Thread: Heat Pump problems and gas furnace question, please help

Post Likes

Question Heat Pump problems and gas furnace question, please help

Hi there, new to the forum and looking for some guidance here, because I have technicians telling me different things.

All electric house with 3 Heat Pump units:
    20 YO Trane condenser (4 ton) and 7 YO Goodman handler unit has been having problems with providing adequate heat. Warranty call technician said everything is fine and I just need to get rid of my Nest therm and run it in emergency mode all the time. Second (non-warranty) tech said that we should get rid of the 2 stage (was running 1 strip and emergency would call all 3) and wired all three strips to come on with alt heat (not sure if I like that idea, essentially emergency mode all the time). He also told me that my compressor was going out and we should look to replace (overload when it kicks on and already has/had a hard start kit). I have a warranty call in to verify that and see if they are wiling to replace at all.

Gas Option: Property does not currently have gas, but the utility co will run it to my house. Is it cost effective to have a plumber plumb my house to accept gas and begin phasing out the electric appliances. The two other Heat Pump systems are operating as I believe they should.

A LOT to ask and all over the place, but that's what I'm dealing with and really need the help.

DJ

Post Likes
    First, I hate Nest. It causes weird and intermittent problems. Replace it no matter what else is wrong with the system.

You have not posted any useful information about the performance of the heat pump. In spite of the mis-matched equipment which won't perform as well as matched equipment, we'd need to know refrigerant pressures, pipe temperatures, superheat and subcooling, static pressures, etc. before we can comment on how well the heat pump is working.

Add to that the changes in refrigerant in new equipment and the need for a designed and sealed duct system. Plus it seems your "technicians" are not knowledgeable.

Also, how big (or how leaky) is your house that it needs THREE heat pumps. Don't forget that properly SIZED equipment is important, too.

Don't plunge into gas heat before getting a good technician to find out what the real problem is.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Yeah, you need a technician that knows what is supposed to be occurring when. From what you have stated, not sure either of these "tech" should be allowed to touch any equipment.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Warranty Call

As in Warranty Company?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    First, I hate Nest. It causes weird and intermittent problems. Replace it no matter what else is wrong with the system.

You have not posted any useful information about the performance of the heat pump. In spite of the mis-matched equipment which won't perform as well as matched equipment, we'd need to know refrigerant pressures, pipe temperatures, superheat and subcooling, static pressures, etc. before we can comment on how well the heat pump is working.

Add to that the changes in refrigerant in new equipment and the need for a designed and sealed duct system. Plus it seems your "technicians" are not knowledgeable.

Also, how big (or how leaky) is your house that it needs THREE heat pumps. Don't forget that properly SIZED equipment is important, too.

Don't plunge into gas heat before getting a good technician to find out what the real problem is.
    Thank you all for the replies and apologies as I don’t have answers for the pipe temp or pressure. I would love to find a qualified tech that actually could answer those questions.
    Little more about my setup. House is 4k’ and had one 2 ton HP upstairs (@1000’). Downstairs has 2 units one East and West side of the house. The east one is the one having performance issues and based on my estimate it covers @2k’. Ducts are in the slab and I’m not aware of any damage to them.
    Thermometer test tonight results are as follows. External temp = 43 degrees and HP appears to be operating on on the compressor for this test. Closest register measured right at 90 degrees and at furthest run (master) the roster measured 77 degrees.

When we had the house inspected (August in Oklahoma) the inspector noted the heat would not do the desired 15 degree difference. Owner and their (American home shield warranty) hvac company said it just needed to be run in emergency mode. In fact the prior owner had installed an old school thermo to accomplish that setting.

Hopefully there’s something in there to give better insight. I have a co coming out tomorrow to quote a new system. Home warranty associated hvac co will be coming out Monday to assess the compressor and see if there is a way to cover it.

DJ

Post Likes
    American Home Shield, there is the crutch of the tech issue. They are worse than a 3 ring circus, any home warranty company for that matter.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Dump the home warranty. Is is NOT an insurance company, as many victims think. Hire a good contractor to look things over.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Dump the home warranty. Is is NOT an insurance company, as many victims think. Hire a good contractor to look things over.
    Understand completely and that’s why I hired a different company outside of warranty provided company. Even asked for recommendations and what I ended up with is a young guy that wired all three of my heat strips to come on at once. Also since he did that I can’t seem to get aux heat to come on, even when set point is reach or bumping thermo up several degrees.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjones21 View Post
    Understand completely and that’s why I hired a different company outside of warranty provided company. Even asked for recommendations and what I ended up with is a young guy that wired all three of my heat strips to come on at once. Also since he did that I can’t seem to get aux heat to come on, even when set point is reach or bumping thermo up several degrees.
    Then make him come back and correct it!
    Advise the contractor you want a more senior tech.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in