Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for backup meter

Post Likes
    I'd like to stick up for FP also. I've been using their higher end clamp meters daily for years. They have been flawless.

But our newer guys in the field have been buying the lower end clamp meters and have had a many problems. They don't seem to last. The SC260 I think?

Post Likes
    I’m not a Fieldpiece hater either and have the manometer and like it a lot. Have Fieldpiece scales I like a lot and their micron gauge that I’ve had a couple issues with but nothin that was a big deal. The meters I had was a sc53 I think and a sc56 I believe and don’t remember the third. Not 100% that those models are correct since it’s been awhile.

Post Likes
    I have a half dozen FP meters. Have been using them for 15 plus years. Won't trust anything else other then a Fluke. In my view you can't go wrong. ( Yes, anything made by man can fail.) I trust my work with Fieldpiece.

Post Likes
    OK, I'm going to say a few things here about meters that may fly in the face of what's been said. Over the last six or so years, I've had several different meters, of different brands. You see, my whole family were electricians. My brother, the total Fluke guy, has several great DMM's from fluke, and has had a ton over his career. I'm the only one in the family who also does HVAC work, which is my focus, more so than any just straight electrical work. I bought an SC640 more than six years ago. I liked the meter, but couldn't stand the size, so I sold it and bought an SC440, which I'm still using today, with narry a problem. Along the way, I've had Klein, Amprobe, UEI, and maybe one or two others. You see I'm a guy who constantly testing things, (I also used to work in a lab, that whetting my testing nature). They all worked in some fashion or another. As a backup to my SC440, I've had probably a dozen other FP clamps, even identical 440's. I have two 440's right now. I've had SC2XX meters, SC4XX meters, one SC480, along they way. I never one time had one I had any doubt about. Not saying anything about others having troubles, certainly no disrespect there. My brother has access, to a Fluke calibrator and I've checked most all of my FP and Amprobe meters against it and his fluke meters and there was never any real difference to concern anyone, and they remain consistent from checks over time. I think I've had enough of them to make a good comparison. I also am friends with at least a dozen technicians who use FP clamps everyday, and when this came up a long time ago, I asked if they'd ever had a problem, not a single one had. I am good friends with a teacher at the local trade school who teaches HVAC and he supplies them to his students, there again no problems. His only comment was he didn't like the leads, personal preference, but loved the meters. Now I've said on here before, that I have an Amprobe ACD-52-NAV which I love, and won't sell too, but when I head out the door to work on anything, I almost always have the original 440 with me.
    Now, having said that. IF i had a problem with any of the FP meters, I'd call FP and discuss it. I have dealt with Russell Harju on a few occasions, and he is one fine gentleman. I'm not any kind of schill for FP, just a user. I've also talked with two or three of the guys who answer the phone when you have problems, when they first released the 380 manifold and wireless probes. Most of the problems were me not understanding how they were setup, and one was a programming mistake when the wireless probes were released, which was quickly remedied. I can't imagine those guys wouldn't take care of you if you had a problem. I was at a supply house trade day, and was talking with a FP rep about some sort of gripe I had, can't even remember. Didn't think much of it, or that it really even mattered that much. A couple days later I got an email and a call, to ask some questions about my concern, and if I would help resolve it. Pretty cool that they listen.
    All this is to say, I have complete faith in their meters, and have for several years, and I think over a number of meters to actually make a educated opinion. Are they the best made, I dunno, that's debatable, and highly individual. I don't doubt for a minute, that there are tools out there with problems, but I'm pretty sure, they're statistically few and that they would take care of them in short order. As I said, I have total respect for those having troubles, and if anyone reports having continual problems, then I'd be concerned, but so far so good for me. I'm open minded though, and don't take things from what I hear, but what I see and use.
    I also know that choosing tools, and especially a meter, is a highly personal and surprisingly controversial decision. Some people get very adversarial over their decisions. I say try em out and find the one you like, trust and can live with and go for it.
    Last edited by channellxbob; 01-31-2021 at 01:54 PM.

5. Likes Chopchop liked this post.
    Post Likes
    ^^^^See I told ya there’s folks here that have great luck out of them. None of us are right and none are wrong. Just personal preferences.

Post Likes
    Funny, the OP didn't even ask about Fieldpiece. Fieldpiece has decent customer service which is good because they seem to need it more. Even the plastic they use seems cheap on many of their tools, it is brittle. I thought there was a thread on Fieldpiece.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    At the end of his post he did mention the 440. But said he wasn’t a fan of them. This is the way most meter threads end up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Nice! I really like my 87V. It’s irritating that it doesn’t have a low z mode. Then it would be the perfect meter!
    I'm surprised they didn't put it in the 87V Max

10. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My 87v I just got from a pawn shop has loz mode. Is it just old ones that didn’t?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    My 87v I just got from a pawn shop has loz mode. Is it just old ones that didn’t?
    lo That's a low pass filter for freak drives not loz for ghost voltage.

Post Likes

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I see. I thought the low pass was just made into it without pushing anything and thought pushing that button went into loz. Thanks for clarification.

Post Likes
    My fieldpiece has made it with me for like 10 years, and I'm rough on tools.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    I myself have had quite a few meters, over the years I've had less trouble from fluke and lm hard on all meters.

Post Likes
    I can agree with everyone here, sometimes you can get a lime or lemon and depends on the onwers abuse.

Post Likes
    I have the fluke 902 fc as well as my primary meter it does almost everything i need it to do on a daily basis and is the meter I carry. I wish the ohm reading was higher and I also wish it did millivolts. I deal with alot of fireplaces so that is something that I would like. I also have the amprobe NAV51 as a backup. I have a few meters to be honest. I actually bought both of them at the same time because I was torn what one to buy. I figured I would pick the one I liked and go with it.

I think the fluke is a little more solid and simple to be honest. They both come with shitty leads so you will want to buy different ones anyways. I have fluke silicone ones that i can use different probes and clips on. The case is nicer with the fluke but I just put them in my veto anyways. The backlight is better on the amprobe and it is more feature rich. It has never let me down and its actually simple to use once you get use to the joystick sort of thing. It has a light which is nice in certain situations and it is a pretty stout meter in my opinion. its never let me down. it will do watts and hertz and it will do in rush current. That is the reason I bought it.

I dont really like fieldpiece stuff either I would like to have one meter to do everything. But some of their meters you would need another bag to carry them around they are huge. For the few times I need something different I can make the trek to the truck. As for what buddy said about buying a cheap meter for a dangerous place where your meter could get damaged. I was always taught to buy good tools If I was going to buy something cheap it might be a screwdriver but not a meter that I trust my life with. No matter where your using it if it breaks get your company to replace it. Price should not be a factor when buying a meter.

20. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I was a fan of fieldpieces, but not so much now. My current fieldpiece jumps all over the place with the amps, so I have to use my 25-year-old analog meter to check amps. Some of my other field piece meters have lived very short lives, and I take good care of them. My fieldpiece wireless temp clamp quit working just barely after a year. I'm not bashing fieldpiece, but I think it's more of a budget-friendly starter meter and not meant to last. I literally used my Fieldpiece RPM meter three times, and the screen turned to jibberish. They need to start using the same Chinese factory that Fluke uses.

22. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I chose fielpiece 620

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12