Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daiken inverter system vs trane/American standard variable speed compressor systems?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kvfr800 View Post
    I was aware of they would swap the outside unit, but not the thermostat warranty thanks.

https://cdn-dominionenergy-prd-001.a...11eade9682d0b4
    After thinking about it a bit depending in the price difference I’ll probably get the Trane XR17 dual stage, maybe the XL18i. Any recommendations for pairing the air handler for the xr17?

As far as I know my attic flex ducts are original to the house.

Is the metal ducting cleaner and better Over flex duct?thanks guys.. this is getting a bit overwhelming everyone says the installation contractor is as important as the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Metal certainly it will cost more IMO, as it’s more labor intense to install, also need to insulate by hand. As they say, time is money. Read up on both types.

Both of those Trane models can reach up to 18 SEER ( on paper, not real world ) others here can tell you which Air Handler to match, I don’t carry that brand, so I’m not the best person to ask. Just make sure to get a AHRI rated system as you will need the AHRI number for rebates, and possibly the Federal Tax Credit. Reading the warranty card also says to get the full manufacturers warranty both sections need to be replaced at the same time and be a AHRI match.

The XL18i says the compressor is warrantied for 12 years, 10 years parts and coil. The XR 17 says the basic 10/10 compressor and parts, coil once registered to original owner.

No inverter? as that’s what you where leaning toward. The Two stage certainly should be cheaper upfront cost, probably a less complicated system also.

Register your system of choice as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 02-28-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Metal certainly it will cost more IMO, as it’s more labor intense to install, also need to insulate by hand. As they say, time is money. Read up on both types.

Both of those Trane models can reach up to 18 SEER ( on paper, not real world ) others here can tell you which Air Handler to match, I don’t carry that brand, so I’m not the best person to ask. Just make sure to get a AHRI rated system as you will need the AHRI number for rebates, and possibly the Federal Tax Credit. Reading the warranty card also says to get the full manufacturers warranty both sections need to be replaced at the same time and be a AHRI match.

The XL18i says the compressor is warrantied for 12 years, 10 years parts and coil. The XR 17 says the basic 10/10 compressor and parts, coil once registered to original owner.

No inverter? as that’s what you where leaning toward. The Two stage certainly should be cheaper upfront cost, probably a less complicated system also.

Register your system of choice as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.
    No inverter for simplicity. Less stuff to break. Cheaper repair costs when warranty is over.

Air handlers.. I have a variable speed unit now, but when it comes to reliability, is one more reliable than another?

When you do the numbers the “Juice doesn’t appear to be worth the squeeze.”
    The daikin contractor when asked just said I don’t recommend dual fuel as we have gas at our property the would be cheaper on those cold nights..

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=2kvfr800;26011889]No inverter for simplicity. Less stuff to break. Cheaper repair costs when warranty is over. Thinking that may be a good decision long term, if system is installed and started and set up correctly, with correct sized ducts.

“Air handlers.. I have a variable speed unit now, but when it comes to reliability, is one more reliable than another?”

Thinking motors are pretty much made in 2nd world countries nowadays, Mexico, India, China ( with money ) to name a few etc. Probably getting the static pressures checked to make sure it fall within manufacturers guidelines will help more than brand of motor?

You wouldn’t believe how little any one HVAC manufacturer actually makes. Outdoor unit, as an example, the painted sheetmetal case, base, and coil, thinking for the most part that’s it. Air Handlers are the same, painted sheetmetal box and coil, the rest for the most part outsourced.

Then add the complete HVAC system, the biggest part that’s outsourced is the ductwork and all the registers. For the most part the thermostat are rebadged or built to their specifications from a major thermostat manufacturer. All the high and low voltage wiring is outsourced. Lineset, refrigerant, motors, fan blades, capacitors, relays, circuit boards, service valves, The list goes on and on.

Funny how people blame the manufacturers when a part that they don’t even actually make fails.

When you do the numbers the “Juice doesn’t appear to be worth the squeeze.” Hey,...that’s a good line, I’ll have to try to remember that line.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 02-28-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Post Likes
    Is a tem6 air handler the most efficient air handler for a XL17 or XL18i in regards to retaining the highest seer rating capable of both units?
    The quote I received today for paired the following trane equipment.
    Cond M# 4TWR7036B1000
    AH M# TEM6A0C36H31S

Post Likes
    Says 17 SEER, 12.50 EER, 9.60 HSPF your active AHRI number is 7599443. Shouldn’t the bidding Contractor have given you these numbers and ratings? Those ratings are not real world, but you should be able to get any rebates that your local utility company may offer and the Federal Tax Credits.

To view Certificate: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...znxCFNAi8fJHHj

That AHRI number shows your outdoor Heat Pump is a XR17

Your asking about the XL17 ( which I don’t see that they make that line, a XL16i yes ) and XL18i in previous post, but the 4TWR7 they quoted shows a completely different model, a 2 stage system that can reach up to a SEER of 17.25 and 9.60 HSPF so it looks like your pretty much maxed out on that model innSEER and HSPF. Seems like impressive numbers on paper thou.

Reading it the XR17 comes with a 10 year compressor warranty once registered to original owner. Parts and coil 10 years.

It’s more of a Heat Pump model number ( 4TWR7 ) than a Cond. model number.

Info on that model dated 2020 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LI7fKwZv8EZ-8i
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kvfr800 View Post
    Is a tem6 air handler the most efficient air handler for a XL17 or XL18i in regards to retaining the highest seer rating capable of both units?
    The quote I received today for paired the following trane equipment.
    Cond M# 4TWR7036B1000
    AH M# TEM6A0C36H31S

I would have to look but the TAM9 is supposed to be a better unit but it costs more, better insulated cabinet, EEV instead of TXV, and possibly a bigger coil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12