Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code inspection - fail

Post Likes

Code inspection - fail

Hey guys - GC out of PA/NJ here. Stepping in (not by choice) to close out a rehab job. Township (HVAC/plumbing) inspector Red tagged the final, calling out the attached. #3 I get but could someone lend some insight into #1 & #2? Pics at end.

Name:  IMG_6054.JPG
Views: 846
Size:  2.21 MBName:  IMG_6054.JPG
Views: 846
Size:  2.21 MB

Name:  IMG_6060.JPG
Views: 887
Size:  2.38 MBName:  IMG_6059.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  2.30 MBName:  IMG_6057.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  1.97 MBName:  IMG_6056.JPG
Views: 834
Size:  1.97 MB

Post Likes
    I believe he means the vent must use B VENT. No single wall allowed. That's the case in my area.

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    I believe he means the vent must use B VENT. No single wall. That's the case in my area.
    Potentially, but all ducting needs to be b-vent? and what does he mean "backwards"? I'm not seeing that.

Post Likes
    I'd guess since we aren't seeing the whole vent system, the "backwards" issue is not in the pictures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bhamberg View Post
    Potentially, but all ducting needs to be b-vent? and what does he mean "backwards"? I'm not seeing that.
    The only thing I can see on the 'backwards" comment is there are 2 ways to run vent pipe. One is like you have it where the joints run the same direction as the flow so the flue gases stay in the pipe. The other way is like in wood chimneys the joints run backwards so that things like tar/creosote stay in the pipe rather than run out at the joints as there is generally enough draft to keep the smoke in the pipe.

The way you have the pipe would be normal for a gas flue. The only issue may be the B-vent as stated.

7. Likes bhamberg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Referencing comment #1- Flue Piping Backwards:

It is really hard to tell from your pictures so I am speculating here, but the fuel gas code 503.10.4 (Two or more appliances connected to a single vent) states:

Where two or more vent connectors enter a common gas vent, chimney flue, or single wall pipe, the smaller connector shall enter at the highest level consistent with the available headroom or clearance to combustible material.

Now if both the connectors are the same size, it shouldn’t matter.

I know in most cases the Fan Assisted appliance has a greater BTUH than the water heater, and therefore has a larger vent connector, so the code would apply.

Referencing comment #2:

I’m not sure what it says - “Flue not ****** (connected ???) to B-vent riser”.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    You freaking inspector needs to get out of the 70's and print out something legible, at a minimum in an email, so you can actually figure out what the hell he is talking about and not have to decipher his chicken scratch.

Post Likes
    I see a coupler built into the vent that's on the outside at both ends. And that certainly doesn't pass up here.
    Need to pop it a part and crimp that end so it slides into the downstream pipe. Maybe that qualifies as backward.

11. Likes Bazooka Joe, CEAS-AC-TECH, stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    You freaking inspector needs to get out of the 70's and print out something legible, at a minimum in an email, so you can actually figure out what the hell he is talking about and not have to decipher his chicken scratch.
    bhamberg,
    I agree with BALloyd about the AHJ. Poor notification all around.
    The burning question I have is, Why aren't you demanding that the person/company that installed all that stuff correct the problems ? Hopefully you held retention.

I have to say it; It looks to me like some handy man did the work, went stealth on you and you, being the GC, got stuck with the problems. The 1/2" x 24" sticker on the Gas line looks like a Big Box store purchase.

I hope I am wrong for your sake.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

13. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    No pic showing connection to B-vent. You should have a "draft hood connector" as your transition to single walled pipe. That allows you to connect the single walled piping without risk of penetrating the insulated section of the first section of B-vent. That draft hood connector, just like all the sections of B-vent is a male-down connection.

The vent connector is not listed so there is no prescription from a mfr. whether male up or down. There is nothing in either major gas code requiring a male up or down connection. Nothing in NFPA 211. Unless he has a local ordinance to the effect of male up or down, he has no leg to stand on. This is a negative vent pressure system. It makes no difference on performance and no difference on spillage of flue gases as long as there is draft in those vents. Nothing prohibiting a double male or double female (shown).

The WH has two options in the code: You can put the lower BTU input appliance (typically WH) above the larger appliance OR, you're allowed to manifold them just before it enters the B-vent. You have to size the manifold correctly.
    HTH,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    I see a coupler built into the vent that's on the outside at both ends.

Photo 1:28:21

I see the homemade coupler is correct on one side, ( right side ) but the side closest to the ripped lineset insulation needs a redo. The other redo is the elbow that fits into the correct side of the coupler, but the other end of that elbow. Thinking the same,....that that’s what the inspector was referencing in note #1

Post Likes
    What is this contraption 🤔
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Really ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    My mistake,....” The other redo is the elbow that fits into the correct side of the coupler, but the other end of that elbow.” That end looks OK, ( post #11 comments ) little deceiving looking at it thou.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    I see a coupler built into the vent that's on the outside at both ends. And that certainly doesn't pass up here.
    Need to pop it a part and crimp that end so it slides into the downstream pipe. Maybe that qualifies as backward.
    I agree. Look at the last picture. The horizontal run has a piece of pipe with no crimp. It slides on the outside of both adjoining pipes.
    In our area, we can run single wall pipe inside, but must convert to b-vent before we leave the building.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Post Likes
    There's nothing in the codes and stds. prohibiting a double female single walled vent connector in the IRC Ch 24 or NFPA 54. If you have your requisite min. 2 screws per joint, what's the problem?

21. Likes jmac00 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    __
    Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    I believe he means the vent must use B VENT. No single wall allowed. That's the case in my area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Referencing comment #2:

I’m not sure what it says - “Flue not ****** (connected ???) to B-vent riser”.
    That is correct. Doesn't appear they used a b-vent (riser) to the exterior. (my limited knowledge) Question is how much has to be b-vent?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    From your lips to the townships manager's ears!!! AND trying to get them on the phone to explain is futile

Post Likes
    Hey Cagey - (very) long story but these are foreclosure properties that are repaired then transitioned over to a Bank. Short answer is that contractor was paid, and is long gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey57 View Post
    bhamberg,
    I agree with BALloyd about the AHJ. Poor notification all around.
    The burning question I have is, Why aren't you demanding that the person/company that installed all that stuff correct the problems ? Hopefully you held retention.

I have to say it; It looks to me like some handy man did the work, went stealth on you and you, being the GC, got stuck with the problems. The 1/2" x 24" sticker on the Gas line looks like a Big Box store purchase.

I hope I am wrong for your sake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in