Thread: Online school for Va. Journeyman. Penn Foster experience?

Post Likes

Online school for Va. Journeyman. Penn Foster experience?

To be able to sit for the Virginia journeyman test i need to come up with 240 hours of formal vocational training. If it takes me a year it'll only be 160 hours.
    I just started looking at online schools. Penn Foster was first name to come up so I've been looking a little into that.
    I just need/want to be able to get through a program as quickly as possible keeping in mind I'll be working full days.
    I'm looking for any opinions on on-line schools and the approval process of getting approved to take the test in Va.
    As far as the school goes I'm not worried too much about quality of education but more the ease of using the program and getting through it.
    Don't let the statement let you think I'm trying to skate through. I've been in the trade now for 17 years and decided I finally want official licensing.
    Cost for the school is low on the priority list. My employer is paying for all my continuing education and before I did too much research I told him I'd need to go to a community college for a couple of years and it would cost him $1500 a semester. He didn't care.

Basically any opinions on other online schools to look at and any advice on the approval process for Virginia would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    tommy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by liltommy View Post
    To be able to sit for the Virginia journeyman test i need to come up with 240 hours of formal vocational training.

I've been in the trade now for 17 years and decided I finally want official licensing.

Basically any opinions on other online schools to look at and any advice on the approval process for Virginia would be appreciated.
    Can you get those 17 years verified? If so, you don't need the education requirement.

The statute reads:

18VAC50-30-40. Evidence of ability and proficiency

A. Applicants for examination to be licensed as a journeyman shall furnish evidence that one of the following experience and education standards has been attained:

1. Four years of practical experience in the trade and 240 hours of formal vocational training in the trade. Experience in excess of four years may be substituted for formal vocational training at a ratio of one year of experience for 80 hours of formal training, but not to exceed 200 hours;

2. Four years of practical experience and 80 hours of vocational training for liquefied petroleum gas fitters and natural gas fitter providers except that no substitute experience will be allowed for liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas workers;

3. An associate degree or a certificate of completion from at least a two-year program in a tradesman-related field from an accredited community college or technical school as evidenced by a transcript from the educational institution and two years of practical experience in the trade for which licensure is desired;

4. A bachelor's degree received from an accredited college or university in an engineering curriculum related to the trade and one year of practical experience in the trade for which licensure is desired; or

5. An applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade as verified by reference letters of experience from any of the following: building officials, building inspectors, current or former employers, contractors, engineers, architects or current or past clients attesting to the applicant's work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the journeyman's level examination without having to meet the educational requirements.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    No. I can only get the last 4 years verified. My previous employer went out of business 2 years ago and while I was there they used 4 different masters licenses to work. I didn't leave on very good terms with the owner and wouldn't even know how to get it touch with any of the masters. The 1st and best master who I worked under for most of the time died. Thanks for the thought though.