+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Direct vent fireplace smell on startup if pilot had been on

Post Likes

Direct vent fireplace smell on startup if pilot had been on

Hi HVAC-Talkers -

I have a 20 year old direct vent gas fireplace. When I turn it on after it hasn't been used for a few days it kicks out a terrible smell for the first 20-30 minutes. It's not a rotten egg gas smell - it's acrid, really strong and permeates the house. I've heard others describe a smell of burning metal from a fireplace - that could be it.

After a ton of experimenting I discovered that if I turn off the pilot when the fireplace isn't use, the smell doesn't happen. The longer the pilot is running between uses, the stronger the smell.

I've done a ton of Googling and have found only one similar report but no solution. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on here and if there's any action that I can take short of always turning off the pilot?

Thanks
    - Mike

Post Likes
    You need a qualified tech to inspect and service it. You can clean the unit using a citrus-based solvent cleaner. If the glass seal is gone, you could be smelling aldehydes, which accompany carbon monoxide, which is why its so important to get a qualified tech in there.

3. Likes gasguyinflorida liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kow22 View Post
    Hi HVAC-Talkers -

I have a 20 year old direct vent gas fireplace. When I turn it on after it hasn't been used for a few days it kicks out a terrible smell for the first 20-30 minutes. It's not a rotten egg gas smell - it's acrid, really strong and permeates the house. I've heard others describe a smell of burning metal from a fireplace - that could be it.

After a ton of experimenting I discovered that if I turn off the pilot when the fireplace isn't use, the smell doesn't happen. The longer the pilot is running between uses, the stronger the smell.

I've done a ton of Googling and have found only one similar report but no solution. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going on here and if there's any action that I can take short of always turning off the pilot?

Thanks
    - Mike

Google is not a friend for something like this.

Get it professionally serviced. 20 years has been a good run, might want to consider replacing.

5. Likes gasguyinflorida liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a service out last year to diagnose the smell - they cleaned the fireplace but that didn't help with the smell. They were reluctant to try to diagnose further - it was frustrating. I'll find another service and hope for better results. Thanks again

7. Likes gasguyinflorida liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kow22 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a service out last year to diagnose the smell - they cleaned the fireplace but that didn't help with the smell. They were reluctant to try to diagnose further - it was frustrating. I'll find another service and hope for better results. Thanks again
    Fireplaces are a special area of our trade. Difficult to get good techs on furnaces and boilers even harder on a small market like fireplaces. It might just be time to replace!

9. Likes gasguyinflorida liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Call tech for sure

11. Likes gasguyinflorida liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in