Thread: Need rough sizing for metal building

Post Likes

Need rough sizing for metal building

Looking for a little advice for HVAC sizing as online tools are mostly for houses, not metal buildings. Talked to a couple of local pros and they do not seem to be asking enough questions to properly size things.

20' x 30' metal building on concrete slab. 12' high plus ~3' peak on the 20' side
    Walls and ceiling were sprayed with 2" closed-cell spray foam so call it R12 with minimal infiltration.
    20' side faces almost due north (353 degrees) and has a roll up 10'x8' bay door (not insulated) and 18"W x 36"H window above it.
    30' side facing east has uninsulated 36"W x 80"H walk in door.
    Other two sides are unbroken.
    Some trees on west side provide afternoon shade.
    Roof is slate blue, sides are tan.

It's a workshop, not living space so was thinking of a heating and cooling mini-split that would keep humidity down and eliminate the temperature extremes all year yet be able to cool to ~80 in the high summer and heat to ~65 on the coldest days. Cooling is much more of a concern as we have more hot days than cold.

Post Likes

Initial Thought

Quote Originally Posted by dansohvac View Post

Looking for a little advice for HVAC sizing as online tools are mostly for houses, not metal buildings.

Talked to a couple of local pros and
    they do not seem to be asking enough questions to properly size things.

20' x 30' metal building on concrete slab.
    12' high plus ~3' peak on the 20' side

Walls and ceiling were sprayed with 2" closed-cell spray foam so call it R12 with minimal infiltration.

20' side faces almost due north (353 degrees) and has a roll up 10'x8' bay door (not insulated) and 18"W x 36"H window above it.

30' side facing east has uninsulated 36"W x 80"H walk in door.
    Other two sides are unbroken.
    Some trees on west side provide afternoon shade.
    Roof is slate blue, sides are tan.

It's a workshop, not living space so was thinking of a heating and cooling mini-split
    that would keep humidity down and eliminate the temperature extremes all year

yet be able to cool to ~80 in the high summer and
    heat to ~65'F on the Coldest days.

Cooling is much more of a concern
    as we have more hot days than cold.
    As requested, ONLY
    ... a little advice for HVAC Sizing
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    This is great, thank you! I had to go look up some of the terms but it looks like 18K-24K will work well. I can now talk to a local installer and tell him what size unit I need. And I'm not calling the guy who recommended a 3.5 ton unit.

Post Likes
    This is great, thank you! I had to go look up some of the terms but it looks like 18K-24K will work well. I can now talk to a local installer and tell him what size unit I need. And I'm not calling the guy who recommended a 3.5 ton unit.
    I would still ask for there recommendations and how they got them.

Post Likes
    That will be quite-a-trick telling the contractor what size is required.

What is the S.H.R. ?

Did you Check the Manual J which I perform in a few minutes?
    Did you complete the ACCA Manual S?

What is the heat pump Thermal Balance Point ?

What is the heat pump Economic Balance Point ?

What is the advantage of heat pump use ?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    What kind of lights will it have? How many lights?

What kind of work shop?

What kind of equipment will be running in it?

Will any of the equipment have an exhaust system? If so, you need to know how much air is exhausted, so you know how much is brought in that will add to heating and cooling load.

How many people will be working in it.

Will large amounts of material be brought into building at one time? If so, this will add to cooling and heating load.

Post Likes
    Go with the 3.5 ton, hopefully the daikin sky air with the suspended ceiling unit. If that's the system, that guy was right.

The system will give you the capacity to recover quickly. It also has good access for cleaning the fan motor and both sides of the evaporator coil. It also has a turn down of 14%, giving just under 6000 btu capacity in low stage. It also has the fan motor designed to push across 30'.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post

Go with the 3.5 ton, hopefully the daikin sky air with the suspended ceiling unit.
    If that's the system, that guy was right.

The system will give you the capacity to recover quickly.

It also has good access for cleaning the fan motor and both sides of the evaporator coil.
    It also has a turn down of 14%, giving just under 6000 btu capacity in low stage.
    It also has the fan motor designed to push across 30'.
    Ability to recover quickly is DEFINITELY NOT the objective.

Operation should be set-up from ~ early April to mid October to maintain < 57% Relative Humidity.
    ________________________________ 6 + months _________
    _________________________ See CDD65 at bottom of the Greenwood County AP data provided.

OPERATION
    .. AWAY _ 82'F
    .. WORK _ 78'F _ Adjust T-Stat ~ 3 hours prior to Workshop activity

__________ KEEP IT SIMPLE _____

Post Likes
    ... ONE Possibile Heat Pump System ___
    ___ Low Stage
    17,100 BTU/HR at 95'F ODT __ 80'F / 63'F Inside __ 0.93 kw

__ High Stage
    22,600 BTU/HR at 95'F ODT __ 80'F / 63'F Inside __ 1.64 kw

https://www.amana-hac.com/pdfviewer.....pdf?view=true

Post Likes
    Imo, In a shop or garage, recovery and occasional use should be factored.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post

Imo,
    In a shop or garage,
    recovery and occasional use should be factored.
    A personalized, well thought out plan input into a simple Programmable Thermostat
    ought to be sufficient in the Majority of applications.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    A personalized, well thought out plan input into a simple Programmable Thermostat
    ought to be sufficient in the Majority of applications.
    That works on fixed time of use shops and garages. But not on ones that aren't used on a regular schedule.

Post Likes
    Based on info here, I was thinking about a Daikin mini split like the 24,000 BTU LV series FTXS24LVJU / RXS24LVJU. If I have the WiFi option added, I can flip it on from inside the house.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in