with Fieldpiece leads. I am happy with this setup.
    I really like the fieldpiece silicone meter leads they are very nice and not expensive although if I worked over 400v I would probably buy fluke.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  10. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I generally use that meter with the alligator clips. I have 2 or 3 of the FP ADK7 lead kits. The problem is the 90 banana plugs. An alligator clip with a straight banana plug style end would suit me. One with no lead.

    I did run across these and decided to gamble. Cheap enough, got good reviews. We'll see what the quality is. The alligators fit the way I'd like them too...banana plug onto the lead. Quality alligator tips that fit like these would serve my purposes.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Northern MI
    Posts
    16
    Post Likes
    I use these https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...ds/fluke-tl175

    actually using them on my testo meter, stole them from the fluke definitely worth it, the twist thing can be annoying but when you need it it's awesome.

  12. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    East ohio area
    Posts
    19
    Post Likes
    Courious what everyones opinion on the supco meter was?

  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Swf View Post
    Courious what everyones opinion on the supco meter was?
    Limited in some ways, but I use it exclusively with MQ, for which it works seamlessly. Set the dial to KW, and it imports the real-time values along with power factor. Also, compressor amps, L1 & L2 voltage. If your using MQ, it's the meter to have. My daily driver is an FP SC 260. It clamos to my toolbag and is a manageable size (plus has a magnet strap, which the Redfish meter lacks)

  15. Likes R600a liked this post.
  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    6,307
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Limited in some ways, but I use it exclusively with MQ, for which it works seamlessly. Set the dial to KW, and it imports the real-time values along with power factor. Also, compressor amps, L1 & L2 voltage. If your using MQ, it's the meter to have. My daily driver is an FP SC 260. It clamos to my toolbag and is a manageable size (plus has a magnet strap, which the Redfish meter lacks)
    I have the exact same meters for the exact same reasons.
    And I use Fieldpiece silicone leads on both of them.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I have the exact same meters for the exact same reasons.
    And I use Fieldpiece silicone leads on both of them.
    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    I have and use the FP leads too (have several sets). But I'm really looking for something similar to the redfish leads, but silicon and with alligator clips that attach to the lead 'handles' via banana plugs. In addition to being cumbersome, I find myself constantly tightening the A clips. I'm picky about my tools.

  18. Likes R600a liked this post.
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    6,307
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    I have and use the FP leads too (have several sets). But I'm really looking for something similar to the redfish leads, but silicon and with alligator clips that attach to the lead 'handles' via banana plugs. In addition to being cumbersome, I find myself constantly tightening the A clips. I'm picky about my tools.
    Do you have the field piece set that comes with alligator clips and molex probes?

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  20. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Do you have the field piece set that comes with alligator clips and molex probes?

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    Yes. The A clips are on the end of a short lead and the connectors are at a 90 angle. Unless they've come out with another set.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    6,307
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    Yes. The A clips are on the end of a short lead and the connectors are at a 90 angle. Unless they've come out with another set.
    Yeah that 90 bend drives me nuts. Every time I use them I think what were they thinking?

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  22. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
  23. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    17,533
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Yeah that 90 bend drives me nuts. Every time I use them I think what were they thinking?

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    And what are they continuing to think? I see no valid use for those, at least not for my purposes. I use them (not on the Redfish), but they're not very practical.

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    6,307
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    And what are they continuing to think? I see no valid use for those, at least not for my purposes. I use them (not on the Redfish), but they're not very practical.
    I plug them into the end of the leads and they work but the 90 annoys me. I usually only use one clip so that I can free up one hand.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •