Thread: PVC FLUE PIPE QUESTION

Post Likes

PVC FLUE PIPE QUESTION

The question is , how do you join / glue pvc schedule 40 to the furnace black plastic collar? The furnace is a high efficiency furnace, the inducer motor has an elbow the goes out to the black collar where the PVC is to be inserted into the collar but the manual does not specify how to join the two types of plastic.
    Im a 2nd year technician in the field and I need some insight into this. Thanks .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAM2021 View Post
    The question is , how do you join / glue pvc schedule 40 to the furnace black plastic collar? The furnace is a high efficiency furnace, the inducer motor has an elbow the goes out to the black collar where the PVC is to be inserted into the collar but the manual does not specify how to join the two types of plastic.
    Im a 2nd year technician in the field and I need some insight into this. Thanks .
    RTV silicone.
    "Life, Liberty, and Levin!"

3. Likes JCAM2021 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    And let me add, you don't want to "join" them. Be liberal with the silicone and make sure it seals, but can be easily removed for service.

5. Likes JCAM2021 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    semi tight fit and single short self tap screw just snug enough to hold it in position. lol.....not!
    its called a transition coupling...its a rubber boot with a metal sleeve with 2 screw clamps on the end..
    https://www.pexuniverse.com/transition-couplings

Post Likes
    Thank you for your response. I was contemplating using JB Weld for plastic, it sucks the manual does not specify, and when I called Ruud they wouldnt help.
    FYI - it happens to be a ruud 96% efficiency furnace, horizontal vent, this is the only detail holding me up before I can proceed with my install.
    From the factory this ruud unit has a black plastic elbow with a female socket where the PVC is supposed to be inserted. The 2" PVC inserts perfectly , now I will proceed with RTV.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Where did you get this furnace?
    How did you size it?

Post Likes
    I don’t do any rheem Rudd but a lot of manu are catching on that their units need maintenance, and have a rubber boot to transition to the pvc. This is best case in all scenarios then you need to do maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JCAM2021 View Post
    Thank you for your response. I was contemplating using JB Weld for plastic, it sucks the manual does not specify, and when I called Ruud they wouldnt help.
    FYI - it happens to be a ruud 96% efficiency furnace, horizontal vent, this is the only detail holding me up before I can proceed with my install.
    From the factory this ruud unit has a black plastic elbow with a female socket where the PVC is supposed to be inserted. The 2" PVC inserts perfectly , now I will proceed with RTV.
    Thanks
    All you need to do.

11. Likes JCAM2021 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did you get the conversion kit for the horizontal vent?

Post Likes
    I will apologize in advanced for this post, please take it personally but it is meant for all to consider.

Shame on you for even considering JB weld or any other permanent sealant on this or any other connection. the important point I am trying to make here is always, always, always consider future service when you are doing an install. In the case of this pvc pipe how will anyone ever get it apart again if you use JB weld or even PVC glue on it. You have no clue as to how many times I have run into situation where you can not get into a coil because of the way a PVC vent was put together, or the way lines were run, or the drain was connected.

Sorry for the rant, this is a pet peeve of mine.

14. Likes JCAM2021, Juan Madera, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I will apologize in advanced for this post, please take it personally but it is meant for all to consider.

Shame on you for even considering JB weld or any other permanent sealant on this or any other connection. the important point I am trying to make here is always, always, always consider future service when you are doing an install. In the case of this pvc pipe how will anyone ever get it apart again if you use JB weld or even PVC glue on it. You have no clue as to how many times I have run into situation where you can not get into a coil because of the way a PVC vent was put together, or the way lines were run, or the drain was connected.

Been a while since I've done any furnace installs but I dont recall ever reading in the IOM.................... Prime and Glue that connection!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post

And by default as mentioned! Transition coupling!
    When I see the same glue jobs, inside the AH , For me it’s always cut the pvc and then Add the 2” splice coupling into it..

I had a few customers say “ oh! That’s how it’s done!” Lol

I cannot begin to tell you how many gurgling/popping complaints on the long exhaust runs I have fixed also because the pitch was wrong....Lol

17. Likes JCAM2021, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The transition couplings make sense, thanks for the link!

Post Likes
    Yes I did, but the conversion kit didnt come with any extra couplings or elbows that would make the pvc flue installation easier or have it make sense.
    The furnace is horizontal, going left flow left vent, and the furnace has a female socket where the pvc flue inserts into, if it was a nipple instead of a socket I would be able to easily use a coupler.
    Wish I could post a picture of it so you guys can see But I hope my explanation makes sense.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I don’t do any rheem Rudd but a lot of manu are catching on that their units need maintenance, and have a rubber boot to transition to the pvc. This is best case in all scenarios then you need to do maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would be great if I can use a rubber coupler instead of trying to RTV or JB weld the pvc pipe, its just that this Ruud unit is just made in such a way that the internal rubber boot does not align with the pvc,
    So the ruud DOES have a boot coming off the actual inducer but the dumb part is that it does not align with the penetration where the PVC comes in, wish I could post a picture of it LOL.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Where did you get this furnace?
    How did you size it?
    it purchased through a local parts house ( they're a rheem ruud distributor ) . The sizing/recommendation was done by an engineer , its new construction for an ADU ( accessory dwelling unit aka granny flat )