Thread: Furnaces water broke

Post Likes

Furnaces water broke

End of a long cold day here in Minnesota when I arrived to this customer. Customer is a small Muslim grocery. Pressure switch fault was the issue. Checked everything in the furnace and checked terminations outside, the. I heard gurgling.

Return back to the dungeon of a basement to find random joints on the exhaust leaking.
    Found where the pipe was trapping condensate. I cut the strap and had what seemed like gallons falling from every leak point.

I investigated the tape thinking it was just covering up a whole from a combustion analysis originally. Nope, the tape was a coupling. I also was able to pull apart 3 other joints that were not primed or glued. Also note on the 2” there is high temp silicone.

After a trip to Home Depot for materials I polished a turd with new exhaust pipe nears the furnace.

Name:  29DAD982-11E6-4B77-BE7B-621158449B38.jpeg
Views: 934
Size:  109.7 KBName:  D9FBAB0A-E55C-42AC-86E6-2E723D14E47A.jpeg
Views: 932
Size:  94.4 KBName:  A1525347-E8D1-4E0D-AC9B-D260CEEE07F1.jpeg
Views: 930
Size:  59.5 KBName:  5C92B4BB-FC3F-4B2F-B6B4-6E7BF2B2944B.jpeg
Views: 924
Size:  86.8 KB

Post Likes
    Is that your pressure gauge in the unit?
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    Is that your pressure gauge in the unit?
    Inside the furnace yeah that’s my magnehelic. Which that is another issue I found only 3” going to the furnace when it’s running.

Post Likes
    I truly believe people are so stupid and they think that since it’s not a pressure pipe it doesn’t have to be glued. I find em just stuck together all the time.

Post Likes
    Is there a union inside the furnace ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Is there a union inside the furnace ?
    Yes there is.

Post Likes
    The good old "foil tape coupling." I've found them too often to be surprised any more.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    The good old "foil tape coupling." I've found them too often to be surprised any more.
    Yeah I’ve never seen it around these parts. I think this thing was in someone’s garage and then he hooked it up for this customer. There was still scrap sheet metal and some scrap csst lying on the floor.