Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mitigate dust?

Post Likes
    I'm sorry, but air filters for HVAC systems are sold as air purifiers. While their main function is keeping ducts clean, they advertise themselves as removing all kinds of nasty stuff. You buy high MERV not to keep your ducts really clean, but to remove pollen, mold spores, and dust mites.
    Also, as others have noted, no reason to believe this dust is coming from the outside.

Post Likes
    Do you have enough return ducts?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    No return ducts. Air enters the HVAC system through slots/vents at its base. Goes through those, and is pulled up through the filter, and into the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lassiter View Post
    I'm sorry, but air filters for HVAC systems are sold as air purifiers. While their main function is keeping ducts clean, they advertise themselves as removing all kinds of nasty stuff. You buy high MERV not to keep your ducts really clean, but to remove pollen, mold spores, and dust mites.
    Also, as others have noted, no reason to believe this dust is coming from the outside.
    And it must be true because I read it on the web! Really. Put in a merv 13 filter and destroy your heat exchanger or freeze the evaporator coil. Your system needs to be capable of handling the restrictive air filter and its probably not!

Post Likes
    Aprilair 5000

It's a MERV 16 and you only service annually.

I quit installing EAC's as the H/O usually would not maintain them. If someone had sever allergys, I'd put a Deep pleated filter in front of an EAC. Again, annual service.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12