+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Milwaukee threader

Post Likes

Milwaukee threader

Anyone use the Milwaukee threader?

I swear by using the threading dies in a circular motion causes the threads in the pipe to get messed up.

Using the old ridgid tristand power vise with a hand threader creates better threads because the dies are stationary.

Anyone have any input?

Maybe i need to use a better oil with the Milwaukee? I have been using spray lubricant. Maybe i need to go back to the oil bucket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    i still have my manual rigid 3 head tap, with vise tripod and oiler...it has to be a clean square cut with a pipe cutter but i grind the tiny lip if one is present slightly, the secret sauce....you need oil on the threads or else you will chip the cutting teeth and make the tool useless...

used semi synthetic /full synthetic motor oil and old vacuum pump oil also works!
    Last edited by Unlimited1; 01-05-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Post Likes
    I use heavy duty ridgid cutters to cut it square.

I oil generously with CRC spray cutting oil. I think im going to try different oil and see.

Using old school power vise with hand threader and ridgid oil bucket always worked well

Post Likes
    what kind of problems are you having?

teeth need to be properly set in the die, in the correct order, etc.

even with crappy oil, it should cut fine.....until the teeth get damaged anyway!

I just bought a Toledo tools 300 threader with cheapo dies. once I got the correct depth dialed in, it works just as well as any other threader.

5. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Same concept as a rigid 600, etc... Those have worked for decades.

May need use more oil then your used to.

My manual ratchet threaders also rotate the head around a stationary pipe. They work fine, till the head gets warped.

Im not too familiar with the milwaukee, but how are the threads started? By hand or by power?

If by power, making sure its starts square is critical. Also, you can probably set the dies with a known good thread like a factory nipple.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Got a new ridgid bucket and dark cutting oil. Everything works fine now.

I was trying to use aerosol type cutting oil which doesn't work.

However, I ordered sprayon oil to try as a on the fly oil. This was for the times when u only need a few threads and don't want to setup a full cutting station.

The sprayon actually works well and has no threading issues.

Post Likes
    I posted the same question last year, same issue wrong oil. Home Depot actual has Oatey oil next to the gas pipe in stock. When I used the proper oil it cut like a knife through butter.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Got a new ridgid bucket and dark cutting oil. Everything works fine now.

I was trying to use aerosol type cutting oil which doesn't work.

However, I ordered sprayon oil to try as a on the fly oil. This was for the times when u only need a few threads and don't want to setup a full cutting station.

The sprayon actually works well and has no threading issues.

Rigid and Rothenberger both have spray oil cans that work.

Never tried with a power driven threader, but for manual threading its way easier then setting up the oiling bucket. A lot less messy aswell.

But for power drive threaders, need lots of oil for sure.

Post Likes
    I watched a video with a guy reviewing the Milwaukee hand power threader. He had Ridged dies in it. Used an aerosol oil on the pipe and had no issues. Video was shot on several jobsites.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post

Never tried with a power driven threader, but for manual threading its way easier then setting up the oiling bucket. A lot less messy aswell.

Yeah, even if I only use it a handful of times a year, the power threader was WELL worth the money.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post

I tried finding both of those. It appears rothenberger doesn't make it anymore.

I did find a spray bottle(non aerosol) and an aerosol made by "sprayon" that worked awesome

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    I tried finding both of those. It appears rothenberger doesn't make it anymore.

I did find a spray bottle(non aerosol) and an aerosol made by "sprayon" that worked awesome

I get mine at the pipe supply house. Porter Pipe in my case. I would think a similar company exists near you.

Post Likes
    I have a Rigid 600, always use the furnished pipe clamp even for 1/2".
    For oiling I use an empty Zoom oiler bottle with the small pull out tube removed.

Fill with pipe cutting oil.
    As the die turns I keep the spout in the die between jaw teeth, as the spout is near the top as things rotate the bottle is squeezed and puts oil at the top of the approaching teeth and the oil runs around the pipe.

Less oil wasted and if the plastic spout got into the threading process it would not chip a tooth like a steel oil can spout might.

The small bottle holds enough oil for the few threads I might have to make. Leave the gallon jug in the truck or shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in