Closed Thread

Thread: Need help in finding a leak and advise

Post Likes

Need help in finding a leak and advise

The short: I bought a used natural gas insert. Everything is installed and in place and I've got a leak I can't find using the soapy/glycerin/water mix.

The long: My forced air gas furnace is to the right of my fireplace in an enclosed closet. Everything works as it should. I bought a used newer gas insert. I teed into the gas furnace gas line and ran the new flex gas line through the hole I drilled into the fireplace brick. Without connecting the gas insert, I did a leak test on all the new along with existing gas pipe. Leak down good. (we can go over what I've found is considered a pass later if needed) I then connected the the insert with the existing flex pipe that it came with. Bad leak. I chased it down to(using bubbles) the junction of the old flex pipe and gas insert valve block. replaced the flex line and no leaks detected. Doesn't leak as fast, but still leaks. I pump it up with around 16psi of air and it leaks down 5 psi in 15 minutes or so. I then do the test again, but spray the bubble mix all over the valve body, but can't detect any leaks at all. I'm at a loss now on trying to figure out what's wrong. I think it points to the valve body being bad...the internal valve not shut off completely. The last thing I did was plug the output on the valve body and did the leak down test again and there’s still a leak. This tells me the valve body is bad I think, but maybe a small leak is acceptable? Keep in mind, I don’t have gas service active as I didn’t want to call the gas company to start service until everything was good to go. If I need to replace my valve body(PN listed above), I’m finding on the internet, that it’s obsolete and can’t find a replacement. Anyone know a replacement PN/source?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Please read the site rules you agreed to when you signed up. We cannot help you.

There is no DIY advice given.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Please read the site rules you agreed to when you signed up. We cannot help you.

There is no DIY advice given.

Hmm..No one reads the site rules, but that said..the forum admin approved my post. Can you recommend any forums that I might get help then?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity17 View Post
    Hmm..No one reads the site rules, but that said..the forum admin approved my post. Can you recommend any forums that I might get help then?
    No one approved your post. They will be along shortly I am sure to lock the thread.

Use your favorite search engine. There are plenty of sites to pose your question.

5. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A wall of words nobody reads them ....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    No one approved your post. They will be along shortly I am sure to lock the thread.

Use your favorite search engine. There are plenty of sites to pose your question.

Are you always a DICK? All I asked for is some help. If you have no clue or weren't going to offer any help, then why reply? If I posted in the wrong forum, why not offer some direction to one that could help me instead of being a dick BALloyd.

8. Likes misterfix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sorry, we’re not a DIY site.

Thread closed.

10. Likes VTP99, BALloyd, misterfix liked this post.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in